Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #61
gulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
There maybe more truth to that then you know.

There are thousands of visitors in the Black Hills every year where one of the largest ratio of cats to humans exist. Yet less then 1/10 of one percent ever see one.
But they're sure easy to find. 92 were killed in the Black Hills this winter. WY/SD halved the breeding population. Page 15:

http://www.easterncougar.org/newltr_...fnew_May11.pdf
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #62
rADK

http://naugatuck.patch.com/articles/...d-in-captivity

Quote:
In response to reporters’ questions DEP Biologist Paul Rego said there was no actual physical indication the animal was in captive. He said the male animal was not neutered, had no collar, was not declawed and was, through a “cursory examination,” a lean mountain lion. Rego noted that, more often, animals held in captivity or domestic situations are usually “out of shape.”

In fact, the primary reason why the DEP believe the animal is an escaped mountain lion is because no such animals are known to exist in Connecticut, Rego said.

“It is so far from a source population known to exist,” he said. “That is the most logical explanation.”

(Yes, very logical . )

Despite the fact that one animal has already been killed — and has been confirmed to likely be the same one previously sighted near Brunswick School in Greenwich — other mountain lion sightings continue to persist, even Monday morning.

Greenwich Police spokesman Lt. Kraig Gray said a sighting Sunday at a John Street residence in the backcountry section of northern Greenwich “was very credible. It was quite credible from five people from one family and they enjoyed enough time of viewing it to know what it was.”

The family reported watching the full-grown feline take two leaps to scale a 25-foot high retaining wall in the rear of their yard, according to Greenwich Emergency Management Director Dan Warzoha, a friend of the family who does not want to be identified.
rADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #63
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I think the real problems is that the "Experts" don't want their opinions to be confused with fact.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #64
Rainman

There was one confirmed last weekend killed by car in Milford, Conn. 140 lbs. They have been seeing one in Greenwich Ct for a few weeks. Who really keeps these as pets??
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #65
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
There was one confirmed last weekend killed by car in Milford, Conn. 140 lbs. They have been seeing one in Greenwich Ct for a few weeks. Who really keeps these as pets??
Who keeps mountain lions as pets:
http://www.exoticcatz.com/speciescougar.html

Photos:
http://www.google.com/search?q=mount...w=1550&bih=922

Not so cuddly:
http://www.cfz.org.uk/Archiving/ABC%208/

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1tih6dsjCg

Local (CT) reactions:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ca387271fdeb6a

Mountain Lion info:
http://www.aws.vcn.com/mountain_lion_fact_sheet.html
http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/urban_lion.shtml

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #66
murphymarrk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsdxy...yer_detailpage
murphymarrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #67
murphymarrk

Red Hawk,Not to stray too far,but i may be heading to Rapid City soon.Any recommendations on the Black Hills?If this gets redirected ok.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:22 PM   #68
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Sage creek campground in the badlands and a hike out of there through some bison herds and up along the table. Fantastic view you can see for miles.

Bear Butte in Sturgis.

Harney Peak & Sylvan Lake

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #69
murphymarrk

Thanks!I see free camping........Back to all those lions that are being released in the ADKS.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #70
adk
Adirondack Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
I think the real problems is that the "Experts" don't want their opinions to be confused with fact.
Very well said and great point...
Old 07-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #71
Greeneyezz
Syracuse OranZZe ROCKS!

The Post-Standard...

had just done an article about this, even quoting someone in this thread:

Wild cougar killed in Connecticut will likely spark Upstate sightings of big cats

165 lbs and more than 8 feet in length?...

~ZZ

(Click on Greeneyezz)

"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer
Greeneyezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #72
Lionsandtigers

I had not read this thread prior to posting the following in November on a different site:
Nov 9, 2011

Did any see a dead huge cat like animal on the southbound side of I-81 about a mile closer to Syracuse then the exit for Castle Creek. It was on the left lying an its side, obviously dead and huge. If you did see it, or heard someone else talking about it, what was it? It looked like it had a body like a mountain lion, a long tail with long fur-not bushy and a face that was rounder like a lynx.Its color was pretty uniformly red-not mixed or strips or anything like that. I was moving too fast and, once I had processed what I saw, I had gone too far to see it. Apparently someone picked it up, probably for its fur, because it was gone soon thereafter. I saw it at around 10:40am Tuesday morning. If you did not see it but are familiar with the wild life around there, any ideas? Any information would be appreciated.
Lionsandtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #73
Lionsandtigers

Well I am still waiting for someone to reply that they saw the same dead cat I did about 14 months ago. Now I wish I hadn't ever seen it because I wonder about it. I wish someone who lives near whitny pt or Castle Creek would wonder around in that area now because if there are cats there, the tracks would be left. I'd bet money on it!
Lionsandtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #74
rollinslover64

I drive through there about 3 times a week,every week,and never seen anything.Since the start of this thread I've been looking while on my way through that area.
rollinslover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #75
hevyn

I live in Cooperstown. I have just seen a large cat walk through the woods behind my house - it looked like a cougar or mountain lion. There's no way it could have been a large domestic cat or a dog. I hope I see it again, will definitely get a picture and post it. I was outside, and felt it better not to move until it walked away - so didn't try to grab my camera!

Searching for verification that there could possibly be one in this area, I did see a few forum posts where others claim to have had a sighting. We have dogs, and sometimes at night they go crazy barking at 'nothing' - and we've seen footprints in the snow around the house that don't belong to the dogs or our neighbors cat. Hmmm.
hevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #76
dpc34

had to be one around someplace...get a game camera
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #77
mgc

The one that I saw was just outside Schenevus. That's a hop and a skip from Cooperstown. Yes I did see it...yes I know what it was...yes I am 100% sure...yes I do know what a bobcat looks like...yes, I know that the DEC has concluded beyond any shadow of doubt that I did not see one etc.
Anyone that does not believe that there is a corridor that these cats roam through NYS is going to be quite surprised when they finally do see one although most never will.
Most hunters can attest that time spent patiently waiting in the right places provides the only opportunities to see some of the wildlife we are living with. The game cam is a real good idea.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #78
hevyn

Thank you, mgc - that made my day. We moved here from Ocean City, MD last year and I had no idea about the controversy regarding DEC and the sightings. I've just learned a lot in the past day. I must say I was really nervous last night, letting the dogs out. Especially after reading how cougars/mountain lions can leap very high and run at 50mph. There are many deer living in the woods behind us - probably what attracted the cat.
hevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #79
sleeping lion

If you check around you will find out that you are not the only one - people have been claiming to have seen a mountain lion in Cooperstown and the surrounding areas for years - and from my own observations I would not discredit them.
sleeping lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #80
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Pictures, please.