Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #1
chief900

Little Tupper Lake - odd reverberating sounds

Spent the better part of last week out on the far part of LTL (site 10) and throughout the daytime hours you could feel some sort of strange vibration while at the site. We have spend a lot of time at LTL and the entire W.C.W area and never had anything like this before, hence the post...

I crossed off the losing my mind/going crazy since I wasn't alone and both of us out there felt the same thing every single time it occurred. Every so often you'd get a similar feeling to when your heart beats super-fast to the point you feel it in your head. Only it certainly wasn't that - it was something causing a reverberating sensation that would start slowly before becoming more rapid and then dying off, all in a matter of maybe 3-5 seconds.

I imagine there's some sort of work being done way out in that area that's behind it but given the oddity of it figured I'd ask in case anyone in this forum had a clue.
chief900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:44 AM   #2
Ydnabronn

Felt the same thing at that same spot.

Pretty sure it was because I was there with you.
Ydnabronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

Whitney Death Ray
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
chief900

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Whitney Death Ray
Ha! Looking forward to some of these responses. Lost and Stranger Things certainly crossed my mind after 3+ days of feeling it
Old 09-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #5
Jwojcik1990

It kept up for 3 days?! That is wild, was it only during the day or did it also occur at night?
Jwojcik1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:07 PM   #6
Stillhunter

Maybe it was a Sonic weapon test... like Havana syndrome???
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
chief900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwojcik1990 View Post
It kept up for 3 days?! That is wild, was it only during the day or did it also occur at night?
yup. happened multiple times a day but never at night. Never felt it on the water (not surprised) and don't recall feeling it when we stopped at other areas along the lake (RR bridge at Charlie Pond, sites along Rock Pond outlet, southern part of lake, etc.).

Really wondering if those who camped at 11, 12 and other sites on that part of the lake experienced the same thing.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

My real guess is hydrofracking somewhere in the area. Possibly for a well?
Old 09-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #9
chief900

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
My real guess is hydrofracking somewhere in the area. Possibly for a well?
that would make sense. and selfishly certainly makes me happy to not live near any fracking sites if that's what they are living with every day!
Old 09-27-2021, 03:07 PM   #10
montcalm
Mobster

It’s just a guess based on my knowledge that well drillers do use that technology, although unlikely any gas or oil fracking in the Adirondacks.

I would have guessed earthquakes because they are not unheard of in the mountains but they don’t care if it’s day or night. Also if you didn’t feel them on the water that makes me think they were being transmitted through the stiff bedrock and didn’t have enough energy to propagate through the water. The only things I could think of that might ring the bedrock like that is mining or fracking. I don’t think there are any active mines near enough to LTL
Old 09-27-2021, 04:20 PM   #11
Wldrns

Was there any low rumble "booming" sound? If so was there at all direction noted, such as coming from the northwestern direction? Often artillery training fire can be heard coming from Fort Drum, even as far away as Tupper or beyond.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:38 PM   #12
Crash

Sounds to me like you heard a grouse. I had one next to my campsite in Moose River Plains this past weekend. I recorded the audio but don't know how to post it.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:47 PM   #13
Crash

Here is a youtube video of a ruffed grouse drumming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0obByQW23k
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:07 PM   #14
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief900 View Post
...start slowly before becoming more rapid and then dying off, all in a matter of maybe 3-5 seconds...

My bet is on grouse, fits your description perfectly.
I always get such a kick out of the idea of those guys beating their chests to attract the ladies, or impress the other guys.
I've seen the same phenomena in a local bar.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:40 AM   #15
St.Regis

There is no fracking in NYS for oil and gas - that was outlawed by Cuomo. I would have guessed minor earth tremors, but if they stopped at night, that seems improbable. Ft. Drum is a possibility. I've heard/felt rumbles a considerable distance from the range. I think the ruffed grouse theory is a good guess
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:30 AM   #16
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

We used to hear ruffed grouse a lot here 10 years ago, not so much now. They always sounded to me like someone about 100 yards away trying to start a lawn mower with a pull rope. The sound is not really loud, but carries a long way.
Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:50 AM   #17
Wldrns

Sure does sound like partridge, but the season is wrong. Usually heard just during mating season in the spring.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #18
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I've heard them in late summer/fall too, though not as often. Someone told me once that it's the young birds practicing so they'll be good at it in the spring, but that may not be true. I've heard young turkeys learning to gobble around this time of year too, a few times.
Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:47 AM   #19
St.Regis

I've heard ruffed grouse drum a lot in the fall. I suspect it's probably not so much a mating call, but more of a territorial thing. I've watched turkeys gobble and strut many times in the fall too. Ever have them so close you can feel the "Thummmm" when the go into a full strut and drag their wing tips on the ground? When you hear that sound and feel the vibe, they're really close. That's good stuff!!
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #20
chief900

appreciate the comments - certainly never thought of wildlife potentially being the culprit but I will say the cadence of the grouse drumming is pretty much spot on with what we experienced. That being said I don't recall hearing anything - really just something we felt. Next time it happens I'll be on the look-out!