Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2021, 03:16 PM   #41
St.Regis

There is a trail from the pull off down to the western end of LP. It's not long, but it is a moderate hill
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #42
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
There is a trail from the pull off down to the western end of LP. It's not long, but it is a moderate hill
There's a full parking area there. One of the larger/better ones actually.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:44 PM   #43
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffae View Post
just have to find a way to make sure it doesn't end up at the bottom of the pond
Piece of foam from a pool noodle would probably do it for the paddle. The fish pole might be best to tether to the canoe.

I know the paddle was a big success for my niece when she was small. You can get little plastic ones that hardly move the boat but the kid has fun.

The 5 yo could probably practice with a real paddle - a wood one might be too heavy but aluminum/plastic or carbon fiber (if you got bank) would be easier to handle.

Last edited by montcalm; 04-14-2021 at 05:57 PM..
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:02 PM   #44
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I'll definitely ditto the tarp recommendations. For group trips I always haul a big hardware store tarp into the woods with me- I think mine is 12'x15'. I find it to be well worth the added weight; having dry space to hang out in that isn't your tent makes a huge difference when it is wet. Hardware store tarps aren't light, but the advantage to them is that they are fairly durable while also being cheap to replace when your idiot friends manage to burn holes in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffae View Post
We'll be putting in on a Thursday the week before school ends, so fingers crossed that we beat the crowds.
June is usually a pretty quiet month in the backcountry, and ordinarily a Thursday start in that month will give you first pick of just about any choice site. However, with regards to this upcoming season, I think a lot depends on how the pandemic progresses (for better or for worse) in the weeks/months to come. Last summer bucked just about every trend with regard to backcountry use- some of the more popular lakes/ponds for canoe camping were filled just about to capacity even midweek. A lot of folks were out of work (or working remotely), and with the stimulus package many had money to spare. And a lot of folks thought they were being clever by trying backcountry camping for the first time ever- which would seem to be a great way to social distance until you get into the backcountry and discover just how crowded it can be.

This was a pretty common scene at some of the more popular backcountry destinations in the High Peaks- multiple groups sharing a single designated tent site:

One last comment since you mention a June trip: Put some thought into how you'll prepare for bugs. Spring seems to be happening early this year, so in the SRCA I'd say you've got a decent chance of missing black fly season, but on the heels of black flies come mosquitoes and no-see-ums (which I personally think are worse than black flies). Deer flies don't usually get started until July-ish but with an early spring anything is possible.

With kids, I might even suggest hauling a bug house into the woods. Eureka makes a nice bug house/tarp combo that can be pitched on a ridgeline between trees without needing to use poles- but for some reason they don't sell it in the US so you have to order it from Canada and pay import fees. I have an older version that I've even carried on shorter backpacking trips myself during bug season. It comes in an 11 foot and a 13 foot version:

NoBugZone CT11: https://eurekatentscanada.com/products/view/802

NoBugZone CT13: https://eurekatentscanada.com/products/view/735

Nemo makes something similar but it is more expensive (I think even after you factor in import fees for the Eureka models above): https://www.moosejaw.com/product/nem...-tent_10188346
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:09 AM   #45
Dave Bourque
Footslogger

As mentioned by others, the LPM trail is easy to follow with excellent views from the summit. The trail passes through some wonderful mossy areas that the kids would find interesting. Your two year old may find the trail a little too much and might need assistance.
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote