Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
VTskier

Navigating the bog on Bog River

Heading to Bog River/Lows Lake this coming weekend. Wondering, when headed toward Lows Lake is the best route around the bog river left or right?
VTskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
mmccarthy7220

There has always been a small channel to the right of the bog which you can paddle through. Or at least drag your boat through.
mmccarthy7220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
richard1726

Or sometimes on the Left. It’s always been obvious.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Wldrns

drag on the left, shift to open water shallow channel on the right, you will see it.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
TrailBlaser

As was said, there used to be a channel on the right that you could take all the way through. When I went through in June, the way through was on the left. After starting on the left, I did cut over to the right to check it out and it looked like you could get through from that point. Either way, you'll probably have to get out of your boat. I'll be going there later this week and will check it out.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
Vtdonn

If coming from the east I'd just land on the left and take a short stroll up the path and look river right for the passage to the shallow channel. This late in the season you'll probably be best lining your boat up that channel, rather than paddling because it is so narrow and, well, shallow. Alternatively, you can continue the portage on the left as the trail is well worn, but why carry when you can float?
Vtdonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:09 AM   #7
TrailBlaser

My daughter, son-in-law and I just spent 3 wonderful days at Lows. We went in on Thursday; it was packed. The only site open on the river above the bog was #12. We wanted to go further so we checked out the sites at the start of the lake: 13-21. All were taken except 16, which is where we stayed. Coming from the upper dam, we went by the first part of the bog on the left. When we got to the open water in the middle, we cut over to the right bank and walked our boats out to the open water. We could tell we weren't the only ones taking that route. Staying left, you'll have to get through an area that is simultaneously dry and muddy, with logs to navigate around as well. We checked it out and noted a lot of damage to the floating bog. IMHO, the DEC should create a passageway that prevents damage to the bog. Years ago, you could go all the way past on the right without damaging the bog.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
VTskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
My daughter, son-in-law and I just spent 3 wonderful days at Lows. We went in on Thursday; it was packed. The only site open on the river above the bog was #12. We wanted to go further so we checked out the sites at the start of the lake: 13-21. All were taken except 16, which is where we stayed.
Trailblazer, I must have been just ahead of you on Thursday, got there at 9:30 and the lot was full, so got the second spot along the road. I stayed at site 13, great views, nice breeze off the water, but no flat places to pitch a tent. Friday morning was gorgeous with the fog and mirror still late.

Have to agree about the bog portage, the bog is being killed with all the foot traffic on it. I stayed left, did the small muddy portage, paddled up to the next portage on left and just walked the rocks with my pack, then carried/dragged the canoe over. Messy bit that area!
Old 08-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #9
TrailBlaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTskier View Post
Trailblazer, I must have been just ahead of you on Thursday, got there at 9:30 and the lot was full, so got the second spot along the road. I stayed at site 13, great views, nice breeze off the water, but no flat places to pitch a tent. Friday morning was gorgeous with the fog and mirror still late.

Have to agree about the bog portage, the bog is being killed with all the foot traffic on it. I stayed left, did the small muddy portage, paddled up to the next portage on left and just walked the rocks with my pack, then carried/dragged the canoe over. Messy bit that area!
Hi VTskier,
We got a late start and had a 5-hour drive, so we arrived at the put-in at about 1 PM. Very few sites were open on our way in; #12 was and it is a nice site, but my daughter and son-in-law wanted to be on or closer to the lake so we paddled on. We ended up at #16, which is not one of my favorite sites, but considering the time and no other nearby sites open, we had no choice but to take it. It ended up working out fine. I like 13; it is a nice site.

We did the same as you at the second carry on our way in, but from the looks of the bog there, others seem to be walking on the bog to get by. I plan on writing to the DEC about what's happening there, if for no other reason but to see what their thoughts are on it. On the way out, we met the backcountry steward at the upper dam, but I forgot to mention it to him.

Maybe we'll meet up on a paddle some time.
Regards,
John Blaser
Old 08-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #10
webby459

As per the above two posts, I'm reticent to go to Bog River/Lows as I had planned this coming weekend, 8/10-8/13. I'm going with my 3 kids and didn't want to force them to paddle more than a couple miles to have an open camp site. What do the past couple posters think? Seems unlikely to have much of a choice of camp sites until we get substantially into Lows Lake. We would be starting Saturday morning.

I have an alternate idea, so we won't be stuck...
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #11
sweeper

We're headed up Friday and thought about Lows but it looks like Hoel/Floodwood now for the same reasons a webby's.
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #12
TrailBlaser

Personally, I would consider the following: There are good campsites on Hitchins Pond, thereby avoiding the carry and the bog. The parking area and the register will indicate how busy it is. There are usually a lot of day trippers. Most people go up to the sites on the lake. If it doesn't look good, it isn't far to Round Lake or Little Tupper.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #13
VTskier

As Trailblazer noted, there were empty sites on my way in on Bog River/Hitchins Pond. I would think if you aren't heading in until Sat, most any of the ADK ponds are going to be busy with both campers & daytrippers. I thought heading in very early on a Thursday I wouldn't see hardly anyone, boy was I wrong.

And as far as the bog, on my way out I came up to the bog as 3 wood/canvas canoes with 1 adult and 5 boys (ages 9 - 12?) were finishing up getting thru. They hauled those canoes across, had wooden wanigans, and lots of duffles. They were all smiling, laughing, and having a good time. Didn't hear any complaints other then they wanted more snacks. So it really is passable with some will and a good attitude be it an adult or kid.

FYI - the first campsite on the Bog River after the put-in at lower dam is like 3 minutes :-) Not sure how popular it is, but you sure can check it out quickly.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #14
TrailBlaser

On one of trips to Lows I arrived at the put-in really late and ended up camping at site 3. It's a nice site.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #15
webby459

I would have no problem camping at one of the sites prior to the upper dam, especially for the first night or two. We'll be there until Tuesday morning, so I'd think no matter where we end up Sunday and Monday nights should be quiet.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:34 PM   #16
Wldrns

Avoid Site #4, on the back side of the NE bay to the right on Hitchens. Weedy and bug filled. Most others are good.