Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #21
Rik
H-E-R-O

I hiked with Sirius, my Rottweiler, for about 10 years before he "retired" from mountains and now goes on strolls only. He's now 12 which is getting pretty old for his breed. Dali (short for Denali) is some kind of hound/chow/shepherd mix shelter rescue. She's a great little hiker. She's 4 and about 40lbs. I'll try to post pics later.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:52 AM   #22
PatK

I hike with my German Shepherd ,Marcy. She's very light for a GSD, so she's a perfect hiking partner. She loves her pack and can hike forever. I keep her on a long lead attached to my pack. She does love to be in front though and will jump high in the air and bark at me if I lag behind.
PatK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #23
Edelweiss

Here is one more picture of Peakbagr's hiking companion Bookah. Not only does she hike circles around all of us (literally), but she seems to enjoy having her picture taken!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bookah on Slide Mt.jpg (17.0 KB, 330 views)
ADK46er #5438; CAT3500 #1745; CL50 #98; NPT Finisher
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #24
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakbagr View Post
Thanks, Jo!

Poconoron, what type of camera do you use? The color and clarity of your pictures are amazing.
In the second picture, you dog looks like its ready to step out of the screen onto the keyboard.

PB
I have a Samsung A503- not very expensive at around $150 when I bought it last year. Good little camera but it does not have an optical zoom which my son pointed out to me after I had owned it for awhile. But I do think the picture quality is quite good also. Prior to that camera I had always used a 35mm so I'm a late convert to digital.

Thanks for asking......
Old 03-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #25
Frostbite Ale Man

We go with our rescued Greyhound(Bambi). This wonderful dog"started off" as a 3 year old who had to be taught how to walk up stairs when we first got her, to now an 11 year old that has done miles and miles of trails, and loves to also go in the canoe whenever she can. Despite that supposedly no greyhounds should ever be let off the leash, this dog has been for years (on trails), and is responsive as any other dog, and never had a problem. In her younger years, she had to be seen to be believed when she ran full speed on beaches such as Middle Saranac Lake, and Sand Island on the Sacandaga! She is fawn-color, and definitely wears an orange blaze vest every Fall.
Frostbite Ale Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #26
Edelweiss

On a visit to Indiana this past December, we took our son's Siberian Husky on a hike in Turkey Run State Park. This was her first hike in the woods, albeit quite tame by Adirondack Park standards. She managed to curb her enthusiam for the sights and sounds of the forest most of the time. She has the potential for becoming a wonderful hiking companion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chinook at TRSP2.jpg (27.7 KB, 306 views)
Old 03-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #27
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
On a visit to Indiana this past December, we took our son's Siberian Husky on a hike in Turkey Run State Park. This was her first hike in the woods, albeit quite tame by Adirondack Park standards. She managed to curb her enthusiam for the sights and sounds of the forest most of the time. She has the potential for becoming a wonderful hiking companion.
A very beautiful dog.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #28
Edelweiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoron View Post
A very beautiful dog.
She is (the picture really doesn't do her justice) and she has a gentle, even temperament as well!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:44 PM   #29
dog

I have dog too . The worst scenario from my collection of " bad future " : we go not together .
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:16 AM   #30
dmartenvt

My trusty hiking partners - Butters, Zora and The Squidge. I stay off the well traveled trails and try to bring these guys to the lesser travelled areas; I also tend to hike more in the winter. I'm sorry to see the quiet, beautiful winter go. I feel just a little mortified when I read about the on leash hiking or perfectly recalled canine good citizens. Let's say we do our best, but none of them had much of start in life (all were transported up here from Midwest or Southern high kill shelters), they are officially bad seeds who heed the call of the pack, and on occasion remember they actually have had obedience training, but think it was fairly boring.

The Squidge

Zora and Butters
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #31
Rock

I never noticed this before but I share my name with one of these dogs on here.

It's the fastest and toughest dog on here. Here's to ya!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:22 AM   #32
northwds_woman

Tobin the Magnificent

Oh how life is fickle. I read this thread as I sit waiting for the vet to call. Tobin is in the hospital with antifreeze poisoning. He started staggering and tested positive. There is a shred of hope. The vet said she will keep him drunk in hopes it will dissolve the crystals that form.

This guy is the best trail tramp, boat bud, slayer of fears, bravery and persistence inspirer ever I've had in my life, bare none.

Please pray or whatever you can summon, muster or conjure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tobin7.jpg (36.4 KB, 267 views)
northwds_woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #33
jan

Northwds,

I'll be praying for you and your pup. Hope he makes a complete recovery.

Jan
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #34
dmartenvt

I am so sorry for you and your pup -- I will keep you guys in my thoughts and hope he is back to hiking with you soon.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #35
northwds_woman

He is gone. His spirit is out there somewhere in the woods having a grand time, nostrils twitching, smiling and eager to see what is around the bend.

I guess it must be that some folks are not aware of how toxic this substance is and how much pets like it. 1-2 ozs is all it takes and it smells and tastes sweet. Please caution your neighbors and friends to dispose of antifreeze safely or better yet buy pet-friendly propylene glycol not ethylene glycol.

He brought the best out in me. I am proud to have traveled the same path for awhile.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #36
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

My heartfelt condolences.I am sure all of us petowners will be much more careful in the future.It is just a shame that its takes such a loss as yours to remind us of the perils all of out pets face in todays industrialized world.I hope you find comfort in your happy memories, and a new pup soon!
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #37
shewolf

I feel your loss

northwds_woman,

My deepest condolences....any pet lover can understand how devastating the loss can be.

My hiking partner (see avatar) left me last October. I still mourn the loss. Had my 115 lbs shepherd for nearly 14 years, so the loss has been rough. It definitely helps to think our buddies are in a place where there's tons of squirrels to chase, fields to run, biscuits to eat and no visits to the vet...

I didn't discover the adks until after I "retired" Dakota from serious hiking. Up until he could no longer walk any great distance, he LOVED his jaunts into the woods.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #38
northwds_woman

Thanks to you all. It makes me happy that I can share here and know you know.
Watch for us on the trail in the ADK's. I will be there in body. He will be there in spirit.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #39
jan

I'm so sorry about your loss. Our pets have a very special place in our hearts and memories. My old girl is in her twilight years and I'm savoring the time we have left together. When I read your sad news I went and gave her a big hug.

Jan
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #40
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I share your grief. In the last three years, I have lost 5 pets, 2 dogs and three cats, two of whom were with me for over 15 years. I now have a Siberian who is 14 years old and long in the tooth and I dread the upcoming finality.

Attached is something that someone passed on to me when I lost Mikie, three years ago.

I hope it helps you as it did me.

Hawk
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The Rainbow Bridge.pdf (83.1 KB, 39 views)
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote