Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #21
TCD

If you consider Shingletree Pond, check in advance for any claustrophobia among the group. The Shingletree culvert is the longest and narrowest of the Northway "walking culverts." It's walkable (you can stand upright) but it's a pretty long skinny run to the other end. A person with mild claustrophobia can get somewhat upset walking through there.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:08 PM   #22
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
If you consider Shingletree Pond, check in advance for any claustrophobia among the group. The Shingletree culvert is the longest and narrowest of the Northway "walking culverts." It's walkable (you can stand upright) but it's a pretty long skinny run to the other end. A person with mild claustrophobia can get somewhat upset walking through there.
lol, and you say you have no desire to publish an updated version of the Northway culvert guidebook.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:39 PM   #23
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
lol, and you say you have no desire to publish an updated version of the Northway culvert guidebook.
Hey DS, if you know something new about that culvert, please let us all know!

FYI, the book required hundreds of hours of time, and ended up costing me money (not quite breakeven). So it was fun, and a "labor of love", but if someone wants an update, they had better get to work on it! I have done my part.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #24
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

My apologies- my comment was meant in the spirit of light-hearted fun. I'm aware of the challenges you faced in getting it published, as well as the frustrations with the lack of appreciation for it by the hiking public, and was not attempting to make fun of those circumstances specifically. FWIW, I purchased a copy of it a few years ago and have found it to be super useful.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #25
TCD

No worries, DS!

I know there have been a couple changes in a couple areas, especially around Dirgylot Hill parking, and on the old roads that lead to the Schroon crossing at Wyman and Squaw.

I would actually like it if someone picked up the project of making a "2nd Edition." I would be happy to help with research and some writing.

But I would only work on it if the ADK decided to do the publishing. For those who might be interested, the field research and the writing are a lot of fun. Self publishing is expensive, and a lot of work.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:02 PM   #26
Dave Bourque
Footslogger

I would also like to pass along my kudos about the culvert guidebook. I'm very glad to have a copy. I believe that the ADK would be interested in the valuable information contained in the book. But I feel it would be more likely they would want to incorporate that information into the existing guidebooks that cover the culvert areas rather than as a separate guide. I am friends with one of the ADK's guidebook editors. I will approach him to gauge the ADK's interest. If an update is possible, I would be glad to assist in any way.
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:22 PM   #27
TCD

Thanks, Dave.

As you probably know, I had approached ADK early in the development of this book, and they declined the concept. I think this was because the potential market was too small. And experience bore that out; I printed 200 copies, and I did eventually sell them all in order to almost break even, but it took several years to sell the 200 copies.

I would be fine with the idea of this IP becoming part of ADK's guidebook series, and would be happy to negotiate with ADK for the value of the IP.

I appreciate any contact you might be able to make that might facilitate a discussion.

Thanks.

Tom
Old 03-30-2021, 10:58 AM   #28
Dave Bourque
Footslogger

Will do. Stay tuned. The extremely helpful information would be great additions to the ADK's High Peaks Trails and the ADK's Eastern Trails guidebooks.
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote