Wilcox Lake 7/10-7/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilcox Lake 7/10-7/11

Feel obligated to post, since I received the most info on this trip from this group. Spent a day and a night here as we just didn't feel like getting soaked on the NPT for a section was a good idea this week and we're glad we did. It's a lovely spot and while things were wet, they had started drying by the next day. We went in from Pumpkin Hollow Road and I was able to drive to the end right before the first snowmobile bridge, though it's a bit sketchy with holes and big rocks, so unless you have something with a little clearance, you probably should park at the TH a mile or so away. We stayed out of the lean to as there is a fly catcher nesting in the eaves and wanted to avoid scaring them off. There are several rowboats and canoes around and we took "The Watering Hole", an aptly named canoe for a short voyage. Loons were active and singing. Nothing bigger than that was spied as far as wildlife. On the way out we thought we were hiking down to the wire bridge across the East Stony Creek, but we were heading down an ATV trail to the creek and saw the trail to that bridge on the way out, but we just wanted to be done, so we'll save that for next time. A beautiful place so spend some time and after so much hiking in the High Peaks and more well-traveled areas, it is a real joy to find some solitude in the Adirondacks! Will keep seeking out places like this for sure!

sounds like you enjoyed yourself. That area has a lot to explore.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
      sounds like you enjoyed yourself. That area has a lot to explore.
      Absolutely DT! We'll probably do the Murphy Lake LT as a traverse with an overnight at some point this year. So much more to see than the High Peaks!

Comment

Great TR Gebby! Wilcox was my second overnight camping trip as a kid (Murphy was #1). They hold a special place in my heart.

Can't wait to hear about your Murphy Lake traverse. It's one of my favorite hikes. Pumpkin Hollow Rd. to Creek Rd. is mostly downhill, just sayin.

Duct Tape is right, the area has a lot to explore. So many hidden views
        Tick Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by gebbyfish View Post
          Feel obligated to post, since I received the most info on this trip from this group. Spent a day and a night here as we just didn't feel like getting soaked on the NPT for a section was a good idea this week and we're glad we did. It's a lovely spot and while things were wet, they had started drying by the next day. We went in from Pumpkin Hollow Road and I was able to drive to the end right before the first snowmobile bridge, though it's a bit sketchy with holes and big rocks, so unless you have something with a little clearance, you probably should park at the TH a mile or so away. We stayed out of the lean to as there is a fly catcher nesting in the eaves and wanted to avoid scaring them off. There are several rowboats and canoes around and we took "The Watering Hole", an aptly named canoe for a short voyage. Loons were active and singing. Nothing bigger than that was spied as far as wildlife. On the way out we thought we were hiking down to the wire bridge across the East Stony Creek, but we were heading down an ATV trail to the creek and saw the trail to that bridge on the way out, but we just wanted to be done, so we'll save that for next time. A beautiful place so spend some time and after so much hiking in the High Peaks and more well-traveled areas, it is a real joy to find some solitude in the Adirondacks! Will keep seeking out places like this for sure!
          Did you go for a swim, or is Wilcox a leech lake?

Comment

Hey, OSB. A leech Lake. When we went out on the canoe, I saw a four inch leech swimming in the shallows. Figured I would have the good fortune to pick him up on the way out, but lucked out! :P

Comment

Working...
            X