Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
crower_3
Jim Clark

Winter Stream Fishing

I plan on trout fishing, this Sunday in a couple of small streams. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. This is my first try at this.
crower_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
trouthunter

first thing you need to do is make sure the streams are open for fishing this time of year. What streams are you planning on fishing? the only streams I know of that are open are trophy section of west canada,ausable and some streams here in onondaga county (chittenango creek,limestone creek,etc). what kind of fishing do you do......flyfishing,spincasting,bait or lures etc? If your flyfishing I would try woolly buggers/streamers and definetly a stonefly imitation as stones can be active even in winter months.
Be ready to fight ice build up in the eyes of your rod and dont expect to have a lot of action.
I bought my first flyrod in January about 5 years ago and couldnt wait to try flyfishing so I trudged through the snow on a warm (45 degree) day to give it my best shot.I was surprised to catch a small rainbow as I thought Id be just practicing my casts,I was immediately hooked on flyfishing.
There may be other streams open,check your local regulations. Good luck!

Last edited by trouthunter; 01-05-2006 at 01:10 PM..
trouthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
crower_3
Jim Clark

I will be using a spinning outfit and I'm thinking Butternut and Limestone.
crower_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
aaronlawson

I believe parts of Oriskany Creek are open in the winter. It's apretty good place to fish in the spring, at least.
aaronlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
trouthunter

Limestone is where I caught the rainbow! If you are using lures I suggest panther martin spinners,(i like the gold blade with black body). Ive caught several browns and rainbows in Limestone with this spinner.I also like using blue fox spinners preferably in silver.Cast upstream and retrieve a little faster than the current.With all this warm weather and rain youll probaly have high water conditions. Good luck and let me know how you did! Im not big on bait but Im sure worms or minnows would work also.Leave a couple in there for me.....okay?
Old 01-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
trouthunter

Oriskany is an excellent stream also, I like fishing near Deansboro, caught some very healthy browns there.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #7
Prometheus
Adrift

Watch out for surface ice, it'll cut your leader like a knife if a fish swims under it.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote