Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
HRS Nomad

Nye and Street

February 16th, 2014.

A beautiful day to hike. Clear skies with minimal clouds all day. Got a late start after a few minor blunders such as taking the wrong path and a continuously loose binding on snowshoes, but got moving at a fast pace due to humming the "Colonel Bogey March" for a little bit. The herd path is in excellent condition, it was like taking a walk down a street... My utmost respect to whoever cleared the trail after the snowstorm this week which probably hid it completely.

The Indian Pass water crossing was relatively body-free, with no one taking the dip today as far as I saw (I'd be concerned if the temperatures got warmer, but it should hold up easily for President's Day). I would also recommend staying on the nicely lined and packed trail, especially when the it begins to follow the brook up to the col, as it seems to be infinitely lined with foot-deep spruce traps for snowshoes... Towards the upper section of the trail before the col, someone decided to make a cut around a corner to save ~5 feet of trail, and it has become well packed, so it may be easy to mistake this for the junction, which would then lead to a bit of a disappointment when you found out that some person had made a minor deviation. As you leave the part of the trail that follows the brook upwards and approach the junction, there is a significant amount of trees down in which you must go over, under, around, in between and through. Personally, I thought every time I turned a corner that I would see the junction, and after about two or three or twelve corners, we did find the col junction, and prepared for the easy final ascents of the duo.

I assure you we were on Nye, you'll have to take my word for it, but I'll only include photos from Street. I loved those views...

So I will just reiterate. The herd path is cleared. It is very evident and has no deviation whatsoever. There was absolutely no question in the ease of following the trail. Maybe 10 people were up today, maybe more. All had snowshoes, and they were probably the only thing you could use to hike (with success). Beware of yetis. They're fiercer in the winter.
HRS Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:35 AM   #2
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Great views, thanks for sharing!

44/46 Almost there!
26/46 barefoot
ADK Black River Chapter
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
whcobbs

Gorgeous pix!
I am hoping to SS Indian Pass N to S from Heart Lake starting March 1. Do you think this is realistic? Any hope?

Walt
whcobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
Bucknut
46er #7721

How deep was the snow when you bw'd to Street's SE side to take the pic of the Mac's?
The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver
Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
HRS Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by whcobbs View Post
Gorgeous pix!
I am hoping to SS Indian Pass N to S from Heart Lake starting March 1. Do you think this is realistic? Any hope?

Walt
Possibly, but I would be very cautious with the heightened temperatures as of recent.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
HRS Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
How deep was the snow when you bw'd to Street's SE side to take the pic of the Mac's?
The trail was just as travelled as the herd path and there was no difficulty in finding the shoulder which is only twenty or thirty feet away from the summit sign. No worries, but underneath the pack I suppose it was a six or eight inches.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
HRS Nomad

A Trip Report from Saturday from the High Peaks Forum if anyone is interested.

http://forums.adkhighpeaks.com/showthread.php?t=24143