Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #21
SacandagaSchout

Thanks so much for the advice, guys.

I went back to the same spot today and tried my hand at calling again (no deke yet). But in 2.5 hours got no gobbles. On my way out I saw a freshly mauled turkey just off the path, near where my gobbler had flown off to. I hope it wasn't my gobbler. I'm in pure forest preserve on all sides so the population isn't that large. Think it's worth it to go back to this spot? Am I on the turkeys and the coyotes just took their share? Plenty of land to move on to if need be.
SacandagaSchout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:53 AM   #22
cutbait

You may try that spot again, maybe a few times just to make sure. Turkeys do wander and can cover a lot of ground. Seeing a mauled one isn't good, if as you say there are not that many in your area; that reduces your chances right there.

If you know other areas where there are birds, you may try to give those places a try. If there are turkeys around, you should be able to call one in. Knowing for sure that turkeys are in the area is the #1 thing. Keep at it and you will be successful and you are learning a lot as you go.

If you are hunting public land and it's not pressured by other hunters that also helps your chances. Having other hunters moving around near you will really screw things up. In any event, be very careful.

Good luck.
cutbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #23
Woodly

I wonder if the 'mauled' turkey had been wounded elsewhere by another hunter. I hope it wasn't your big one.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:28 PM   #24
SacandagaSchout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
I wonder if the 'mauled' turkey had been wounded elsewhere by another hunter. I hope it wasn't your big one.
I sure hope not. And I haven't seen anyone else near there so I doubt it had been wounded by another hunter.

It was a torn-off and chewed on turkey head next to a bit of intestines. I've got a photo, don't want to post gore but if anyone's interested fee free to PM me. What a way to go out.

Going back Saturday so stay tuned.
SacandagaSchout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #25
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacandagaSchout View Post

Going back Saturday so stay tuned.
I'm getting my snow camo out for Saturday. Just in case!
Old 05-19-2020, 04:09 PM   #26
Buckladd

The quietness of this thread tells me it's quiet in the woods. That's what I'm hearing. I got lucky and filled tag no. 2 on Sunday, Lake George Wild Forest public land, no less. Got lucky, found a flock and hunted it 3 out of 4 days. Hen came in and eventually brought three toms with her. I took the closest one, a jake with a 6" beard who was in full strut just before I popped him. The weekend with the snow was really tough, and windy. Hoping it didn't hurt nesting. I had hardly seen any hens until last weekend, then they just started coming into my calling. If only gobblers were as easy. Good luck, keep at it.