Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
Neil
Admin

Santa-L. Santa-Couch-Cold River-Emmons

There's nothing you can whack that can't be whacked. There's nothing you can do that can't be done. It's easy. All you need is...

Got underway with a 25 pound pack at 10 am and was on Santanoni Peak 3 hours later.
Bushwhacked off of Santa to the west and was on L. Santa 3 hours later. Interesting traverse.
Turned towards Couch and was inside my tarp tent with after-market bug netting installed, fed, watered, all prepped for the next day at 7pm.
Began moving at 6am the next day.
Nailed the really nice route to the final col before Couch and after summiting Couch started the whack to the Cold River at precisely 7:52.
Crossed the Cold 2h20 minutes later.

Went the wrong way down the NPT then turned around and learned I had crossed the Cold 2 minutes from Seward Brook and Ouluska LT.
Started up Seward Brook at 11:30 and was on top of Emmons at 3:45.
Set up camp at the Calkins junction and was in bed, fed, watered, prepped for the morrow etc. at 8:30.
Slept like a baby.
Got up at 4:45 and smelt rain so packed up ASAP and was on trail by 5:30.
Hiked for 8 hours in a monsoon.
Climbed into car, towel dried and changed into dry clothing.
Overall the 2-day whackpack was a study in being alone in a foreign environment and not letting sustained mental tension gain negative traction. The hike out in the rain was a study in perseverance.
The End.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #2
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

" smelt rain " I have heard of that phenomonen of raining fish before, think I saw it on the Smithsonian Channel. I think you were more credible when you fell out of the airplane.

Sounds like it was quite the adventure. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Nice!
Keep up the good work, Capt'!
No shame in trial & error when scouting for such a monumental accomplishment!
Best of luck, thanks for sharing, and looking forward to following along during your progress.
I still believe a video documentary of your journey would be groundbreaking.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Neil
Just before you crossed the Cold Did you have to cross the big swamp or did you miss it?
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:37 AM   #5
Neil
Admin

Missed the swamp. Intersected and left the horse trail just to the SW of the bridge and crossed the Cold just downstream of Seward Brook.
I placed two markers here to show where I crossed (twice within a week). Glen and I crossed at the upstream marker the first time, a week earlier. We went right over the NE one of the two little bumps. When I went back I steered more to the west to avoid climbing the intervening ridge between the horse trail and the river. I was sure I crossed upstream of Seward Brook but in fact was 2 minutes downstream of it.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #6
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Interesting route; good TR; see you tomorrow.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

I don't know if you found this , But on the west side of Seward Brook just past where the hill closes in on the stream there is a old tote road that leads to the stream that comes off Emmons. Once you find it. it is easy to follow, I was on it last summer. It might make things easier for you.
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote