Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
ChrisM

Calamity Brook Trail

Looking for info on a day-hike I wanted to take my family on.

Wanted to hike on the trail that follows Calamity Brook (121 in the Adk Mt Club map) into Flowed Lands.

Anybody who give info, times, etc., on this part of the trail would be much appreciated.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
Bark Eater Too

Pleasant hike, relatively dry, nothing steep, nice, scenic place for a picnic on the shore of Flowed Lands near the leanto. I think the high water bridge is still out? but that isn't an issue as long as you aren't hiking in or immediately after a deluge. Easy rock hop most of the time. 4 miles or so one way (from memory).
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It's not a hard hike. The trail has been re-routed so that it only crosses Calamity Brook once now (it used to cross 3 times). I can't remember if there is a bridge at the crossing now or not, but in normal conditions, it's not a hazardous crossing.

At 8.6 miles round trip, with just under 1000 feet of elevation gain, a good estimate for time taken to hike in and out would be about 5 hours, not counting time spent at Flowed Lands or on longer breaks along the way. Your mileage may vary on this, though- as usual, an early start is a good idea.

Be sure also not to miss the memorial to David Henderson at Calamity Pond. He was part of a group that was scouting the headwaters of Calamity Brook to see if the Opalescent River could be diverted down the brook to provide water power to the mines in Tahawus, and he accidentally shot himself at the pond (which was later named Calamity Pond in reference to the incident). It's not much of a pond these days, more a marshy wetland.

If you've got time and energy on your way out, the Calamity Cross-over Trail that connects the Calamity Trail with the Indian Pass Trail is a neat trail through some nice hardwood forest that gets very little use. You could also take a side trip over the north shore of Henderson Lake from the Indian Pass Trail as well.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
Trail Boss

During a hike few weeks ago, I collected information about the Calamity Brook Trail (trail-registers, trail route, bridges, campsites, lean-to's, toilets, etc) and then entered it into OpenStreetMap.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=1...1143/-73.99902

I believe the second bridge is out but is only needed during high-water. The low-water crossing is fine.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=1...0629/-74.02085
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
ChrisM

Thanks

Bark Eater Too: Thanks for the info - that was what I was looking for.

DSettahr: I will definitely take that Calamity Cross-Over trail - appreciate the suggestion.

Trail Boss: The maps were a big help.

Thank you once again gentleman.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
l33tHoneyBadger

Just as an FYI, they fixed the high water bridge last August according to the DEC reports. I spoke with the ranger who's son fixed it and he confirmed the repair unless it has been damaged since then. The lower path if you want to skip the bridge is fairly easy to pass.
Tupper Lake Triad: #23 WSD & #405 SSD
Saranac 6er: 3/6

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/uphillbothways/
l33tHoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #7
ChrisM

Thanks for the heads-up HoneyBadger.

Appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #8
tenderfoot

We did it Last Oct and it was a great trip. I do not recall any major detours for bridges out.

John
Old 07-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
Will Canoe
All Season Explorer

You mentioned a family...how young are your children? I did that with my 12 year old and we stayed on L. Colden. It was a tough day for her and a full pack but as a day hike it would be charming.
Will Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #10
ChrisM

Will Canoe,

Just got back from the ADKs.

Did not do Calamity Brook Trail; family wanted to hike peaks (Blueberry, Hopkins, Pitchoff).

Next year I will get to Calamity.

All the best.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:51 AM   #11
miley394

Very good hike. I loved it.
miley394 is offline   Reply With Quote