Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
Redbeard

A Walk In The Woods

Anyone see the movie? I read the book and saw the film, just curious to hear others thoughts...
Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Read the book and saw it as well. Interesting depiction of the characters.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
yellowcanoe

I know it was not supposed to be faithful to the book but in the end ...really? Not cause they were in their old age..that is fine..I am too but I kept laughing at how much gear was not used and how much gear appeared in camp yet the packs were slingable..
If you have trekking poles, its probably a good idea to use them especially in places you might fall

Kind of a woodsy "Grumpy Old Men"
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
Redbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Interesting depiction of the characters.
A VERY interesting depiction of the characters. IMO: Nick Nolte was over-compensating a bit too much.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
Redbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
Kind of a woodsy "Grumpy Old Men"
A PERFECT description... The one thing I can't stand in movies is fake scenery. And I hate to play spoiler to anyone out there who might be interested in seeing the movie. But at the time and place of their lil uncomfortable overnighter - the scenery was SOOO fake - HATE that! In the day and age of CGI, c'mon!?! That really sank it for me. If you're going to do a movie about the AT, let's keep it real folks! That's part of the draw for some people...the scenery!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Haven't read the book yet, but I did see the movie and was a little disappointed. My girlfriend absolutely hated it. We both thought "Wild" was much better, and we're looking forward to seeing "Everest".
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Bucknut
46er #7721

The book was amazing. The movie adaptation was quite possibly the worst of all time
The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver
Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
littlewolf
**BANNED**

I read the book & really enjoyed it but I noticed that it wasn't in the theaters very long .. As a matter of fact I went to see it & accidently bought tickets for "The walk"...couldn't understand why a backpackin' flick was in 3-d Imax..
but you know what? Life is a funny thing...the movie "The walk" about that crazy guy that walked the wire between the Twin Towers was one of the best movies I ever saw. Awesome.........unbelievably well done....my palms were sweating & my heart was racing..I was in the wrong place but at the right time.........yessiree bob..........I guess....
littlewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:06 AM   #9
Redbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
The movie adaptation was quite possibly the worst of all time

'Nuff said and right on point!
Old 10-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
wiiawiwb

I read the book and thought it was fantastic. Saw a snippet about the movie and decided not to go. I wouldn't pay two cents to see DeNiro or Nolte do anything.

It discolors an iconic book.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #11
littlewolf
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
I read the book and thought it was fantastic. Saw a snippet about the movie and decided not to go. I wouldn't pay two cents to see DeNiro or Nolte do anything.

It discolors an iconic book.
Sorry ...but don't you mean Redford & Nolte?
littlewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #12
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

I thought it was pretty entertaining, but not nearly as much as the book, which is hilarious. Nick Nolte (Katz) was good for some laughs.

It was a little hard to suspend my disbelief that someone in as poor condition as Nick Nolte could make it more than a day or two. And in general, I think the age of the two stars was a bit too much of a stretch...and in the movie they made it much further than in the book!

I wanted more of their interaction with the obnoxious know-it-all girl. That was one of the best parts of the book.

Agreed that it was silly to see them carrying poles on their packs, yet never using them...like when crossing the stream, or to try to reach the make-shift rope that Katz through up onto the branch when they were stuck on the cliff.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #13
desmobob
Old, tired.

When Hollywood makes a movie from a book I really enjoyed, I have learned that most times, I will not enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoyed the book. In some cases, I will not enjoy it at all. I won't spend money to see "A Walk In The Woods" but, odds are, I'll see it eventually, somewhere.

What's your favorite movie adaptation? Mine is the movie based on Joseph Conrad's novella, "Heart of Darkness." The movie: "Apocalypse Now."

Take it easy,
Bob
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:06 PM   #14
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The most faithful movie adaptation of book, IMO, is Das Boot. Which is funny, because the author the book hated the movie because of how much he felt it departed from what he wrote.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:28 PM   #15
Neil
Admin

I thought The Shining was very well done as a movie based on a book.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #16
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
What's your favorite movie adaptation? Mine is the movie based on Joseph Conrad's novella, "Heart of Darkness." The movie: "Apocalypse Now."

Take it easy,
Bob
Mine would have to be either "Stand By Me" or "The Shawshank Redemption" "The Green Mile" is a close third. All by Stephen King.

As a general rule, if a movie is adapted from a Stephen King short story, it's usually pretty good because they don't have to try to fit 800 pages into 2 hours. IMHO, most of his full-novel adaptations are real stinkers compared to the book.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #17
geogymn

The "Godfather" . The movie is better than the book. Very rare.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #18
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I like the movie version of The Third Man much better than the original Graham Greene novella on which it was based. Partly the music and partly that the ending is much stronger in my opinion.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #19
reindeergirl

desmobob - My favorite adaptation is from Cormac McCarthy's The Road.
reindeergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #20
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I thought The Shining was very well done as a movie based on a book.
Interesting, Neil. Many years ago I saw SK at a promotional event for "Needful Things" and he had nothing good to say about that film, or Kubrik.

Speaking of Stephen King, "Stand By Me", the film adaptation of "The Body", was fantastic, and very true to the book.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote