Devil’s Hall Guadalupe Mountains National Park Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devil’s Hall Guadalupe Mountains National Park Texas

At first glance, the high desert of West Texas doesn’t have too much in common with New York’s Adirondack Mountains. Recently, though, I hiked a delightful trail in the Guadalupe Mountains National Park (110 miles east of El Paso) that brought back strong memories of the ADK High Peaks.

Guadalupe Mountain, Texas’ highest point, lends its name to this 135-square mile national park (Photo One), which was established in 1972. Over 80 miles of trails lead to Guadalupe’s summit, as well as several other mountaintops (Photo Two – El Capitan) throughout the property. I was interested in exploring a feature known as “The Devil’s Hall”, a 4.2 mile roundtrip walk from the park’s Pine Springs trailhead.

Checking into the nearby Visitors Center (Photo Three), I got an update on trail conditions from a friendly Park Ranger. Then it was off to hit the hiking path. The first mile was easy to follow, although the National Park Service doesn’t put the same emphasis on marking trails as does NYSDEC. While on this path I was observed by three curious mule deer (Photo Four).

Occasional signs pointed me around the shoulder of Guadalupe Mountain and down into what the locals call a “dry wash.” The trail then became what Adirondack trekkers know to be a slide. Another 1.1 mile of uphill rock-hopping brought me to a slate cobble labeled “The Hikers’ Staircase”. Then, in 200 yards I was greeted by a sign announcing my arrival at The Devil’s Hall. (Photo Five)

There’s no mistaking this 50-foot cleft in the limestone walls. It extends a good 100 feet down to the official trail’s end (Photo Six) and provides a dramatic backdrop for photographs or a quick break. My trip was in January – other visitors say the autumn colors are magnificent (I’m sure it’s heavily-visited then too).

A steady rock-hop back down the dry wash followed by that final mile on dirt paths returned me to my car about two hours after first setting out. Devil’s Hall is 2.1 miles and 700 vertical feet from the trailhead, a nice afternoon’s walk. As Adirondack slide-climbers know, good boots are a must on shifting, slippery rocks. Be prepared for the weather, too, as unexpected snow flurries (Photo Seven) transformed the cactus and Chamizal plants into a unique desert setting on the day of my visit.

If you go, Guadalupe Mountains National Park (http://www.nps.gov/gumo/) is far from civilization. Carlsbad, NM, 55 miles to the east, has dining, lodging and good local beer to wash the dust down your throat. It’s a long way to go to walk a slide, but for me hiking Devil’s Hall recalled many unforgettable Adirondack expeditions.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tredhed; 01-30-2016, 03:10 PM.
    "I don’t like being outdoors, Smithers. For one thing, there’s too many fat children." -- C. Montgomery Burns

Tick Magnet

Comment

Love the Siena hat. GO Saints!

Comment

Working...
      X