Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2004, 08:12 PM   #21
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLHiker
Pondhopper: Can you post a link to your story? I fussed around backpaker's web site but was unable to quickly find your story. I'm interested in that region and would like to read your report. I've been on the Kunjamuk dozens fo times--as far as Elm lake. Kunjamuk cave is worth the detour--it is quite a bit south or Elm Lake. About a 10 minute walk from bridge logging truck bridge.
DLHiker, my trip report of that journey is more of a comedy of errors, inexprience and exhaustion. I should have stated that I've been to different sections at various times. I spent nearly every weekend, summer and vacation in that area during my pre-early teens and was fortunate enough to travel all around there with my father in his duties for IPC. You won't glean too much destination info from it: http://forums.backpacker.com/thread....9967&tstart=45
I remember Humprey Mt. always looming in the distance like a minature "Big Blue". There's an old school bus on top of the big range that hunters used to use and not any real good views. Most people go to South pond via Kings Flow. Long Pond was very nice with a rock to dive off of for swimming and Don Bird of 'Birds Seaplane Service' had recently put out a forest fire there on my last visit IN THE 1970's ! Owl pond has private holdings. And the fish barrier had just been put in the Kunjumuck- the locals (friends) were sputtering about someone ALREADY throwing pickeral above.

Nice area! That link don't work so look on about page 4 of the storytelling section.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --

Last edited by pondhopper; 06-04-2004 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: word/link edit
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:43 PM   #22
adamsets

I'm happiest when I'm inside the Blue Line. I really like driving from Wilmington to Keene and around and about Rt.73 and 9 I also am partial to the Long Lake region. It's nice because it's centrally located. It's a nice area to camp in for a couple of weeks.
adamsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 01:30 AM   #23
fvrwld

Its hard to pick one area. I like to spend the night on a remote pond or lake. Siamese pond, Pharaoh Lake(and the ponds in that area) and the West Canada Lakes are all spectacular. I am awed by the beauty of the High Peaks Region. I hope to begin exploring more waterways once I am able to get a kayak (and I can't wait to return to the BogRiver Flow when i do). All I know is that once I pass that sign that says Adirondack Park on the northway (or rt 30) I feel better.(kinda makes our high NYS taxes worth it
Old 05-24-2004, 09:27 PM   #24
Wildernessphoto

Duck Hole

I love Duck Hole, Cold river/Raquette river valleys. Some of my best times have been in the remote Western high peaks wilderness area's. It doesn't get any better than this!
-Gary-
The Photography of Gary F. Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duck-Hole-Morning.jpg (51.4 KB, 144 views)

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!

Last edited by Wildernessphoto; 01-30-2006 at 08:58 PM..
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:31 PM   #25
Wildernessphoto

Duck Hole Island

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duck-Hole-Island.jpg (47.9 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by Wildernessphoto; 01-30-2006 at 08:59 PM..
Old 05-24-2004, 09:34 PM   #26
Wildernessphoto

Duck Hole Causway

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duck-Hole-Causway.jpg (54.8 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by Wildernessphoto; 01-30-2006 at 09:00 PM..
Old 05-25-2004, 06:57 AM   #27
Rick
Bad Seed

I am with WildernessPhoto. Western High PEaks for me. I maintained a couple of Lean-tos on the Ward Brook Truck Trail for 3 or 4 years (isn't that sad, I can't remember which) and would always find time to hike into Duck Hole for an evening of solitude.
I remember my first time passing through on the NLP in '91 - I wanted to quit hiking and just stay there for the rest of my life, happily traversing the NLP along the Cold River between Long Lake and Duck Hole.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:08 AM   #28
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

The NPT is real nice. I liked the whole thing except the road walks, but here are a few places that stuck out from the trek.

Priests Vlei
Spruce Lake
Cedar River Flow
Tirrell Mountain
Long Lake
Cold River
Duck Hole

There are many other places along the trail.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:25 AM   #29
Rick
Bad Seed

'Zac,
Thanks for those nice memories. As soon as my 3-Year old gets a couple of more years on him, we are going to do some overnights on the NLP.
I take him out now for overnights but not more than 2 miles or so inothe woods.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:41 PM   #30
Adkleaddog

The West Canada Lakes is one of my favorites.....but the High Peaks in winter is runner up!

(Age Old Yukon Saying)
Adkleaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 06:37 PM   #31
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I am with WildernessPhoto. Western High PEaks for me. I maintained a couple of Lean-tos on the Ward Brook Truck Trail for 3 or 4 years (isn't that sad, I can't remember which) and would always find time to hike into Duck Hole for an evening of solitude.
I wanted to quit hiking and just stay there for the rest of my life, happily traversing the NLP along the Cold River between Long Lake and Duck Hole.
Hi Rick,
I believe your lean-to's are:
Blueberry pond
Ward brook
Seymour (double lean-to's)
Cold river (double Lean-to's)
the Duck Hole 1 & (my favorite) 2

I think Noah John Rondeau was the richest man on the face of the earth. can you Imagine living in such a place! It's his story that drew me to that area in the first place.
http://www.adirondack-books.com/maitlanddesormo.html

If you like this area, this is a good book to read.

-Gary-

Last edited by Wildernessphoto; 05-25-2004 at 06:43 PM..
Old 06-13-2004, 10:08 AM   #32
salfontinalis
Salvalinus Fontinalis

best part of the 'dacks

It would be hard to say what the best part of the adirondacks is. all areas have there own unique quality. i personally like the five ponds for its remoteness. sand lake being one of my favorites.
salfontinalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:51 PM   #33
Chris Jacobs
Page Hill Buckhunters Club

We set a tent camp up many years ago in the kunjamik...So wild...I had a 50" bull moose walk by me at 25 yards, what a rush! Scared the pants off me.
Chris Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:13 AM   #34
wkies
traildog

Its the Cold River Valley for. In and around Pharaoh lake are just amazing if you hit it when its not a zoo.
wkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #35
kurtteej
New to ***** (not t'foot)

I can honestly say that for the most part, I've stuck with the High Peaks region (i live on a relatively flat island - Long Island). Based on a lot of the talk here, I fully intend on heading into some of the southern and western regions this coming year. I like critters other than the rancid squirrels and the few rabbits and possums that Long Island has to offer (although theres really a plethora of shore-birds).
Old 02-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #36
steve40

I like the southern West Canada Lakes area (quite remote)and the Saranac Lake Wild Forest area.I due venture into the High Peaks at least once a year.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:49 PM   #37
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Pharaoh Lake, followed closely by the High Peaks. Some might groan that these are high traffic areas, but if you pick the right time of year, solitude can be easily achieved, surprisingly. There is just something enchanting, and even a little spooky, about Pharaoh. Both contribute to its charm. I pointed to the lake on a map a few years ago, and told my three best friends that we should go there and camp. We usually head there at least three times a year now.

Poe's "The Lake" kind of reminds me of Pharaoh...cool little poem.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:31 PM   #38
mountainhaze.net
Go Take A Hike

The High peaks are great for me. T-lake falls area is great also along with Pharaoh lake area. But on second thought, any time, any where in the woods is good. This summer I want to explore more of the Central and Southern Dacks.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #39
Neil
Admin

I hike pretty well exclusively in the High Peaks region because it's close to home and very rarely do I encounter other humanoids unless I'm going up a peak like Marcy or Algonquin. Once you start poking around off the beaten track you get the impression that the area is an inexhaustable treasure trove. Just one example out of hundreds would be Spotted Mtn. and the surrounding drainage systems. Miles and miles of trackless wilderness with exposed 3000 footer peaks that no one ever visits because there are no trails.

Here's another fun little trip: climb Colden from the Trap Dyke, descend the slide on the other side then bushwhack up Marcy from the Opalescent River. True, you'll encounter people on the summits but after going through all of that you might be glad to see some people.
I could go on and on filling screenful after screenful but then that might encourage too many people.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:03 PM   #40
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I'll still favor the Southern dacks from Indian Lake to Northville.

I paddle/camp the Raquette River from Coreys to The Lower Falls a couple of times a year and up into the Stony Creek Ponds. I also like the Bog River into Lowes Lake, but I can find great wilderness and isolation in the Southern Dacks.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote