Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2005, 10:02 AM   #21
Dave K

I climbed Street and Nye on 6/5 with a couple friends, great trail Pete, you guys have done a bang-up job. As I recall there were maybe 3 spots where people were re-routing around fallen trees, and at least one of them was a fair sized tree. I don't know if you carry a chainsaw but at least take a full axe... a hand axe would be painful.

Overall there was nothing even remotely like difficult blowdown (I bushwhacked down Lillian Brook last year... THAT was blowdown!) and we had a VERY enjoyable and fairly easy 6 hour hike. We thought we were making good time until a trail runner passed us... I wanted to kick her in the shins to slow her down some.

As far as the summits go, we didn't have any problem finding both summit markers, but friends of ours who went a week earlier missed the Nye marker.
Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:10 AM   #22
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K
I climbed Street and Nye on 6/5 with a couple friends, great trail Pete, you guys have done a bang-up job. As I recall there were maybe 3 spots where people were re-routing around fallen trees, and at least one of them was a fair sized tree.
We did Nye/Street a few years ago, just after the initial Nye clearing. As I recall, they hadn't quite finished all the way to the summit, offering a striking before/after taste.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:29 AM   #23
Gandalf

...what the others have said...

Thanks Pete.

- from the movie Dr. Strangelove
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:31 AM   #24
Pete_Hickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
We did Nye/Street a few years ago, just after the initial Nye clearing. As I recall, they hadn't quite finished all the way to the summit, offering a striking before/after taste.

Dick
My guess is that you did it after we did the initial work, but after Floyd. We finished the whole thing in a weekend, but Floyd came along the year after (I think), and really messed things up high up. It did open up some views, though. Did you do it '99 or '00?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K
As far as the summits go, we didn't have any problem finding both summit markers, but friends of ours who went a week earlier missed the Nye marker.
I have the new sign for Nye in my car. Unfortunately, I met with the DEC in the afternoon, after I did did my blowdown sweep, and didn't get the sign until then.
Pete_Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:30 AM   #25
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hickey
My guess is that you did it after we did the initial work, but after Floyd. We finished the whole thing in a weekend, but Floyd came along the year after (I think), and really messed things up high up. It did open up some views, though. Did you do it '99 or '00?
Yes, it was around then, can't remember exactly. I do remember freshly cut wood and trail seemed new. Gary Koch was among our party at the time, and he mentioned the recent trail work.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote