Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #1
streamfish

Looking for club suggestions

Hello, I'm looking for suggestions on adirondack clubs that allow members to camp on their land. Over this past summer I had a very bad encounter with an individual on public land that has left my security feel jeopardized and I do not feel safe being in the woods after dark anymore. I have spent my summers in the adirondacks my whole life, and I would just like to be able to enjoy it again with a sense of security. I think joining a club would be the best thing for me.
streamfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #2
Glen
Check please

The great thing about the Adirondacks is the abundance of public land. Sorry for whatever happened to you. If you travel by yourself maybe carry bear spray?
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
streamfish

I do travel alone, and I do carry spray with me at all times. Unfortunately the laws in NY are very grey in regards to how I can use that spray legally. I guess at the end of the day, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. I have the means to protect myself, but I am not a violent individual and I would like to avoid that kind of situation as much as I possibly can.
streamfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #4
bluequill

Are you looking to join a Hunting/ Fishing club or just on an as needed basis a couple of times a year?
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:51 PM   #5
tenderfoot

Streamfish,

Sorry for your experiences.

Two quick thoughts: we switched to hammocks so we could camp off trail with ease and skip some of the "crowds." We pass people on trail but you'd be hard pressed to find us when we settle down for the evening.

Other thought is we greatly enjoy the Adirondack Mountain Club's wilderness campground. No RV's, way more subdued than DEC or state parks, in the heart of several trail systems.

Not exactly what you were asking for, but I hope helpful.

Jh
Old 01-15-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Even some DEC campgrounds may be what you are looking for. Not every DEC campground has a rambunctious party atmosphere like Fish Creek. It can take some research and maybe even some trial and error, but there are DEC campgrounds that are probably even a better guarantee of peace and quiet than some backcountry destinations, even.

If you have a canoe, you might try a campground with paddle in sites- for example, Putnam Pond (there's 10 or paddle in sites on the pond), Saranac Lake Islands, Taylor Pond (3 boat-access lean-tos on the pond) etc. These sites can give you a "wild" feel with the campground advantage of knowing you have a reserved spot waiting for you that no one else is going to show up and try to share.

I'm not super familiar with hunting clubs but the impression that I get is that while some of them certainly allow camping on their owned/leased properties, it's not an activity that many of their members regularly do- so finding nice and established campsites may be a challenge.

I'll also ditto Tenderfoot's comments about bushwhacking- if you can get away from any of the marked/maintained trails, your odds of seeing anyone else are microscopically small.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #7
tenderfoot

I can also share that one of my personal Covid Coping mechanisms is scouring Craigslist for van campers, large sailboats, and property in the ADK's. Pure escapism! For the land plan, I am not in a position to afford to build a full house (foundation, septic, well) but the idea of a DEC compliant hunting (hiking in my case) cabin is attractive or a simple lean-to. Heck even a tent platform.

You may find someone further along the trail that has already done this. Has land, permits camping. I know it is common to arrange time slots for hunting on private land - why not camping?

So basically achieving your goal without the word "club." I've had a few experiences with club-like organizations where the governance (everyone is an Admiral) rubs me the wrong way.

Ok, now you have me dreaming of "bear-b&b", like AirBnB but a) campsites and simple structures rather than cabins and b) member-only rather than wide open. DANG-KNAB-IT! Someone beat me to it: Hipcamp (no affiliation).
Old 01-15-2021, 12:14 PM   #8
mmaute
Cascadia

Sorry to hear about your negative experience. ADKHunter.com seems to have a list of hunting clubs and links to their websites. Also there was a previous thread about hunting clubs - although no recent posts, it may have some good info.

https://www.adkforum.com/showthread....t=Hunting+club
mmaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:21 PM   #9
Buckladd

Each club has its own individual rules about camping. Few allow tent camping, at least in my experience, but it does't hurt to ask. Usually, you join the club and pay the annual dues. An RV site is extra for the season, but some allow you to come and go for shorter periods of time (weekends, two weeks, etc.). Again, each club is different.

You'll find a few here: http://adkhunter.com/resources/ (scroll down)

DSettahr is right about DEC campgrounds. My wife and I usually go that route in our small RV. However, we prefer waterfront sites and they're tough to come by on weekends. But, we have had many great experiences over the years. We camp, on average, one weekend a month from May - Sept.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #10
MTVhike

At one point I looked into the Opalescent Club, to gain access to Allen, etc. but with a $675 annual dues, I gave up. I just went to their website and see that they are not accepting any new members (probably due to covid, just a guess).
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:19 PM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
At one point I looked into the Opalescent Club, to gain access to Allen, etc. but with a $675 annual dues, I gave up. I just went to their website and see that they are not accepting any new members (probably due to covid, just a guess).
With the MacIntyre east purchase they also don't have nearly as easy access to Allen these days. The boundary line is much further south, and the old road has been "naturalized" and is not the easiest for hiking anymore.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #12
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

I believe the Blue Mtn Lake club has camping available and is reasonable. They have a website.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:32 PM   #13
tenderfoot

I was just looking at Blue Mtn Lake Club and although they offer "campsites" it seems these may be for RV's. Their bylaws seem to ban tents.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:04 PM   #14
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Not sure what the access is to MRP but they have over 100 primitive campsites, some with thunderboxes.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:39 PM   #15
montcalm
Mobster

MRP is snowmobile access only during winter. The road is usually groomed though.

If I was in that area I'd just camp at 8th Lake - a parking area has always been plowed when I have been there.
montcalm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:55 PM   #16
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
MRP is snowmobile access only during winter. The road is usually groomed though.

If I was in that area I'd just camp at 8th Lake - a parking area has always been plowed when I have been there.
8th Lake is a good idea. Are they open in Winter?
Old 01-20-2021, 10:06 PM   #17
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
8th Lake is a good idea. Are they open in Winter?
No, all the DEC campgrounds close in winter, but many of them are plowed at least partially.

There's a big snowmobile connector there by Bug Lake, so it seems to be always plowed or packed down at least to the shower building, and no gates. It is, however, very busy with snow machines.
montcalm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #18
Tug Hill

If you are a resident of NY, with the proper training, you could get your pistol permit and carry concealed. Then feel safe anywhere you go.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #19
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

You could bushwhack for primitive camping but bring snowshoes. Sometimes it just isn't worth it. I know Prospect Point at Blue Mtn Lake has discounted prices in the Winter for cabins. Real stone fireplaces, free wood. free gourmet breakfast with choice of duck eggs, free use of fishing shanties, Free firewood, hot water showers and outdoor firepits. Bearproof dumpsters, Free use of boats and canoes, nice people. But if you want to rough it go right ahead.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:21 PM   #20
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
I was just looking at Blue Mtn Lake Club and although they offer "campsites" it seems these may be for RV's. Their bylaws seem to ban tents.
Few do, and I believe it is due to the landowner, not the club itself.