Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
njbirdman

DEC reservation cancelled

I knew it was coming but still sucks to get the email. My yearly trip to Indian Lake area has been canceled by the DEC and Im getting a full refund. The notice says they could be open by June 1 :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
njbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #2
bioguide

Bummer.

So here is a question: Normally when Indian Lake Island Campground is closed the camp sites are available to use on a first come basis as it's considered back county camping. The boat launch is open for use, actually it's open year round for use. My question is: is camping on Indian Lake altogether shut down? Anybody know?
Old 05-04-2020, 07:44 PM   #3
Pauly D.

Good question Bio. The DEC website says you should stay local and keep visits short if you want to get out during COVID. Is overnight primitive camping allowed anywhere in the Park?
Old 05-04-2020, 10:18 PM   #4
bioguide

I found this statement: Backcountry/Primitive Camping on State Land: Due to COVID-19, there is a list of areas where overnight camping is temporarily suspended (last updated 4/24/20) https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/120286.html

It's not a blanket camping suspension for the Park.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:46 AM   #5
njbirdman

From the DEC:

2020 Camping Season : To reduce potential community spread of COVID-19, all campsites and cabins are closed to overnight visitation through May 31st. For those with cottage reservations, there is a possibility the stay restriction will be lifted prior to June 1. All visitors with reservations will be issued a full refund and no further action is required. We ask for your patience as refunds are processed. It may still be possible for the public to enter a park or campground to access trails, or to walk or bike on the campground roadways, and enjoy other passive recreation (please note: motorized vehicles are prohibited from entering DEC Campgrounds). We encourage the public to visit in small groups limited to immediate household members and practice social distancing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
njbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:34 AM   #6
Buckladd

It is going to be really interesting to see what decisions are made regarding camping at DEC Campgrounds and State Parks. So much to consider, especially the use of bathrooms and showers.

I'm wondering if they'll open to those with self-contained units only, which would omit a big bunch of users (tents, pop-ups) unless they brought their own. We have a small canned-ham RV and I have never used any of the water facilities in any RV I've owned. The bathroom is just a closet for us.

But my wife and I are re-thinking it if such a rule were applied as we have reservations all over the Adirondacks from June to September, and man could we use a nice camping trip about now.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:05 AM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

NY State also currently has a hiring freeze. I'm not sure how this affects DEC campground staff, but a strict interpretation of the language would seem to imply that the DEC cannot hire seasonal employees right now. The vast majority of campground staff are seasonal.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote