Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Robin

Pictures of old canoe carrying vehicles

Going thru an old alblum, I found this, Cedar River Flow, cica 1984 maybe. My twin sons and I along with the lab Molly used to paddle up to the the river and camp where the big pines are on an island. We had some great times there, went many times. The Blazer is a 1969, 6 cyl, 4 speed, great truck for this kind of stuff. The canoes are an Old Town Camper and a Chestnut Pal wood canvas, I have the Pal, my son Brian has the Old Town, I gave his brother a MR Explorer.

Anybody else have any old vehicle/canoe pics?

[IMG][/IMG]
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

1st is our '79 Honda Accord at Moffits Beach with my 18'6" redwood stripper on top. My daughter is now a mom 1 1/2 times over...

Next up, same car in my driveway different stripper. Same family...

Lastly, my buddy's '82 Mazda B2000 in Long Lake village with his 327 Proboat on top.

I have to dig for them, but somewhere is my other buddy's 1976 Ford F150 with our 2 strippers on top...
stripperguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
paddlewheel
**BANNED**

I don't have a photo of an old vehicle....but this canoe is 100 yrs. old..They don't get much saltier than that....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0578.jpg (142.5 KB, 239 views)
paddlewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
8thday
**BANNED**

I don't have any old pics, just telling stripperguy to play 447 wheeled in the lottery. I played it for a long time straight & box. I had that tag # long ago & didn't know I could wheel it, so I tried all the combos straight & box but missed one & won $100.00 boxed. You'll know I'm lucky, so I'm wheeling that # tomorrow 1st thing! Sorry for the driftiness.
8thday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
paddlewheel
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thday View Post
I don't have any old pics, just telling stripperguy to play 447 wheeled in the lottery. I played it for a long time straight & box. I had that tag # long ago & didn't know I could wheel it, so I tried all the combos straight & box but missed one & won $100.00 boxed. You'll know I'm lucky, so I'm wheeling that # tomorrow 1st thing! Sorry for the driftiness.
No worries 8thday....we're all drifty here...

Hell ....I had to wake Hawk up to make sense of this thread..

He told me to go back to sleep & it's wasn't worth the effort of trying to figure it out..

Damn....I hate it when he's right alll the time......................
paddlewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

So I dug through my old photos...
here's my buddy's "new" 4WD 1978 Ford with both of our strippers on top.

And here is his old 1974? Ford with his stripper on top (1st boat I ever built)

Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
EarthBound
JeepGirl

Love the pictures guys !!!! Wish I had a pic of my 79 cj5 with my canoe on it...but I'd be cheating though cause the pic would be new even if the vehicle isn't... I was 11 when my jeep was built in Detroit.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
Awetcanoe
Just spashin'

This is not an old picture and these are not old boats, but yes the car is old. I carry my boats on a 1972 Colt much of the time when I go out paddling.
Awetcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
EagleCrag

stripperguy: Is your first canoe a redbird? Looks like mine--also my first stripper.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Mr Crag,
The first canoe I built wasn't a Redbird, it was a Micmac...it wasn't even mine!
A buddy of mine and I made a deal...we would build two canoes, one for each of us, his first. He was willing to accept any and all mistakes on a first time effort, then help me build mine.
That's just what we did, many mistakes, and the next year he helped me with mine (the redwood comp cruiser).
The Micmac was a shallow arched, 34" beam, 18 ft design from David Hazen's Strippers Guide to Canoe Building. We built it using white pine and polyester resin in 1978. It was an excellent tripping boat, weighed in around 52 lb, beautiful stems.
I've since lost touch we him, I don't even know if he still has that boat.