Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
mel_lk

Another newbie wants advice - bringing baby on first adk trip!

Yep I'm that person... after stalking this forum for a while the first post I make is to look for advice!

I am wanting to plan a trip taking my 7 month old out to the adk area for the first time. Looking for suggestions on which mountain to pick!

We are moderately in shape, and I have been taking her for 2-3 hours in her carrier no problems so far. I see her being able to handle 5-6 hours with a break or two. Peaks we have done in the past and loved include Hurricane, Ampersand, Pitchoff Ridge, Noonmark, Cascade, Little Porter, and Catamount.

So basically, looking for a half day hike (we drive from Ontario), something with a view (ideally half way one too so if we have to turn back its ok), and something without major scrambles. Would love for it to be a 46er but I know the challenge it would be on my legs for first major hike this year and carrying 20 lbs on my back.

I was thinking Giant, but the steeper rocks at the top might be a bit too hard with her in the pack? She is still little (like me!!!) and though she meets the requirements to fit in her osprey, its just barely.

Was also thinking Big Slide via brothers.. but maybe too long? Would hate to have to pay for parking and then turn back after first peak.

Thoughts???
mel_lk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
rdl

I carried my 3 month old daughter up Cascade many years ago. She finished her 46 about 20 years later.

I'm not really sure what she or I got out of climbing a high peak as opposed to any other mountain. She slept most of the way up, crawled around on the summit for 5 minutes and then mushed cheerios into my hair most of the way down. That same thing could have happened on most any hike/mountain.

So it boils down to what you think you'll be able to handle, figuring you'll be carrying a possibly squirming bundle on your back with all the equipment that goes along with that bundle. I would avoid anything scrambly that might result in a slip caused by a sudden shift in the load on your back.

Depending on how you're driving down, perhaps one of the Saranac 6 ? McKenzie is a scenic hike with some views on top.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
mel_lk

Saranac 6

That sounds like a real good idea.

We have already done Ampersand and Scarface and they were more the kind of difficulty we should be looking at for this trip.

I think the only reason I want it to be a 46 is for me. We started 3 years ago and have completed a whole of 1 lol. Did Cascade, realized how out of shape we were, then started a fewer lower ones to get experience. Then sidetracked with life, buying our first home, then pregnant, now to accomplish with baby lol.

Would Haystack be a gentler rise than McKenzie?
Old 05-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
TCD

This thread from our sister forum may be helpful:

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...es-in-the-adks
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
rdl

Quote:
I think the only reason I want it to be a 46 is for me. We started 3 years ago and have completed a whole of 1 lol.
Take your time, if you get your kid(s) hooked you'll be doing them all over again anyway.

After we did that initial Cascade hike, for the next couple years we stayed at the Heart Lake campground and focused on hikes that we felt were appropriate for our kids: hike up Jo, hike to Rocky Falls, Marcy Dam, etc... Took our time, didn't have the summit or bust attitude. Spent hours playing in Heart Lake looking at salamanders and snakes. Gradually moved up from Jo. My son was always a mountain goat, my daughter was a little more reluctant but she came around. Wright was my daughters first peak she climbed fully by herself and she was 5 then. I think I have a picture...

Anyway 20 years later both my kids had climbed all 46 peaks(and many others) and we all have a lifetime of memories. So, it's ok to start off small...

Old 05-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
mel_lk

Thanks TDC I am going to print that off!

Great pic rdl!!! It's seeing kids on the trail that got me so excited in the first place to have my own. Must have only been our 3rd peak and there was a 7 yr old or so just so excited and could run circles around us with all his energy coming down, and we were not even half way up! Made me realize that I too could have kids and introduce them to this lifestyle. It's all new to me, and it is really uplifting to that others have been able to make it happen
Old 05-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
EagleCrag

While not one of the 46, you might consider Blue Mountain. Sounds like the length of hike you're looking for. Perhaps some of the other peaks with fire towers.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
mel_lk

We did Haystack and had a wonderful time! She absolutely loved neing outside all day. She slept in her carrier no problem. And gave wonderful smiles to passing hikers, but of course not the camera.
Couples things I learned - seriously underestimated the energy required to carry an extra 20 lbs all day. At least your pack gets lighter as you eat and drink.. she doesn't. Hubby carried her up and we switched going down.
Brought way too many clothes. I was worried about cold temps at summit, should have paid attention to the height. No need for a zillion layers.
And last - i should have brought more food! No where close to starving but I forgot to take into account the extra calories from breastfeeding and carrying her (in comparison to pre baby hikes).
All in all, loved it and cant wait to get out for next one. High peaks will have to wait until she can walk a bit herself☺ just a tad tired from that one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150524_143337.jpg (157 Bytes, 70 views)
Old 05-25-2015, 08:40 PM   #9
rdl

Haystack's a cool peak -- glad you had a good time.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #10
ADKJoe

Bald Mountain just north of Old Forge is a great family hike complete with the Rondaxe fire tower. Great open views of the Fustian Chain of Lakes.

http://www.cnyhiking.com/BaldMountain.htm
ADKJoe is offline   Reply With Quote