Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're going on a 7 day trip...What exactly do you bring for food and drink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're going on a 7 day trip...What exactly do you bring for food and drink?

You're going on a 7 day trip...What exactly do you bring for food and drink?

To me, dinner is most important, I want my stomach to be content lying down to go to sleep.

I'm the crazy guy willing to carry a jar of sauce for 2 days and have fancy Rana raviolis and tortellinis.

Night 3 I break out pasta, small cans of carrots and peas, a small jar of pesto, small cans of cooked chicken and I throw a weird meal together!

The remaining nights get tricky because of the inability to go crazy heavy and things not staying good if not perishable.

Just add water backpacking meals...I've been STARVING and unable to eat some of that garbage!

I need help with ideas!

I've managed to do it but I always think I'm doing it wrong and miss thinking of some obvious things.

Any suggestions - full meals...just add boiling water meals that you SWEAR are delicious! Anything...everything!

I think this and similar solutions have been offered to you before:

Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy, and Healthy Eating on the Trail
    by Linda Frederick Yaffe
    "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

If you are averse to dehydrating full meals as has been recommended, you can keep your same menu and dehydrate those jars and canned foods. You might find out how easy it is and never bring canned stuff again.
      "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

How about nutritious complete meal bars. Any of these food bars have complete nutrition and minimal preservatives? You have any favorites?

Comment

Originally posted by forest dweller View Post
          How about nutritious complete meal bars. Any of these food bars have complete nutrition and minimal preservatives? You have any favorites?
          I have never tried them. Closest for me is a snickers.
          "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

I'm like a billy goat, instant potatoes tonight, stuffing mix tomorrow. I'm all about breakfast, and lots of protein mix in the a.m. personally. A few slices of extra sharp cheddar cut off the block as soon as the pack comes off my back for the final time of the day is my treat.
            Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

Comment

Working...
            X