Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2004, 09:19 AM   #21
shewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Thanks for the encouragement, information, and precautions .

I have a bear canister [ducks as people boo and throw things ]. Bought it on my way up last weekend. It's rather light (2lb 7 oz) and has a twist off top. It probably costs $5 to manufacture. Cost me $80+ tax to walk out of EMS with it . I couldn't see going the whole summer renting the damn things and worrying about returning them in time to avoid getting slapped with another day's fees... and, really, they're the only current 99% fool-proof means of protecting your food (apart from not bringing any ).
Kevin, I'm with you man. With about 30 peaks left, I'm planning on quite a bit of overnighters and have no intention of hiking without having food to eat. I bought a cannister recently as well. Not only for hiking in the dacks, but for eventually heading back to Alaska in the future. The first time you still have your food stash after a rash of food raids by the bears, the canister will have more than paid for itself.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:37 PM   #22
Neil
Admin

Last summer my 14 year old son scampered DOWN Saddleack to Basin with a full pack. I went down slowly and at 2 spots removed my pack and dropped it down to my son.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:56 PM   #23
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
I'm slowly breaking down my fear of heights. I recently broke some ground climbing the Macomb slide, one part where I had to cross to the right and jump onto not-so-even ground where a slip meant tumbling 50 feet. Felt my legs tingle after I landed, even told the other hikers I was so proud .

Strange thing, I like views from atop mountains. lol

I appreciate the vote of confidence. I'm still waiting for some photos...

[Kevin wanders over to adirondack journey to see if there's any posted]
Kevin, I have the same issue, the fear of heights. But the gradual nature of hiking is helping. Love the views also, but its something about being on the edge and thinking about falling that gets me.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote