Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2003, 04:48 PM   #1
turquoise

What is your favorite part of the park?

To all - My name is Turquoise, Turq fer short. I live in Delaware, but love to come to the Adirondacks. Why?

Mountains, water, beauty, calm. simple things . . . all are in this park. I change here. I change for the better. And to share . . .

My favorite part of the park is Cranberry Lake. Why? I can hike and canoe or kayak. Wildlife abounds. I am at peace with myself.

So, forum members. ya like the ADKs? What is yer favorite spot anf why? Hehehehe! Go on . . . try ta narrow it down. lo! - Turq
turquoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 06:10 PM   #2
DLHiker

Well, as I mentioned in another thread, there are some parts of the park unknown to me. But, really, it's a no-brainer for me_ I love the High Peaks. Every time I start driving north on 87 (from Albany), my adrenaline picks up--even when I'm simply driving to the mall! My wife thinks I'm crazy.

The best of the Peaks for me is Haystack and the surrounding terrain.

Other than that, we love the Speculator area (I work in that area during the summers), and the Lake George region (north of the village, of course)

And, Turq, you being the paddler, have you ever paddled up the Kunjamuk river from Speculator? This is a very nice day trip, or overnight if you go all the way up to Elm Lake.
DLHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:07 PM   #3
AlpineSummit
Walk Softly

Quote:
Kunjamuk river from Speculator
DL - Is that flat water?? Or rapids?

For me: I like the High Peaks. That's why I moved up here.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:26 PM   #4
turquoise

Favorite Part of the Park

To all - The High Peaks gets too crowses for my taste, so I like the wilderness areas, Cranberry Lake, for ome. Sure I love the High Peaks, but it is as crowded as Central Park at Marcy Dam on weekends in the summer. I prefer the old growth forests or the stand alone peaks, canoeing across a lake to a mountain hike or canoeing Little Tupper, Lake Lika or Lows Lake. DLhiker, I haven't paddled the area iou spoke of yet.
turquoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:32 PM   #5
Kevin
**BANNED**

I haven't nested much yet, still wild with youth and adventure!

Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 08:21 AM   #6
DLHiker

The Kunjamuk is flatwater. It has an oxbow feel-- narrow and windy (read that: lots of turns, not lots of blowing air!) Probably a half dozen beaver dams along the way. Also, I am told that the Kunjamuk valley has the highest concentraion of ADK moose--although I haven't seen one in that area.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:26 AM   #7
AlpineSummit
Walk Softly

hhhmmm, you've got me interested. We like to throw the kayaks in at lots of different places.

Thanks much, it's on the list for next year.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:38 PM   #8
Willie
46er #5193W

I'm with DL and Alpine - the High Peaks. Every vacation I take, I go to the High Peaks. Colleagues at work don't even ask me were I'm vacationing, they know - "back to Lake Placid, again, right Willie?" There’s just something about those mountains ....

I'm not very hip to the High Peak crowds either, Turq, but I venture off the beaten path, so to speak. And, you know what, there's a lot of solitude to be found - even in the High Peaks.
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 05:09 PM   #9
saus

I would also vote for the High Peaks!! Even with the crowds, there is something special about the high peaks that puts me at ease when I am there. It is just so beautiful! Everytime I go up there, I get really excited before the trip. Eventhough I have been up there hundreds of times, I still can't wait to get up there the next time.

I also love the Inlet/Old Forge area with all the different bodies of water to chose from. Also like the Newcomb and Long Lake areas for hiking some of the Fire Towers, as well as water access.

The DAKS Rule!
saus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 05:16 PM   #10
saus

Crowds in the High Peaks!

It really is not as crowded as one would think and depends on what you are hiking. Yes, it is usually crowded when you get to the trailhead and to areas such as Marcy Dam, but there are places you can find solitude.

For example, I hiked through Indian Pass last summer on Fourth of July weekend. Yes, there were a ton of cars at the Loj, but I only ran into 3 people all day on the trail. It was awesome.
saus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 11:32 AM   #11
raftingguy
Administrator

Outside of the High Peaks, my favorite spot in the park is the Hudson River Gorge. The scenery is spectacular and it is incredibly remote. There are only a couple of spots accessible by trail, and the rest is only accessible by raft or kayak or by bushwacking five miles.
raftingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:05 PM   #12
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Someone stated apples & oranges somewhere and I agree. But I spend most my time near some type of water, be it streams, rivers, lake or ponds. I like it all and have covered many areas of the park. I've been the whole length of the Kunjumuck river all the way up to South Pond at its head and hiked right over the Big Range on my return. (I wrote a story about the trip over at backpacker.com in the storytelling section about 6-7 months ago titled The Bucket Handle Rule if you can find it. My user name was Yowzer then.) There's a "kunjumuck cave" near Elm Lake but I never visited it.

Guess I spend most my time in the western ADKs such as West Canada Lakes, Pepperbox , 5 Ponds and Pigeon Lake wilderness areas but that's just due to convenience.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 12:59 AM   #13
Head
Guiness Anyone?

The High Peaks are amazing, but the Central region is fast becoming my fav. Reasons being: A) Great Bushwhacks B) Varied terrain (from secluded lakes to towering peaks) C) Closer to home than the peaks

BirdHead Studios
Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 08:11 AM   #14
Trailpatrol

Favorites

It's been over 15 years, and as I have said in other parts of the forum, we had a cabin in the early '80s near Moriah/North Hudson, so I have a fondness for that area. I love Keene and Keene Valley as communities, and Lake Placid for the hustle and bustle (although I would never stay in town). I would have to split my vote for the area north and south of Hwy. 28 from Old Forge to Blue Mtn. Lake, particularly the Raquette Lake area and Pidgeon Lake Wilderness, and the Elizabethtown area. In fact somebody just asked me a week or so ago if I could live anywhere I wanted, where would I go? My answer, without hesitation, was "Elizabethtown, New York." I love the atmosphere, the mountains surrounding the town, the pace of life. I think E-town is the undiscovered Aspen of the Adirondacks. If I could some way laterally transfer from the Minnesota DNR to the NYS DEC, I would snap up Clyde Black's unfilled Forest Ranger slot in E-town in a heartbeat. Unfortuately, it isn't ever going to be possible. (States don't work that way!) I will just have to content myself with Tettegouche/Crosby-Manitou State Park Complex on the North Shore of Lake Superior as my career goal. Very much like the Adks. ('cept for that big lake!) If you saw it you would understand.

Last edited by Trailpatrol; 11-15-2003 at 08:56 AM..
Trailpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 08:25 AM   #15
morrell12

Saranac

I like the Saranac Lake region area for the fishing and remote canoeing. I also love the high peaks and strive to complete the 46. I have 28 done!!!!
Old 11-27-2003, 08:50 AM   #16
JimB

My dad had a cabin in Pottersville from 1966 til 2 years ago and we spent much time there and touring the ADKs. My still favorite area is Upper Works. As a child I spent much time going through the buildings which were all standing back then. I've climbed all over and around the Macyntire furnace and went to the lead mine when it was in full operation complete with rail service. When I drove down "main street" of "Tahawus" 3 weeks ago it was like going to visit a good friend. Most of my hiking is done from there or St Huberts during the non-winter months because I can avoid the crowds. I will not go to the Loj or the Garden except in the winter. To me the HPs are for solitude not a mall-like experience.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 02:41 PM   #17
southernadkhiker
Jumping Treman Falls

I think that where everybody has a cabin or has grown up in a certain town in the adirondacks is most likely gonna say that that such an such area is the best in the park. An area that isnt explored as much as it deserves is the southern part. The silver lake wilderness, ferris lake and wilcox lake wild forest areas are so trailess that it keeps all but the hardiest people away and seems to lock all of its beauty within its boundaries. Thats why I love to hike in this area.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:48 PM   #18
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

I don't have a favorite, because every area offers something different.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 04:02 PM   #19
DLHiker

Pondhopper: Can you post a link to your story? I fussed around backpaker's web site but was unable to quickly find your story. I'm interested in that region and would like to read your report. I've been on the Kunjamuk dozens fo times--as far as Elm lake. Kunjamuk cave is worth the detour--it is quite a bit south or Elm Lake. About a 10 minute walk from bridge logging truck bridge.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:29 PM   #20
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I love the Southern Dacks, especially the Silver Lake Wilderness. Main reason being that there are a lot less people in here then there are in the High Peaks and some other areas. I have Wild country, gorges, waterfalls, rivers, creeks, lakes and ponds and most of the time never encounter other poeple.

Plus it's my back yard.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote