Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
Lionsandtigers

Also pumpkin, my sighting was in the morning at about 10:20. Drive to that section of I-81. It is flat with slight depression on shoulder to all run off. Parts of the shoulder are very wide-I am not sure why. what I saw was a completely on the pavement so it was obvious. I did not look for scat or take pictures because I did not know it was that unusual--it was certainly nothing I could identify but I figured the sherif would tell me it was a ____ whatever, and that would be that. I did not anticipate people would doubt me nor that the sherif would later say it was gone before she got there-not that she would wait until her lunch hour to go look for it--nor that she would none have sent a crew to, if nothing else, simply remove it. Yesterday I saw a really gross sight. I was passing it on the same road I-81. It was very far from the road-in the median between the south and north bound I-81 traffic. It was the same color. It was a dear. Its head was jerked back in the wrong direction making it look pretty grotesque. It was further from the road and it was on a decline on the grass. Do you doubt I could see that much detail? How is it possible to be able to see that much going 65? Maybe it was not a deer at all. Maybe it was really a tree from mars that had landed by the road. Maybe there were martians there? Don't you want to question the veracity of my reports of the mangled deer? Could I have really seen all that detail at 65mph? YOu decide.
Lionsandtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #22
Lionsandtigers

This is what I had posted alsoIn November I was driving from Syracuse to Binghamton. It was around 10:30 am. Soon after I passed the Whitney Point exit, but well before Castle Creek, I saw a dead cat on the left shoulder of the road. This was a huge red cat. It was obviously dead but its face and body were intact. The face was rounded-a cross between a raccoon kind of face and a domestic cat.-sweet and round. It had a very long tail that had fur that was straight (not fuzzy or curly) and the tail was rope-like-curved to the front of the animal. The legs were long. The color was very close to the red you would see on a domestic red cat-solid color not spotted and not merely tan with redish tint-clearly orange red. I would say its back would have been about 2-3 feet off the ground had it been standing. It was thin and the fur on it was not fuzzy but short. I was traveling at 65mph and by the time I had processed what I saw it was too late to easily pull over. I was late too. I called the police (I think Castle Creek but can't recall-maybe Broome county sheriff- not sure.) and the dispatcher showed interest. She said she would have someone check it out. I called her later that day. She said she was so curious about it that she went herself during her lunch hour but by then it was gone. She said someone probably took it for the fur. Then she started listing the kind of animal it could have been.

Now, I know nothing about wild animals but was surprised by the animals she listed because they were the sort of animal I assumed existed only in places like africa (I've got the suburban NY-view of the world) or the zoo. I began to google the various animals she suggested to compare to what I saw. What I saw was clearly most similar to a mountain lion. But, the face was round and did not have the long muzzle that the pictures show. So, I think it was probably young-although the pictures of the young mountain lions suggest that they are not solid in color. Maybe there is an adolescent period when the body becomes solid color and the face is still round?

It was only after I looked at pictures of all kinds of animals that I started to read about Mountain lions in NY. I had no idea there was any controversy about whether they exist or not. (I add this because I have no vested interested in proving that they do or do not exist) I did not know they ever existed in NY. In fact, I would have been quite surprised to hear that they existed in this country at all..anywhere. So, when the dispatcher mentioned things like mountain lions and panthers I was very surprised. I posted a description of what I had seen on Topix in the hope someone else had seen it and could let me know what it was. All I got was a few snide comments. Then I started to google more seriously because it began to bother me that I could not figure this out. At that point I found this post "05-05-2011, 06:48 PM #1
Crokit
crokit

<image.php>

Mountain lion sighting
First, let me state that I have all my faculties, excellent eye sight, and am not given to exaggerations.

Today, while traveling south on Interstate 81, between Syracuse and Binghamton, I saw a Mountain Lion / Cougar/Panther, pick your noun. !! 100% positive, absolutely no doubt. There is ZERO chance that it was anything else. The only other thing it could have possibly been { other than a live mountain lion/cougar/panther } is a full body mount of a mountain lion/cougar/panther and someone pulling a prank. It was less than 100yds off the West side of the road, sitting on top of a section of rock/cliff that the highway had been cut through. It was sitting on it's haunches, leaning forward, ears forward, looking down onto/across the highway. It was about 30-40 feet above the highway. Just before the " Castle creek 1 mile " highway sign.
When I screamed " holy F%^K, a mountain lion, scaring the S#$T out my buddy who was driving almost lost control at 75 mph.

An absolutely beautiful animal, well muscled, excellent specimen. Up until now, when ever I've seen reports of sightings, I've taken them with a grain of salt. No more!

Anyone know of any other recent reported sightings in that area?

Wldnerness: Can you put me in touch with any of the state Dec/Rangers/etc from that area?"

And my post on Topix was as follows:

Justwondering
East Syracuse, NY
huge red fox, moutain lion or lynx on I-81 (S) near Castle Creek
Nov 9, 2011
Did any see a dead huge cat like animal on the southbound side of I-81 about a mile closer to Syracuse then the exit for Castle Creek. It was on the left lying an its side, obviously dead and huge. If you did see it, or heard someone else talking about it, what was it? It looked like it had a body like a mountain lion, a long tail with long fur-not bushy and a face that was rounder like a lynx.Its color was pretty uniformly red-not mixed or strips or anything like that. I was moving too fast and, once I had processed what I saw, I had gone too far to see it. Apparently someone picked it up, probably for its fur, because it was gone soon thereafter. I saw it at around 10:40am Tuesday morning. If you did not see it but are familiar with the wild life around there, any ideas? Any information would be appreciated. "

What do you think? These two sightings are at identical places. I do not believe that they are both mirages. Also, if the one I saw was young(I'dsay it was the size of a great dane-maybe a little shorter but thin like a dane rather than like a , say, St. Bernard) , it would not have been as visible to a driver on I-81 6 months earlier. The one I saw was not so big that it would have been very visible to drivers if it were on the top of a hill. That means that the one I saw could have been the adolescent offspring of the one seen by the earlier poster. If so, maybe there is a den nearby. I know exactly where I saw the dead animal so a wildlife person or ranger could easily investigate. If the other poster saw the parent in May and I saw a dead adolescent one in November I bet that there is one that has set up a residence in the area. Let me know what you think.

Also, just read a post elsewhere that someone in Tully saw one a few years back-Tully is about 30-40 minutes/miles from Whitney point-maybe a little further.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #23
Lionsandtigers

I'm so prolific! Will this count as peer reviewed?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #24
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

And I thought I was long winded...
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #25
Lionsandtigers

yup
Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #26
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Oh my!

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #27
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsandtigers View Post
I'm so prolific! Will this count as peer reviewed?
"Prolific"?

Margret Mitchell was Prolific.

Your post is about the same length as "Gone With the Wind", but less prolific or entertaining.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #28
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

I think it is certainly possible that big cat cougars have made their way to the Adirondacks or the outskirts, actually it's been proven that it can happen.

I'm curious to know if anyone looked for sign in that area. Although difficult to spot alive, cougar sign is very easy to find.

Now we have a spotting and a breeding pair. Can't wait to see what this develops into with a few more posts.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #29
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

I saw this guy in my living room this afternoon. I thought it was a juvenile wolf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0460.jpg (99.5 KB, 96 views)
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #30
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Turns out it was a Malamute puppy and it was just me being juvenile.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #31
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
And I thought I was long winded...
I doubt many here would dispute that statement, however you are always interesting and informative in your dissertations.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #32
Buckshot

I was driving north on 87. It was 8:40 p.m. last night (Friday). A quarter mile south of exit 29, there was a large cat--a lion--walking on the shoulder of the highway. This time my other half was awake, and she had a good look at it too. Second mountain lion sighting this year.