Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
squeak12

Adirondack Sailing

Hi
I am looking for a lake to sail and camp on (other than Lake George and Champlain)
Has anyone had experience sailing on Forked Lake/ Raquette/ Cranberry Lake
For example?
Any info would be great
Thanks
squeak12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
ScAtTeRbOnE
Balsam Sniffer

I'm not sure how suitable the lakes are up in the northern ADKS, but my father has a Catalina over on Sacandaga Lake (Reservoir). There's Northampton Beach Campground at Northville for camping as well.
ScAtTeRbOnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
ADKian

Never personally done it but I saw quite a few people sailing on Raquette when I was canoeing on it. Sacandaga is also a good one, it's huge.
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
snav3

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak12 View Post
Hi
I am looking for a lake to sail and camp on (other than Lake George and Champlain)
Has anyone had experience sailing on Forked Lake/ Raquette/ Cranberry Lake
For example?
Any info would be great
Thanks
I’ve sailed on Forked, Cranberry, Forth, Blue Mt, Stillwater and other some lakes in the ADK. I actually first learned to sail at Boy Scout camps on Massawepie and Salmon Reservoir.

The lakes up there can be a challenge with gusty and shifting winds. Winds can come and go quickly and I’ve seen more than one person run down a lake, only to have the wind die out and have to paddle back with the center board.

Forked Lake, for one is quite shallow with a lot of hidden rocks just below the surface. I wouldn’t bring anything much bigger than a Sunfish on that lake. The larger lakes are less of a problem with this, but being familiar with the body of water beforehand would be very helpful.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Squeak,

Welcome to the Forum!! Please stop by here and introduce yourself.

I have sailed and windsurfed on quite a few Adirondack lakes. I also avoid Lake George ( bad wind and too many careless motorboats operators) and Lake Champlain ( just too big!).

Raquette has excellent wind and and plenty of water depth, along with DEC maintained public campsites.
Cranberry seems to be ideal, many, many primitive camping sites, plenty of open water and unobstructed wind, though I have never sailed there.
Indian has reliable wind, but watch for rock outcroppings, submerged and exposed.
Then there's Sacandaga Lake and Reservoir, Lake Pleasant, Tupper Lake, the list is endless.

What size/type of sailboat do you have? That makes a big difference on what water to recommend...

Here's a look at Sacandaga sailing (Lake, not reservoir)

stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

We have a Lightening on Cranberry. As stated above the winds can be very variable with all of the hills, islands,etc. causing winds shifts . Prevailing wind is westerly but as stated...
Our boats board is 6 feet so we stay away from the shore and marked rocks/shoals.
Sailing can be exciting as you round an island that has funneled the wind into a gale!

What type of boat are you using?

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

A few photos of good wind on Lake Harris...

stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
AdkHikerKid

I don't sail but a friend of mine does and in Newcomb - Harris Lake - they have a campground and a beach and a beach further down 28nd its the public beach and not to many people go there.
You live one. - Anonymous
AdkHikerKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cranberry lake, forked lake, raquette lake, sailing