No announcement yet.

Lean to shelfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're killing me Neil, just keep rubbing my nose in it.
    Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

Comment

I have to admit, this old dog learned a new trick here. We were coming out of Grassy Pond last summer and carrying day packs mainly to have raingear and first aid supplies as were not far from the road. We got hit by one of the sudden storms for which the mountains are famous, had enough time to get the pack off and the raincoat out and on, and not enough time for the rain pants. Even with the coat, ended up half soaked in the 1/2 mile to the trailhead. An umbrella could have been open before the first peel of thunder was finished, and I could have probably left the pack in the car. New compulsory trail gear! Thank you very much!

Comment

I have the Blunt Metro, which is 37 inches across. Works well enough that I'm in no rush to replace it, but I do have to admit that if I was to purchase it again, I'd consider opting for the Blunt Coupe instead, which is 41 inches across. The Metro keeps your upper half decent dry enough, but if there's any wind you can still expect wet pants.

Can't speak enough about the solid construction of Metro umbrellas generally, though- they are definitely built to last.

Comment

……Fish Hooks

Originally posted by chaser View Post
          Coming off 6 straight nights in 6 different lean to's along with a lifetime of various lean to's being slept in, is it safe to say that the shelves in these shelters are actually the junk drawers of the Adirondacks?? A mix of books,batteries,bug spray,mouse chewed toilet paper, broken flashlights, 3/4 used jars of peanut butter, ect.ect.ect......
          I also spent several nights in lean-to’s on my recent NPT through hike. Stephen’s Pond was one of the nicest, except that after being there a while I noticed small fishhooks all over the floor. Luckily, I got them all cleaned up before any got into my dog, or my sleeping pad. Some genius had left an open plastic tray of them on the shelf and they had been tipped over by the mice, or the wind.

Oother hikers I met and many of the lean-to logbooks had stories about excessive rodent activity during the night, even at their tent sites. One advantage of having a good trail dog is that I experienced none of this during my trip. Although, the resident red squirrel at Stephen’s pond repeatedly voiced its disapproval at not being able to come down from the big pine and mooch.
          ~~Leave no trace~~

Comment

Originally posted by chaser View Post
            I found an umbrella on a shelf last week???? I guess that's what kick started this in my mind. Who the hell brings an umbrella hiking???
            My 51 yo son frequently carries an umbrella if there is a possibility of rain in the forecast. Laugh if you want, but there have been some occasions when I have borrowed his when in camp.
            ...better to be up a creek without a paddle than to not be on the water at all!

Comment

Also, on a somewhat related note: Why does the ADK insist on continuing to use those marble composition books? Bound (sewn) books inevitably fall apart when campers rip pages out of the back of the book to start their fire- this causes the attached front pages to detach and fall out. Spiral notebooks would seem to be the preferred type of notebook for use as a log book, as the inevitable tearing of pages for kindling is less likely to affect those pages that have already been filled out.

Comment

The leanto shelves are there for you to place your mouse traps.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                  Also, on a somewhat related note: Why does the ADK insist on continuing to use those marble composition books? Bound (sewn) books inevitably fall apart when campers rip pages out of the back of the book to start their fire- this causes the attached front pages to detach and fall out. Spiral notebooks would seem to be the preferred type of notebook for use as a log book, as the inevitable tearing of pages for kindling is less likely to affect those pages that have already been filled out.
                  an adopter in the LGWF, constructed a nice box which he regulary stocks with newspaper to aid in firestarting and mitigate the use of the logbook as tinder. Though this requires a lot more than just two visits a year for most lean-tos.
                  "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

L2R just finished erecting a brand new leanto on Indian Lake (site #51) a week ago. The lead team coordinator insisted on installing two shelves. He likes them. Live with it.
                    "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

I've often used the shelves, but I always practice LNT and NEVER leave anything behind. Some of the LTs I stay in have have the shelves removed; adopter or DEC?

Comment

Some of the LTs I stay in have have the shelves removed; adopter or DEC?[/QUOTE]

More likely firewood.
                        Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

Comment

More likely firewood.

This is why we can't have nice things....

Comment

I like leanto's - never pass on the opportunity to sleep in one. And I like shelves, and an umbrella on a thunderbox is as key as dry toiletpaper... and the occasional high up nail, and even a table between trees, left behind grills. Or a bench and a pile of firewood stashed underneath.

Don't like garbage, I remove all of it I can carry- no matter where I find it. (Why do cigarette smokers think butts aren't garbage? Carried way into a pond once, and the guy who was there before must have smoked an entire pack- every butt floating around the edge. I fished them all out- they were all I caught that day...the fiberglass is forever!) Some of the garbage i find is on the shelves...

I leave candles and if the cans are in good shape, newspaper etc.

Garbage attracts garbage. An empty shelf doesn't bother me at all and I happily make use of them .

Comment

A nail up high is good for hanging a mosquito net.

Comment

What's your thoughts on salvaging useful items from the lean tos?

Found a nice 3 inch cast iron fry pan at a very remote lean to a few years ago. Going on the thought that all items left behind are considered trash, I packed it out and have been using it ever since for my morning eggs.

Comment

Working...
                                X