Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2003, 01:03 AM   #1
Kevin
**BANNED**

looking for a suggestion on a new pack

I need a new pack, the one I have now was given to me and it's a good for someone about 6 inches shorter (I'm 6' 3" and it's a tad small for me).

Been looking around but can't make up my mind, so I figure I'll let someone else do it for me.

Thanks!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 10:43 PM   #2
mtgoat
Mountain Man Moderator

Are you looking for and internal frame or external frame? What kind of capacity and how long do you usually go out for? What features dou you like and what don't you like?
mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:01 PM   #3
mtbnski
Disqualified from the rat race

RE: pack

I use the White Mountain Guide pack from LL Bean. It's not expedition grade, but it can handle most trips.

I'm currently bidding on another one on ebay. Here's the URL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=36111&rd=1

BTW, I'm 6'2" and the large pack fits great!

Laters...
Old 11-10-2003, 12:29 PM   #4
Kevin
**BANNED**

Thanks!

That may be a little small, I tend to be a bit of a mule for the group when I hike as I'm usually one of the younger guys, so I last a little longer with the extra weight... I'm not even sure how 'large' my current pack is, can't be very as I end up tying much of my gear to it.

I'm not real savvy on gear yet. I've been piecing together a nice base of gear for 3 season hiking and, like I said, tend to carry the tent and cooking gear, so I need something rather large to carry that and all my personal needs/food, as well as the sleeping bag and mat... did the whole Gothics-armstrong-upper/lower wolfjaw with 50+ lbs on my back, and were more of my weigh on my hips, I'd likely have had a better time than the pain my upper body and shoulders experienced.

Prior to this summer I did little hiking and effectively had zero gear. So, in a matter of 6 months, I've accumulated enough to go soloing should I choose to.

I'd like something with an internal frame, and under $200. Needs to have places to tie things off. Needs to be designed with tall people in mind. Mine looks tall but is obviously designed for someone under 6 feet in height. Those are about the only requirements.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:48 PM   #5
mtgoat
Mountain Man Moderator

Have you ever looked at Kifaru? I linked you to the military side as most here might not want the hunting stuff. I learned about this gear while serving overseas. They make outstanding gear but it isn't cheap.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:09 PM   #6
Kevin
**BANNED**

Wow! Wonderful gear! Seriously, those are some of the best packs I've seen...

But...

Twice my price range... and I really can't afford more than $200 after spending $1900 plus accessories on my new laptop this week

I requested a catalogue anyway... maybe I can eat hotdogs for a month and get one of the $318 variety [I figure if it last for 15 years it's worth getting that over a $200 that may only last 10]

Last edited by Kevin; 11-10-2003 at 04:18 PM..
Old 11-11-2003, 12:16 PM   #7
DLHiker

There are a zillion options out there, and there are lots of intangibles in determining whtihc pack is best for you. So try on as many as possible. Fit is everything.

Generally, though, I think you get what you pay for with this kind of gear. The high end gear tends bring high end performance (and customer service). Check out Gregory's packs. I love my gregory massiff which is enormous (7000 ci). Recently, I have become impressed with Osprey too. I just purchased an Osprey eclipse.
DLHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:11 PM   #8
ADackR
livin' it

take a look at Kelty, I'm 6'5" and use a Redcloud 6400ci fits perfect. I use this on week+ trips for summer without any problems. I also use this pack for 4-5 days in the winter...

For day trips I use a 3500ci Rok, it serves it's purpose well.

Have you ever looked into EMS packs. They have a great series right now. Some really nice internal frame packs and there service is impeckable

good luck
ADackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:50 PM   #9
Kevin
**BANNED**

EMS is certainly an options as we have 2 stores locally... I think I'll head down there soon and see what fits well so I have a better frame of reference... I have some other smallish items to pickup anyway, like some decent winter gloves/ski gloves, etc...

I'll look into the Gregory and Kelty line once I try on a few styles at EMS (will also note the dimensions so I can try to closely match them from one of the other comapnies).

I really want to do this right, as I don't want to have to get another pack anytime soon. I appreciate the advice, I'm taking any and all considerations very seriously .
Old 11-11-2003, 03:39 PM   #10
mtgoat
Mountain Man Moderator

Kevin,

Don't forget Lowe and Dana as they make some real high quality packs too. I never did figure out if you are looking for Internal or external frame. I also like looking at Outdoor Reviews to see how different products rated with the users. It is all user reviews so You get to see first hand and weed out the odd balls of course. I looked at the REI Cima 80 once and thought it looked real good too.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:36 PM   #11
Jeff

I would have to agree with mtgoat on this subject. Although somewhat pricey, Dana Design and Lowe Alpine make some of the best packs out there. I'm not saying this because I'm biased, but I have done considerable research over the last five years and these keep coming up as the cadillacs of backpacks.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 05:37 PM   #12
ADKMan

You might want to take a look at the Gregory Palisade pack. Campmor has them on sale right now for about $169 - that's a steal for a pack of this size and quality.
ADKMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 09:26 AM   #13
DLHiker

he's right

ADKman is right--that si a great deal on the Gregory Palisades.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:05 PM   #14
altec
Young Buck

I am currently using a Gregory Shasta, and I love it. I have also owned a Dana Design and a Lowe Alpine, but this Gregory is where it's at for me. I'm a bit smaller than you (about 6'0), so it may not be the right option in your arena, but I will say that Gregory makes a great pack.....
altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 08:31 PM   #15
Jeff

Sorry folks. I inadvertantly omitted Gregory from my list of top packs that one should consider. Thought about it today while at work and again was reminded as I read the new posts. Thanks for keeping me on my feet.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 08:53 PM   #16
altec
Young Buck

Well, in that case....

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...ory_rn=4500572
That Lowe Alpine pack looks like a good deal for a larger guy, and I will admit that they are excelently made packs

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...8000&langId=-1
That is also a very good Lowe Alpine pack. One of my good friends has one, and he swears that it is the best pack that he has ever owned.

Those two may be a bit pricey, but they are both good packs, that will last you a long while.

Edit: With those, I am assuming that you are looking for a large, extended trip pack....they are both over 4,000 cubic inches.
altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 09:07 PM   #17
Ducker

I've used a Kelty Super Tioga & been very happy with it. It's an external frame pack. I carried it for over 100 miles with 50+ lbs in it for a trek in New Mexaco. It served me quite well.
Ducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:10 PM   #18
Kevin
**BANNED**

I just wanted to ackowledge all the excellent posts (I like trhe second pack you linked to altec), I also like the $169 price opn the other pack... I still have to make EMS this week before I can take my next step.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:58 PM   #19
DLHiker

It's been a while since I visited EMS, but I was never impressed with their pack selection (or prices). I know that they have excellent service, though.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:12 PM   #20
AlpineSummit
Walk Softly

I haven't read thru this thread so pls forgive if someone already said this.
Ok, here goes: Pack up your old pack w/the same stuff you carry on a hike when you go to shop for your new one.

Load it up, see it fits & feels. Buying a pack is hard, to get the right one anyway. Plan on at least an hour foolin' with 'em all.

One last thought. I was always put off by packs w/out bottle holders. Not anymore, my current pack doesn't have 'em - I use insulated water bottle holders that attach to my pack. Just as good.........