Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Canine hiking partners

I would be interested in knowing who on the forum has a regular or sometime canine hiking partner. It would also be interesting to see the wide variety of canines hitting the trail. Mine is Maggie, a 13 lb. miniature poodle. (I hear the laughter already!)

Surprisingly enough, she's a great hiker despite miniscule size, and is pretty much up for anything......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 039.jpg (230.5 KB, 624 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 048.jpg (283.6 KB, 622 views)

Last edited by poconoron; 03-17-2007 at 02:33 PM..
poconoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
Rivet
Likes to hike

I hike with a male beagle (Howie). He has climbed 34 ADK high peaks with me, plus accompanied me on many other hikes.

Here he is on Colden's false summit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010028.jpg (66.4 KB, 570 views)
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
redoak30

Hike, camp, kayak (with some duct tape), with Declan an Australian shepherd. My wife also takes him skijoring a few times a week during the winter months.
redoak30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
WhatWasThat

My husband and I have two dogs. Denali is a two and a half year old black lab that loves to hike and camp. Harley is an eight year old lab/hound mix who doesn't hike because he's not very well leash trained and not as socialized as I'd like him to be but he loves to camp on the islands at Lower Saranac and when we go to Stillwater, he's canoed with us on Lake Lila too. My husband doesn't like to swim very much but he has a hard time keeping the three of us out of the water.
WhatWasThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
Kevin
**BANNED**

We had a thread on the subject a while back, but all the attachments were lost when we imported the database on the new host (vbulletin glitch).

The only dog I hike regularly with, and miss when he's not around, is Val's standard poodle Gerard.

He's got somewhere around 40 of the 46 high peaks. Rarely does he have problems, and even does a good job problem solving for himself. Also real good finding herd paths .

Here's a happy dog!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gerard.jpg (68.5 KB, 533 views)
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

My sometimes hiking partner is my pointer-greyhound mix Nipper. My walikg partners are Nipper, my Hound Lady and my Soberian (old girl) Alexx.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
Riosacandaga
soggy

we hike and canoe with our three... here they are taking a break at Cedar Lake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3labcedar1.jpg (24.6 KB, 533 views)
Old 03-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
jan

Poconoron,
Your post really brought back some wonderful memories for me. In her younger days my mini-poodle/traveling salesman pound puppy hiked many, many miles with me. She climbed well over a dozen high peaks and too many others to count. She's too old now though she stills gets excited when she sees the hiking boots come out. Breaks my heart to leave her behind. I always thought she was the perfect dog for the trail (13 pounds). She could jump up anything, small enough to scoot under blowdown, and light enough to carry if I had too. She also had a real nose for herd paths. Thanks for reminding me.

Jan
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
Poconoron,
I always thought she was the perfect dog for the trail (13 pounds). She could jump up anything, small enough to scoot under blowdown, and light enough to carry if I had too. She also had a real nose for herd paths. Thanks for reminding me.

Jan
Yep, sounds exactly like Maggie- nose for the trail, jumping or scooting and light enough to carry across those streams she doesn't want to cross. It's great you've got those memories, and at least you still have her around for shorter?? walks.....

Funny thing is, when my springer/brittany mix passed on after 16 years (and many thousands of miles of trail and other walks), I wasn't that keen on getting a small dog- just happened that way. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way. What a great companion!

Thanks for those words...do you have another hiking partner these days?

Last edited by poconoron; 03-18-2007 at 03:03 PM..
poconoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
jan

Just a human hiking partner. Kate (my pup) would never allow another dog in her kingdom. She may be older and slower, but she still rules the roost.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #11
Adirondack_hunter
Southern Adirondack Hunter

This post has brought back some great memmories of hiking with dogs. I have a picture of a hound that I hiked with for several years until he got shot by a hunter. We all think he unfortunately was chasing deer. I have a pic of "Bones" at the old Slant Rock lean-to literally sleeping under my arm. I miss that dog.
Now all I have are two Austrailian Shepards that would rather rip YOUR arm and eat YOUR dog than hike. Great dogs. No one drives in the driveway without someone knowing it and they are great with cows but they are not hiking companions.
Special dogs you all have! Thank God daily you have such great additions to you family.
Rockclimbing.com NY Route Editor
Adirondack_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #12
Sasquatch

We used to hike with our Great Dane named Willa. She used to love to hit the trails. Unfortunately, she blew an ACL which pretty much ended her hiking days for the last 2 or 3 years of her life. She has since died at 9 years old... wicked old for a Dane.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:03 AM   #13
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

We hike and canoe with Quincy and Raffles.
Q is two years old and Raff is going on six.
The only problem is that Raff likes to swim just before bedtime, in the same tent.Pictures won't upload because of silly security program.
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #14
Adirondack_hunter
Southern Adirondack Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
The only problem is that Raff likes to swim just before bedtime, in the same tent.
That is hilarious!!
Raff is just trying to tidy up before snuggling. LMBO
Rockclimbing.com NY Route Editor
Adirondack_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
southernadkhiker
Jumping Treman Falls

This is millie. Shes a german shorthair, and can fly like the wind. We take many hikes out near central new york. This pic was taken on a snowmobile trail near where we live. The dog in the background is rocco the bulldog. He climbs hills, swims in streams, and keeps up with millie as if shes his shadow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0670.jpg (172.4 KB, 477 views)
Old 03-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #16
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernadkhiker View Post
This is millie. Shes a german shorthair, and can fly like the wind. We take many hikes out near central new york. This pic was taken on a snowmobile trail near where we live. The dog in the background is rocco the bulldog. He climbs hills, swims in streams, and keeps up with millie as if shes his shadow.
Nice action shot...looks like the bulldog may have trouble keeping up!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #17
ufitzi
Ben Hamelin

Colden (4 yr Golden Retriever/Yellow lab, and no, he hasn't hiked {Colden}, YET!) and Reese (2 yr Chocolate Lab/Staffordshire Terrier) hike, ski, camp and paddle with us......haven't been able to shut Colden up when I take him fishing with me, though, so he stays at home when I hit the streams!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3030407.jpg (152.5 KB, 445 views)
Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #18
Rock

I have a young male Boxer who I have already brought hiking in the Blue Ridge Mts in NC. I read that Boxers are not good outdoor dogs because they can't take the cold or the heat, so I took it easy with him. He did really well though; the hiking is definitely not a problem for him because he is all muscle and seems to be pretty agile for his age. As he gets older and stronger I plan on taking him more often. This is him when he was a pup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new pic 2.jpg (81.7 KB, 418 views)
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #19
Adkleaddog

My "little girl" Sophie.....English Springer Spaniel, loves to go fishing too!

I just can't figure out how to miniturize snowshoes yet!

(Age Old Yukon Saying)
Adkleaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #20
Edelweiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakbagr View Post
I've hiked many miles with Spencer's dog, Sunny 'The Wonder Dog', who we believe may be the first pooch to complete the ADK100 sometime later this year.
My own 2 year old Lab, Boo, is about 1/3 of the way across the Catskill100's. Boo, Dick, Joann and I all hope to finish together, maybe sometime next year.
Bookah has become a seasoned bushwhacker and has great trail manners.
She is very useful in picking the best way up thru cliff bands, using her nose to follow the scent of the local animals who've gone before.

I found these pics of Bookah and Sonny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c84871b90c6ecef6dfd183e11c467f97.jpg (148.4 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg d67750103645ab7aeb1684d15fe75493.jpg (256.9 KB, 376 views)
ADK46er #5438; CAT3500 #1745; CL50 #98; NPT Finisher
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote