Cod Pond, WLWF, 5 Mar, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cod Pond, WLWF, 5 Mar, 2019

Well, it's been a while since I've been able to do a proper TR here. A crazy schedule plus a gooned up knee has caused me to take it easy for six weeks. Knowing my bum knee wasn't ready for a trek up Macho Grande, I was thankful to Tredhed for suggesting a relatively easy snowshoe trek to Cod Pond in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest.

After a quick stop to check on the cabin, we braved the frost heaves on Rt. 8 and made it to the trailhead in one piece.

Quickly suiting up, we headed uphill on the red disked Oregon Trail. To our pleasant surprise, it had been traveled by a snowmobile in recent times and was a pleasure to walk on.

We performed our civic duty and signed into the new register at the junction of the Oregon Trail and the Cod Pond trail. The snowmobile tracks continued up the Oregon Trail towards Stewart Creek Flow and North Bend.

We turned right onto the yellow disked Cod Pond trail. Again, snowmobiles had packed down the trail all the way to the pond.

Other than a few post holes, the trail was in very good shape with no blowdown.

Arriving at the pond in good order, we set off for the south shore to explore a little.

The cold wind stung our faces as we walked the .3 miles across the ice to the sheltered south end of the pond. The views of Harrington Mt. didn't disappoint.

Once in the shelter of the large pines on the southern most rocky point, Tredhed and I admired the view of Black Mt. some six miles distant into the Siamese Ponds Wilderness Area.

We snacked on some hot cocoa and let the quiet sink in. Although we were less that a mile from busy Rt. 8, we didn't hear any road noise. This is an extremely peaceful place. All that was left to do was to strike out across the pond and follow our tracks back to the Tredhed mobile. A short stop at George Henry's in Warrensburg for a pint of Fiddlehead rounded out a great day on the woods. With any luck, my knee won't give way on me and we'll be back out in the woods for another exciting trip report.
    Tick Magnet

Mmm...Fiddlehead!
    "I don’t like being outdoors, Smithers. For one thing, there’s too many fat children." -- C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by Tredhed View Post
      Mmm...Fiddlehead!

Comment

Tick, Glad you are once again trekking!
        "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Originally posted by geogymn View Post
          Tick, Glad you are once again trekking!
          Thanks Geo!
          Tick Magnet

Comment

Thanks for sharing your trip. I enjoyed the report and photos.
            "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
            - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Thanks for the TR. I need to take the quadrupeds and go up there in the winter.

Kathy

Comment

Hey Tick Magnet,

I like the way you embed your pics in the body of your post. I also like that they appear so large. How do you do this? I am not very tech savvy. So, I just shrink my jpegs using a desktop app (Paint) and then make them attachments. But then they are tacked on at the end of the post instead of embedded within it, and the pics are really small.

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by Schip View Post
                  Hey Tick Magnet,

I like the way you embed your pics in the body of your post. I also like that they appear so large. How do you do this? I am not very tech savvy. So, I just shrink my jpegs using a desktop app (Paint) and then make them attachments. But then they are tacked on at the end of the post instead of embedded within it, and the pics are really small.

Kathy
                  Kathy,

I used to do what your doing until I started using Google for my photo management. When I put the images on a shared Google album, I just copy the url from the "copy image address" line (right click on the image) and paste it to the "insert image" icon in the Forum. I always check "preview post" before I submit as sometimes they don't work out right the first time.

It took me a while to crack the code on this, but I like the way it turns out. It cuts my image processing time and lets the pictures tell the story.

Good luck

Ken
                  Tick Magnet

Comment

Working...
                  X