Northern Forest Canoe Trail Fishing Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Forest Canoe Trail Fishing Trip

I took a week long trip to the Adirondacks to fish all along the Northern Forest Canoe Trail. Basically starting in Old Forge and making my way to Long Lake fishing everywhere I could in between. I was not disappointed in the least and caught some really nice fish over seven days. I uploaded an album to Imgur of some of the nicer sights and fish along the way. Just a note of warning for anyone looking to do the Canoe Trail in the future, make sure to look at the DEC Maps and Info Locator, the Adirondack Paddlers Map South and NFCT Section 1 map both have outdated info regarding campsites and lean-to locations.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like JayWojcik.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    And lungs are poisoned and shoulders bowed,
    In the smothering reek of mill and mine;
    And death stalks in on the struggling crowd?
    But he shuns the shadow of the oak and pine?
    ― George W. Sears Nessmuk, Woodcraft and Camping

Nice pics! I want to do that same trip some day.

Comment

Great pics Jwo!!! How long were the portages?
      Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

Comment

Nice report. Was the NFCT the 2019 edition?

Comment

Originally posted by chaser View Post
          Great pics Jwo!!! How long were the portages?
          Here are the portage (traditionally called "carries" when in the Adirondacks) distances:

5th Lake to 6th Lake: 0.58 mile

7th Lake to 8th lake (through a public campground): 0.91 mile

Raquette Lake to Forked Lake: 0.51 mile

Forked Lake campground to the Long Lake Deerland leanto put-in below Buttermilk Falls (It is possible to do multiple put-ins/take outs above BMFalls, but they are definitely not worth the pain or trouble; total road carry: 3.70 miles
          "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

I believe both maps were recent, and maybe the discrepancies I noticed were recent changes. It was often little things like showing up to where the map shows a campsite and finding a "No Camping" disc forcing me to move on to the next one, or just the general locations of the campsites. The carries were not that bad at all since I was basically camping on every lake along the way that I was able to do so in an attempt to fish them all. I actually made another video out of all the GoPro footage along the way if anyone feels like checking it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------
            And lungs are poisoned and shoulders bowed,
            In the smothering reek of mill and mine;
            And death stalks in on the struggling crowd?
            But he shuns the shadow of the oak and pine?
            ― George W. Sears Nessmuk, Woodcraft and Camping

Comment

Working...
            X