Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2004, 12:28 PM   #21
shewolf

Ken999,

Where you get the buck? Nice rack on that badboy.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:10 PM   #22
ken999

Shewolf- That buck came from Warren Co.
ken999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 04:47 PM   #23
commuter

I caught this 2 1/2 lb largemout on eagle lake!
All my fish are released alive

Practice catch and release!
Old 09-09-2004, 12:19 PM   #24
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

saw this thread bump again, figured i'd jump in too. here's another bucketmouth.... this guy is 15", not quite the size of your chunky catch community... just the picture makes him look big figured it's a good pic at least.

i catch and release my black bass too.... but, i'm not against eating a couple tasty trout :headbang:

this guy came from the middle branch moose beginning of august, taken on a live craw.

(p.s. yeah i'm a wimp that i lip it with a glove, lol)
protocoldroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #25
sacco
no soup for you

umm... sure thats not a smallie?

nice pic though - he looks 4 foot long !
Old 09-09-2004, 01:20 PM   #26
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

you know what.... you've gotta be right on.

that whole day i was pulling up 10-12" smallies all day long, that guy there just seemed so big in comparison and gave such a roudy fight (felt excellent on ultra light tackle, felt like a grouper!), i thought he had to be a bucket. But now I look at the corner of the mouth and it doesn't look far enough back, and i guess there's not a white enough stomach either. why would a largemouth be hanging out with the smallies anyways? heh. plus i caught it in a river, so it's colder water, sounds more like smallie terrirtory to me.

now my new goal is some monster trout on flies just got a 8.5' 5 wt all graphite rod to learn some fly casting -- inspired almost totally by hearing the fly fishing talk up in here if i'm really lucky i'll land a 5" brookie (and mistake it for a brown, lol) and photograph it next to a model of the empire state building, hehe.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:27 PM   #27
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocoldroid
if i'm really lucky i'll land a 5" brookie (and mistake it for a brown, lol) and photograph it next to a model of the empire state building, hehe.
Am I imagining it or is he beginning to talk like me?
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:41 PM   #28
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

I think I'm going to have to be -a-lot- more sarcastic to quite match the wits of the RedHawk

Aside from that.... great minds think alike
Old 09-09-2004, 09:15 PM   #29
commuter

Yup thats a smallie!
Pound for pound smallmouth bass fight much harder than large mouth!
Not every time but usually!
Largemouth can be found in larger streams with slow current but smallies are much more prevelant in streams!
Nice fish but the glove kinda is a little funny! LOL
There teeth wont cut you just makes your thumb a little raw if you have a good day fishing!
Ever try and lip a pickeral! LOL
Bill
PS Nothing wrong with eating your catch!
It's just with bass the populations are limited and with ever growing numbers of bass anglers they could easily do damage to a good bass lake!
Plus the DEC does not restock bass I wish they would!
Myself I enjoy some perch now and again!
Old 09-09-2004, 10:22 PM   #30
Jeff

Why don't people take it upon themselves to stock fish where needed instead of waiting for the DEC or other agencies?
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:54 AM   #31
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Why don't people take it upon themselves to stock fish where needed instead of waiting for the DEC or other agencies?
Cuz it's illegal and not to mention highly destructive. People taking things into their own hands is the major reason why brook trout and other native species have been decimated over the past 100 years and are more or less relegated to remote ponds and headwater streams. This is also why we are blessed with northern pike magically showing up in the fulton chain, cranberry lake, and others. And of course largemouth bass showing up in most every major Adirondack lake and some not so major lakes such as Moss. Now, I have no beef against bass or pike as gamefish but when the Adirondacks are one of the few remaining places in the eastern US with the water quality where brook trout can thrive so it stands to reason that we should do everything possible to protect them or provide a reasonable fascimile with other salmonid species.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:03 AM   #32
Creekwader
Snag Locator

It's just with bass the populations are limited and with ever growing numbers of bass anglers they could easily do damage to a good bass lake!
Plus the DEC does not restock bass I wish they would!
Myself I enjoy some perch now and again![/QUOTE]

Bass populations are limited?? Are you serious? Every major Adirondack lake and river system has bass, some so many that they're stunted. DEC doesn't restock bass because they don't have to, they reproduce just fine. Personally, I wish they'd open up all the major lakes to ice fishing for bass. I always seem to catch a bunch of them when lake trout fishing.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:01 AM   #33
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

Shucks.... and here I was going to stock some rock bass in all your guys favorite holes as a favor! JK of course, LOLOL.

Commuter.... didn't mean any cross words when I said I eat some fish.... Tho I've been at more than one dinner party where some PETA-Head has given me a hard time about going fishing:

Peta person: "The Fish can't fight back!"
Doug (me): "A. Some days I hook myself more in the arm and hand than I hook fish, and B. I've fed more fish with worms over the course of my life than I've caught fish with worms -- they've got my number and love stealing my bait"
Peta peson: "Didn't you see 'Finding Nemo'? It's great case against fishing"
Doug: "Yes I did, some of the fish in that movie are good eating! Turtle soup is delicious, and have you ever tried dolphin?"
(mentioning dolphin [and meaning 'mahi mahi'] is hilarious! lol)

Probably no bassmaster would be a PETA member I agree too, those bad boys are good for anyone to catch -again-. I reclaimed about $3 worth of Gamakatsu hooks last time bassin', someone must've just been clipping the line or... just wasn't tying good enough knots, hey free hooks with every other catch

As for the gloves, yeah... I'll just admit to being a wuss, heh. My excuse is usually that I'm jumpy, and I've dropped a few good fish a little hard from scaring myself when they jump When not taking a photo 6/10 times I can manage to keep 'em in the water with a net and take the hook out.

I won't be lipping any pickeral any time soon, heh. I've only ever caught one when I was 7, wow! Barracuda of freshwater! I caught it on some ancient hardbodied lure the previous owner of our place had left in the basement, weird yellow thing with great big eyes... Along the lines of ancient lures, you should've seen me try to cast these monsterous lake trout rigs off the dock as a kid, that was hilarious.

Yeesh I'm talkative today, i'll give your ears a rest!
Old 09-10-2004, 10:17 AM   #34
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocoldroid
Peta person: "The Fish can't fight back!"
And vegetables can't run either, but they eat them, right? Poor defenseless vegetables!!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:55 AM   #35
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

Right on RH, in my book... a living thing is a living thing, period. You can't till a field without harming an insect, you can't make a field without interrupting some other part of nature.

The food chain is a part of nature -- and in the presense of some animals; you don't always feel at the top

i'm starting breadhurts.org, wheat and yeast have feelings too! hehehe.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:30 PM   #36
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader
And of course largemouth bass showing up in most every major Adirondack lake and some not so major lakes such as Moss.
First Lows Lake, then Sargents Pond and then Moss Lake. Almost makes one wonder if there's a common denominator (person) between all them. Esp. the two fly-ins.

As a side note: We were ice fishing Star Lake nearly a decade ago and caught a 12 lb. Northern Pike, much to the surprise of the residents there. Luckily, it looks like it was a "loner". About this same time, pike were reported in Cranberry Lake.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:41 PM   #37
commuter

protocoldroid,
Hope you didn't take it the wrong way I have nothing against people eating bass!
As long as they are over 12" and caught in season you are well within your rights to eat them I hope you enjoy!

Creekwader,
Your right on the money!
It is illegal and can destroy an ecosystem very easily!
This is the reason in most brook trout waters it is ilegal to use live baitfish to catch trout! The anglers usually dump the remaining baitfish into the lake and they reproduce and cause havoc!

As far as Bass populations go it was not very long ago that you would see picture after picture of huge stringers of bass.
All these bass were eaten or killed and thrown away!
The population of Bass anglers has grown so large that if every Bass fisherman kept his 5 fish limit every time out it would not be long till some of the smaller lakes were fished out!
This is why many of us practice catch and release!
All aquatic species require a delicate balance of conditions to survive and prosper.
Some lakes have stunted bass to to overcrowding or maybe due to lack of enough baitfish as food!
Other lakes have very small bass populations such as Eaglr Lake!
Just remember that all Fish require a delicate balance not just your beloved Brook Truot!

Bill
Old 09-12-2004, 07:05 PM   #38
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

commuter: we're way too polite to each other alas, this is a good thing, and an infectuous condition on the adkforum probably no offense taken on either side too, at least none here and hopefully the same :headbang:
Old 09-13-2004, 12:42 PM   #39
Creekwader
Snag Locator

[QUOTE=pondhopper]First Lows Lake, then Sargents Pond and then Moss Lake. Almost makes one wonder if there's a common denominator (person) between all them. Esp. the two fly-ins.

I don't know what the deal is other than it seems to be happening with greater frequency lately. I didn't want to believe Moss but last October I was trolling streamers for Lakers and I caught a 8" bass so it's definitely true. It's a shame too because even though it's a road side pond and receives alot of use, people pull some nice brook trout out of there every spring. I doubt the lake trout will be effected but I'm sure the brook trout will go into decline unless the state stocks more.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:47 AM   #40
serotonin
ember

Hi Everyone!

Great site you have here!
This is my first post (so I hope the attachment works).

Thought that this would be a good place in the thread to insert a photo of
a Wild Adirondack Brookie.

Two weeks ago, this male came up 5 feet from the stream bottom
to SMASH! a Royal Wulff on the surface.

Steve.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote