Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
LDYHYKER
Would rather be outdoors.....

Giant Mountain 06/20/10

Well, we hiked our first Peak this weekend. Me, my husband, our 15 yr old son and our 10 yr old daughter spent Father's Day in the woods. We decided to do Giant for various reasons. We began our day at the Noon Mark Diner for breakfast. We got a later start than we had hoped for but it worked to our advantage as the sky opened up and it poured just as we sat down to eat. We parked at the Roaring Brook Lot and began on the Roaring Brook Trail, visited the falls and then cut over the Giant's Washbowl Trail to take the Zander Scott Trail to the summit. The ledges were a little nerve racking at first and I was thinking I wouldn't want to be on them in the rain. The kids loved them though and the views were amazing. We encountered mosquitoes in a couple of spots but they were manageable with all-natural bug spray.

We were surprised how quiet it was on the trail. We only saw a handful of people and only in passing. We didn't see anyone on the Zander Scott trail until we got close to the junction with Roaring Brook Trail.

After visiting the Summit and enjoying the views, we proceeded down the Roaring Brook Trail, which looked as though trail maintenance has been done recently. (THANK YOU for your hard work!!) We saw a few more people on this trail.

We are an active family (I run marathons) and we are frequent hikers but this was our first High Peak. I have to say it was more challenging than we thought and it definitely took a round out of us. The trails were nice and well marked, the views spectacular and once we mend all our aches and pains we will be back to tackle another peak!!

Happy Trails!!
LDYHYKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
jan

Congratulations on your first high peak! The first time I climbed Giant I did your loop in the opposite direction. Coming down the Scott trail was tough for me because my legs are short and the steps are big. I was sore for a week I think. Sounds like you guys did great and now you can start planning your next adventure.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Nice job! Giant is a fantastic peak...wait til you hike some other high peaks and see how impressive it looks from those! Last time I was there the summit ledges were very crowded, which was a little unnerving for me.

Good luck on your next high peak adventure.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
SummitHat
That was fun

Congratulations on your family's landmark Adirondack hike! Giant is a very nice peak - one of many to enjoy. One of the things that Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge offer is wild blueberries along the trail in summer - a treat.

Kudos also on doing it together as a family. Memories of these types of adventures will be recalled fondly in the decades ahead.

Enjoy the Adirondack adventures to come!
SummitHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
starzero
The Inquisitorial Botanist

Nice report and great way to spend Father's Day. As SummitHat mentioned you will have great memories of this day for many years to come. Good luck and best wishes with all your future family hikes.
starzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
LDYHYKER
Would rather be outdoors.....

Thanks everyone!!
LDYHYKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
Walking Beaver

I was on Giant Saturday with my wife and two sons this was # 4 of 46 for us we're going to do all 46 as a family. It was a beautiful day to be out with the family. Hope you and you family enjoy the mtns as much as we do.
Walking Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
SummitHat
That was fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Beaver View Post
this was # 4 of 46 for us we're going to do all 46 as a family.
What a great way to do the high peaks!
Are you saving a particular summit for #46?
SummitHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Walking Beaver

Allen since its our last name.
Walking Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
giant mountain, roaring brook trail, zander scott trail