Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
what'sinaname
Slow down and enjoy it!

Attempt at Phelps

Well, this wet weekend, we brought the kids to their first attempt, and our second, at at 46er. The ominous skies and doubtful weather forcast on Saturday morning didn't deter us. The wee ones made pretty good time from South Meadow to Marcy Dam, even with the "beaver trap" (flooded trail)!

The kids took a rest at the Dam with dad while I scouted up ahead to see if there was if Kagan leantoo was free, which it was, so we headed up there as the rain started. After a hot lunch, we took it easy and enjoyed the beauty of the site for the rest of the day. IMHO, this leantoo is a wonderful spot for the wee ones. Couldn't keep the kids still! They spent lots of time running along the banks and the rocks.

On Sunday morning, the skies looked more promising while we got our stuff organized, but by the time we got back down to the Dam to stash the big packs out of the way, the skies didn't look as promising. Still, we gave it a try.

We had a nice drizzle by the time we hit the turn off for Phelps. The kids enjoyed the bridge at the high water crossing, so we spent some time there. The trail, though wet and muddy, was pretty good. Somewhere close to the top, the wind picked up and was bone chilling. Given the low cloud and the rain, coming down even harder now, we decided to turn back. When we got back down to the Dam (about 1 hr later), the skies cleared of course, after a quick hail shower, but the stroll down the meadow road was nice, but cool. Thank to the trail crew? person? who fixed the blocked pipe; it made the beaver "trap" a little easier.

All in all, despite the cool,wet conditions, all enjoyed the trip and the hike. Chris

Last edited by what'sinaname; 05-23-2006 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: Oops, typing too fast!
what'sinaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
Rookie
Dream Farmer

I'm thinking you meant Phelps ?
Anyhow, cloudy, rainy days aren't all bad.!
Great you get the kids out on the trail. I have a 7 and 8 year old that I'm looking forward to getting into the Dacks.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
NukedRocket
Yeah, buddy!

Sounds like a fun little trip! I was thinking the same as Rookie, perhaps you are mistaking Porter for Phelps.

Last edited by NukedRocket; 05-23-2006 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Rookie beat me to it
NukedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
what'sinaname
Slow down and enjoy it!

Oops, thinking about the next one! Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:59 AM   #5
what'sinaname
Slow down and enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie
I'm thinking you meant Phelps ?
Anyhow, cloudy, rainy days aren't all bad.!
Great you get the kids out on the trail. I have a 7 and 8 year old that I'm looking forward to getting into the Dacks.
No time like the present. I have to admit, it's a different dynamic with kids, especially when they're 5 and 7, but they did well last year. The distances have changed, but so has the scenery and the "wow Mom, look at that" keep it all in perspective. And if you're lucky enough to get a lean-too, at least you're guaranteed to keep dry.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
geeeiiijo

Best Case Scenario Phelps

Following is a description of my "Best Case Scenario" hike of Phelps.

I have been saving Phelps to take my 12 year old daughter for her first High Peak. My 19 year old son and several friends were along as well, including two 46ers who seemed to enjoy introducing us to our first overnight in a lean-to.

The forecast was for RAIN, but we packed ourselves up and hoped for the best. Our packs were a bit heavy, as we didn't pack as efficiently as possible, but we made it to Heart Lake none the worse for the wear. With tents in tow, we were just as pleased to find an open lean-to, although one couple in our party did opt for tent accommodations. We were happy to drop our gear and move into the site before taking off for Phelps. Two in our party stayed at the lean-to and enjoyed the sunny day relaxing and reading.

Phelps was especially easy for the 12 year old girls (in shape from the spring track season). We were at the summit by midafternoon and basked in the sun.

Back to the lean-to for an early dinner and tour of the Marcy Dam area, visiting with other campers. We had heard about visiting bears from the DEC ranger and others who had stayed the night before. We secured our food in canisters, but still noted a visit from tent-sniffing bears twice in the middle of the night.

After a leisurely morning and breakfast, we packed up and hiked out.

I titled this my Best Case Scenario hike because 1) it didn't rain as was forecasted 2) the bugs DID NOT bother us at all!!! 3) we secured a lean-to 4) a successful hike and good time was had by all!
geeeiiijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
Rookie
Dream Farmer

Isn't it great when things go like that ?

Do you think your daughter will do some more peaks ?

My 14 year old is fresh from track season too and claims she's in better shape than me and my sons ! Hopefully she'll come with us in August.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
geeeiiijo

Yes, yes! We hope to climb Cascade and Porter this summer. My daughter was away at camp when we climbed them a few years ago. As her first high peak experience was positive, she is eager to climb a few more!

This summer while she is at camp, I think I will attempt Giant-Rocky Ridge with my sons. I am at 19 and would like to break into the twenties this season! Besides, it will be quality time with the boys
geeeiiijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #9
Rookie
Dream Farmer

Giant and RPR is a good thorough butt-kicking. Enjoy !
Old 06-29-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
Hakuna Matada

I love to hike in the rain. I've been told there are no bad hiking days. If the skies are clear then the views in the distance are great. If it is cloudy, rainy or snowy then you notice the things along the trail that are up close like flowers and different formations of rock or odd trees. With kids along it is even easier to notice those things. We tend to just pass them by with our eye on the destination.
Hakuna Matada is offline   Reply With Quote