Lean to shelfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lean to shelfs

Coming off 6 straight nights in 6 different lean to's along with a lifetime of various lean to's being slept in, is it safe to say that the shelves in these shelters are actually the junk drawers of the Adirondacks?? A mix of books,batteries,bug spray,mouse chewed toilet paper, broken flashlights, 3/4 used jars of peanut butter, ect.ect.ect......
    Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

They are really for the mice...

Comment

When I built my lean-to, I built no shelves. They're supposed to be for packs.
      Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Yes. Shelves in lean-tos is a horrible, horrible idea. They inevitably collect food and trash. And the food quickly turns into trash once the local wildlife gets to it.

Comment

Lean-tos are junk magnets in general. It’s pretty rare when you don’t see any kind of something that was left behind at a lean-to.

Comment

Perhaps I told this before, but I once visited a lean to - I believe it was Fish Pond North, but there was a mouse subsiding on a bar of Irish Spring living there. I was provided with at least an hour of entertainment watching it sneak out and steal a few bites of that soap, and then disappear back into a crack somewhere. He seemed to be living the good life. Not sure how good that soap was for his health, but at least the feces he left smelled good.

Comment

Haven't used a lean-to in over 30 years...................got sick of mice running over the top of me in the sleeping bag.
              Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
                When I built my lean-to, I built no shelves. They're supposed to be for packs.
                Some of the better designs replace the shelf with pegs. Hang all your stuff there when you're staying but they don't collect garbage, and thus attract mice...

Comment

I hope they never remove the shelves from LT's. Like, where would I leave my batteries that still have a tiny bit of juice left - just in case someone else needs them? And where would I put those half-full cans of Chuckwagon stew that I charitably leave for someone who might be in dire need?
                  The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

The only thing of interest I routinely see on a lean-to shelf is a journal.

Most everything else seems to be garbage. Much of the time I can't figure out if the people who left it actually think another camper may find it useful or if they just wanted to jettison it from their pack.
                    Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 10-07-2020, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Sometimes folks will write in the journal, "we left 'xyz' in case someone needs it."

me: Just be honest, you don't want to carry it out so you are trying to justify it, no one wants your half eaten jar of peanut butter.
                      "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Does anyone actually use anything left? I mean maybe a grate (but the greasy old pots and pans, wtf?). And it's not like a grate is all that heavy or hard to pack. I bring one that weighs like 6oz, and packs flat against my back in my pack. I've never once used a BC grate.

I can't see why people who carry in a jar of PB can't carry it back. I guess it's like when your SO leaves a gallon of milk in the fridge with one sip left in it...

"It wasn't EMPTY, so I didn't want to throw it out"

Comment

I found an umbrella on a shelf last week???? I guess that's what kick started this in my mind. Who the hell brings an umbrella hiking???
                          Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

Comment

Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
                            Sometimes folks will write in the journal, "we left 'xyz' in case someone needs it."

me: Just be honest, you don't want to carry it out so you are trying to justify it, no one wants your half eaten jar of peanut butter.
                            Same with the decaying tarps, tents, broken chairs, etc stashed under the lean-to.

Comment

I have a feeling these types hang out on forums like this:

My Survival Forum is a community of like minded people who are here to learn from each other and prepare for surviving without modern conveniences.

Comment

Working...
                              X