Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Awetcanoe
Just spashin'

Might have been a few days early

With it turning nice out we felt it time to get out and play. We parked in a foot of snow that sure made it easier to reach the racks on the truck and the first strokes on Lake Pauline were nice. Yes we were still near home in Vermont but this was the first water open for us.

About a mile up lake the going got a bit slow.

But soon we were free again,

We followed this first outing with a 7 mile river run that was fabulous but the card in the camera was full so no pics, Drats it was picturesque with the snow covered banks with Mergansers watching us go by.
Awetcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Deb dePeyster

Wow, very nice! Was the seven mile river section flat water?
Deb dePeyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
Awetcanoe
Just spashin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb dePeyster View Post
Wow, very nice! Was the seven mile river section flat water?
We did a section of the Black river through Ludlow Vt. It is quickwater to class 1+ with 3 small dams to drop over. One dam brought a bit of water over the bow, more so on a friends kayak than my canoe.
Today we are heading up to a marsh that is a spring only paddle to get enough water in it's channel.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Slamdog

nice run

Love the last two photos......one of my favorite times of the year, breaking up the ice in the yak. I enjoy the paddle between Lake Pleasant and Sacandaga Lake (Speculator). Unfortunately, we still have over 20" of ice on the main water! Only a few more weeks.
Slamdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
shiraz627
Gary

I recognize the Sugar House in the background of the first picture. Is that chain of lakes worth paddling in Summer?
shiraz627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Awetcanoe
Just spashin'

I paddle the northern most one "Amherst" a few times a year. The ones in between, "Echo and Rescue" get powerboat traffic so I just go there early and late season.
All of these lakes get a bit to much road traffic noise once the Harleys come out for my liking.
There is also Woodford reservoir that drains to the north above these that is a restricted power lake. This is nice at times as well.

Todays paddle up in Tinmouth Channel was very quite, only issue was the deer I hit on the way there and the main road washed out from a beaver dam break just after we passed by.