Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2003, 02:29 AM   #21
Mavs00
I am the sith

EMS Packs

For my treking, I use a EMS 5500. I love it. It's got plenty of room for.............. well TOO much stuff. I'm the mule in my group too and my pack weight for short 3 dayers is about 55-60 lbs. It handles it fine and is as comfortable as that much weight can be. Also the price is right ($150 on sale). I've actually used one of the more expensive Gregory packs (on loan from a buddy) and I was not crazy about it. It was nice and all, just not worth the extra cash for me. I have to outfit 4 people (my family) so cost is an issue.

I also used a light EMS 3200cc daypack from my daytrips. I like that just as much. It has an insulated bladder for winter as well.

Shop wisely, but just don;t shoot for "top of the line stuff" cuz it's more expensive. EMS stuff is often good stuff that costs a little less. You won't beat thier service either.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:07 AM   #22
Kevin
**BANNED**

EMS has been VERY good to me so far, and I certainly do not disregard their products either... I have a few EMS badged items and they are all good quality. I even had problems with my merrill hiking shoes and they exchanged them with no questions asked (well, they did ask why, but didn't make a fuss ).

Jeff and myself have agreed to take a trip to EMS together in the coming days to try on packs and to price gators, pants, and a jacket (so I don't have to worry about getting wet anymore).

Last edited by Kevin; 11-14-2003 at 09:15 AM..
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 02:12 PM   #23
altec
Young Buck

I wish there was an EMS around here....I love most of the stuff that they carry, and they are very reasonable with prices. The closest outdoor store I have though is an REI outlet, that is like a 1 and a half hour drive, and has ridiculous prices.

As for the gaiters Kevin, check out the OR Crocadile gaiters. They are a bit pricy - $50, but the things have lasted me since I was in my wilderness program a little under three years ago. They are just simply beasts, oh and they are pretty damn effective at keeping the water out of your boots too.
altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 05:13 PM   #24
ADackR
livin' it

I second Altec with the OR gaitors.. mine have been put through the motions many times and still keep on kicking( pun intended)
ADackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:56 PM   #25
mtgoat
Mountain Man Moderator

I made the best Gaiters I have ever had. It is really easy to make them too. As a mater of fact I think it is possible to make most of your own custom outdoor clothing. But back to the gaiters. I crossed a lot of deep streams regularly and needed some that went all the way up like hip boots that were light weight, able to be compressed to almost nothing and waterproof. I used a light weight cordura with some YKK zippers and some closed cell foam sheeting. I made a large 1 1/2" flap on the inside of the zipper to seal them and lined the bottoms with the foam to seal against my boots. The plan (that actually worked) uses the water pressure to make the seals tight. I soon discoverd that I no longer needed to pack rain pants when I had these with me. I am also a big beleiver in pants made from SP3 fabric.
mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 01:40 PM   #26
altec
Young Buck

mtgoat, I wish I was a resourceful as that. I would never have to buy anythign again. More props to you man if you are that good at making stuff.
altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 04:48 PM   #27
mtgoat
Mountain Man Moderator

It is not nearly as hard as you might think! There are still some things I would rather buy than mess with making. And it turns out those are some of my more costly purchases. Sometimes neccesity is the mother of improvisation! I like to take notes on what works and doesn't while I am out and then think of how it could be better then execute at home on a trial and error basis.
mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 05:25 PM   #28
Kevin
**BANNED**

FYI, I tried on a pack at EMS last night (5500 ci) and it was VERY compfortable and fit me well... it wasn't a name-brand, but for the price I couldn't go wrong.

They had a $149 4700 ci pack that may be more my style (if I can get by with 3250 ci now, then 4700 will be more than enough.

I'm still torn about spending a little more for more quality... I won't be deciding this for some time, so I'll have to check back in 4 months and pick this back up...

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 10:42 AM   #29
Silverback
Dazed and Confused

I agree with ADackR. The Redcloud is a roomy and inexpensive pack. Used it on week-long excursions into Alaska and it held up well and plenty of space for my gear.
Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote