Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
Edb 46 er

Closed areas

Do any of you know if certain areas in the south western Adirondacks are closed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/120286.html

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:44 PM   #3
Edb 46 er

Duct tape, thanks. Cabin fever over here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
bridgeman

I was planning on canoeing to one of the sites on the east side of Indian Lake this weekend and staying overnight.

Tried calling the DEC campground to see if that would be permissible and nobody picked up. I will try again.

In the mean time, would anyone know if this would be permitted?
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeman View Post
I was planning on canoeing to one of the sites on the east side of Indian Lake this weekend and staying overnight.

Tried calling the DEC campground to see if that would be permissible and nobody picked up. I will try again.

In the mean time, would anyone know if this would be permitted?
You could call DEC Regional headquarters
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:20 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yeah, the campground phone number probably goes straight to the office at the campground itself... which even in a normal season would not be opened and staffed for a few more weeks at least. I'd try calling either the Northville or Raybrook DEC offices instead.

As I understand it, Indian Lake Islands is one of the campgrounds that reverts to "backcountry regulations" when the campground is shut down for the season (first-come first-serve, 3 night stay, etc.). Things might be different with the Coronavirus issue, though. Some of the campgrounds require a permit for off-season camping and I know that the DEC is not currently issuing camping permits. And the rules can vary from year to year (and intentionally are not publicly published because while off-season use of some campgrounds is permitted, it's not something that the DEC is keen on promoting). So in any case, regardless of what info you get online, this is a question that it's always good to get an answer directly from the DEC on.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:00 PM   #7
Bob K

Indian lake remote camping

Have camped here many times late April or May before formal reservations start. Boat launch open, parking available, many free sites - enjoy. Be careful of wind & cold water.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:21 PM   #8
bridgeman

Talked to someone at the Indian Lake office today. The launch is open. I didn't find out if it's ok to park overnight.

From comments, it seems that i shouldn't have any issues.

I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #9
paddles

Quote:
Talked to someone at the Indian Lake office today. The launch is open. I didn't find out if it's ok to park overnight.

From comments, it seems that i shouldn't have any issues.

I will let you all know how it goes.
There are a couple pulloffs just a bit north on Rt 30 where you could get a canoe into the water if you’re concerned about overnight parking at the DEC launch.
paddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yeah, some boat launches are under the jurisdiction of Fish and Wildlife, not Lands and Forests- and don't allow overnight parking (or in some cases they do allow overnight parking but parking is limited to 24 consecutive hours). So with the boat launches it's usually a good idea to double check, just to be sure.

Since the boat launch on Indian Lake is part of the campground I'd assume you'd be OK to park there overnight but it can't hurt to ask just in case.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:21 AM   #11
bridgeman

The boat launch was open and ok to park overnight or longer. No charge to park as of last weekend. We only saw a couple of groups camping. There was nobody on the south end of the lake heading towards the Jessup River. We were hoping to camp at Site 51 and were surprised that it was closed for renovation. There is a pile of parts for a new lean to, that I assume will be constructed this year.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:52 AM   #12
Wldrns

Quote:
We were hoping to camp at Site 51 and were surprised that it was closed for renovation. There is a pile of parts for a new lean to, that I assume will be constructed this year.
Correct, Lean2Rescue was scheduled to work in there this spring, but alas.....

This would be the second of a total of four new leantos to be erected at sites on the lake.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:11 AM   #13
bridgeman

Do you know if the lean to's will be part of the campground reservation system?
Old 05-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #14
Wldrns

They are/will be on currently existing numbered sites that are part of the campground system. The previously constructed one is on site #27. I don't know where the next two (after site51) are going.