Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
Pauly D.

Trolling data with lead core for rainbow trout

Just wanted to share some stuff I've been experimenting with and get your opinions. I've been trolling SLOW with my Hornbeck using both 14# and 18# lead core line to get deeper during the heat. I found that the 18# is much more repeatable in terms of line-out versus running depth. Its a bit bigger but much heavier and I think it cuts through the current and thermocline better without "bellying". Depth is measured with a Fish Hawk temperature & depth gauge. The body of water is Moreau Lake near Saratoga. I have a #1 Wabbler at the end of a 12 foot leader.

Line out Depth
20 13
25 17
30 20
35 21
40 26
45 34
50 37
55 41
60 48

The thermocline is between 20-25 feet where the temperature drops from 75 to 65 degrees sharply.

Depth Temperature
0 80
5 80
10 79
15 77
20 75
25 65
30 58
35 52
40 50
45 48

From what I read Rainbow Trout like to be at temperatures between 55 - 60 degrees. I've found that if I fish at the these temperatures that I do much better than fishing at the bottom where the temperature is only 48 degrees. I used to think that trout always stay near the bottom where there is cover but I've been told that there is no oxygen near the bottom so they don't move around to feed.

Any thoughts? Do you guys fish at the bottom during the summer or try to fish near the thermocline?
Pauly D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:00 PM   #2
Brookie hunter

Thanks alot for all the time you put into this experiment. Its really helpful.
Ive been doing almost the same experiment but do not have nearly as much figured out yet.
Brookie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:42 PM   #3
Fly Rodder

Trolling data with lead core for rainbow trout

Always fish the preferred temps on Ontario, in the ADKs I'm only guessing though and still learning how to troll deeper (and effectively) with a canoe and minimal gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
EagleCrag

Interesting topic and data. I have found that rainbows can be found feeding at the surface of some lakes year round, even if the temperature is in the low 70's. Your results from fishing at their preferred temperature is interesting though. I'd be interesting to see/hear more as your study progresses. In regards to oxygen levels at the bottom, it depends upon whether the lake is classified as oligotrophic, mesotrophic, or eutrophic as each has different levels of oxygen in the water column. See http://rmbel.info/lake-trophic-states-2/ which provides a basic explanation, though you may already be aware of this.

I have heard that the water level in Moreau Lake is very low this year and may be due to a new development in the area that is utilizing the aquifer--unsure about that.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
EagleEd

Moreau Lake is at the lowest level I have ever seen in my almost 40 years of fishing there. Another factor of fishing Moreau is finding the several areas where springs feed the lake.
My best fishing for rainbows is in the Fall at the Northeast corner of the lake. I use a 9' rod to get enough swing to put my line out in front of the feeding rainbows. My best combination is using a torpedo cork attached to my swivel with another 6' of 2 Lb. test line beyond that, while floating a #16/#18 Adams or Mosquito Dry Fly. All you need to do is watch the surface for feeding rainbows and put the fly out in front of them. I have caught nice sized rainbows on the surface right up until the ice starts to form in early December.
Only problem is all the gates are closed and it is a good hike to the Northwest corner of the lake for a 78 yr. old. However, all rainbows caught are returned to the lake.
Noticed a number of people catching nice sized largemouths this year using larger minnows on a bobber. I'm more of a surface (3/16 oz. Hula Popper) fisherman when fishing for bass, but do have most of my luck early in the morning, on cloudy windless day or in the evening after 7pm.
Great to see the disposable line containers around the lake. Now I only wish the people using this beautiful lake would pick up all the garbage they leave.
Sad to see all the garbage/cans/bottles in the water when fishing the lake.

Eagle Ed

Last edited by EagleEd; 12-23-2015 at 01:59 PM..
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
58rover

this is interesting. There is a pond I fish every year for a week for lakers and salmon. I used to fish very deep and caught very few fish. I ran into a guy who told me to concentrate around 30' deep. Once I started to do this I started to catch fish more regularly. I troll with a 9wt, martin multiplier reel, lead line and a streamer.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
EagleCrag

Rover: Not sure how deep the lake is that you fish, but I suspect that the oxygen levels in the deeper portions are low--hence the fish suspend at a higher level. You may want to check with the DEC to see if they have data on the lake you fish. I know this is an issue on Upper Saranac Lake, particularly in the upper basin where there has been more pollutants. The Nature Conservancy is conducting a study of the effects of global warming on Lake Trout. One of the specific things they are looking at is the effect it has on oxygen levels in the deeper portions of the lakes. If you use a fish finder and never mark fish in the deeper sections, I believe that to be a good indicator. While I don't embrace everything the Nature Conservancy does, this study is interesting and can be viewed on their website.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #8
Hard Scrabble

In most Adirondack lakes, the thermocline is at about thirty feet.
In some lakes, like Lake George, the temperature devision may be a little deeper due to the clarity of the water.
Rainbows and Landlocked Salmon will use the entire water column, Brookies and Lake Trout seem to stay in their preferential temperatures.
Not to say that you may hook a Brook Trout in the evening at a remote pond.
You just never know.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
Fisheater

I fish the Lake Michigan and Lake Huron out of a canoe. I also fish a local inland lake with depths to 115 feet. I really do not mess with light weight leadcores. I run 27 lb , and I keep it to a three color. There is a different color every 30 ft (ten yards). I run a 20' to 30' fluorocarbon leader.
27 lb. leadcore core is supposed to run about 5 ft deep per color at 2 mph. A three color runs at 15 ft approximately. Paddling I run two rods. I will run the second rod either higher or deeper, so I am not worried if I have an exact depth. The fish will tell me where they are. Sometimes it can be difficult to get the leadcore out, especially in the wind. I like to use a small Hoochie Mama flasher (about 4") in about four feet in front of my spoon. I really only use leadcore for spoons or crawler harnesses for walleye.
When I want to run deeper than 15 feet, I let the core out, then attach a torpedo diver using an OR 16 clip.
I use the 4 ounce Torpedo Diver to depths of about 25 feet. That would be 25 feet for the Torpedo diver, or 40 feet for a 3-color and a Torpedo diver. I have up to the big 12 ounce Torpedo divers. I have caught 20 lb kings with Torpedo Divers with no difficulties. I have found the OR 16 clip to be very reliable.
If I was fishing for rainbows, I would probably employ small crankbaits like Reef Runner Little Rippers, Kwick Fish, or maybe even Rapalas. I run them at the depth I want to fish. Using either a linecounter reel or metered braid line I use snap weights to figure out how far back and how much weight to get to a certain depth. I really only play around like that to 30 or 35 feet, then it is always a flat running lure and a Topedo Diver. I will still run three colors in front of the TD if I am running spoons.
Good luck
Fisheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #10
ddancer

This may helpful Lead Core Depth Calculator
Https://play.google.com/store/search...%20core&c=apps
ddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #11
Hard Scrabble

I gave up lead core line back in the 70's and went to down riggers.
They enable us to troll at determined depths with light tackle.
Light tackle being the key word.
Jim
Old 12-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #12
ddancer

I have used both lead core and Down rigger at the same time and fine that lead core can be just as productive. At least with what I was using.
For me it's not always easy to find the cash, or a good place to mount the down rigger, but with a rigger you have more fun playing the fish. After selling a few boats along the way I have only one manual rigger left. I find myself using the Lead C. more because with my setup it's easier. Using the Lead C. App I have less guess work on line out, or I'd probably use the manual rigger more. Unlike a down rigger every time I change speed have to change amount of line out with LC. Never had the extra cash to get a high end electric rigger. I'm sure with the ion outputs and tracking features they do very well.
I'm sure you have a Great Set up.
Go Luck fishing
ddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:59 PM   #13
wellsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddancer View Post
I have used both lead core and Down rigger at the same time and fine that lead core can be just as productive. At least with what I was using.
For me it's not always easy to find the cash, or a good place to mount the down rigger, but with a rigger you have more fun playing the fish. After selling a few boats along the way I have only one manual rigger left. I find myself using the Lead C. more because with my setup it's easier. Using the Lead C. App I have less guess work on line out, or I'd probably use the manual rigger more. Unlike a down rigger every time I change speed have to change amount of line out with LC. Never had the extra cash to get a high end electric rigger. I'm sure with the ion outputs and tracking features they do very well.
I'm sure you have a Great Set up.
Go Luck fishing

I also use both at the same time and get results with both. I have found lead-core works well with worm harnesses and very light spoons.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
Hard Scrabble

I knew a few old timers who used wire line to deep troll for lake trout.
They rigged up an old record player with a spool to take up the wire line to avoid kinking it.
There may be some folks who remember this.
Jim
Old 12-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
EagleEd

Victrola Record Player Retrieve

I knew a guy from Gloversville who used this method on Lake George and had quite a bit of success. The copper/brass/silver spoons he used were very small and very thin, but he always brought home lakers/salmon.

Eagle Ed

P.S. No! It wasn't Eagle Crg.
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #16
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEd View Post
I knew a guy from Gloversville who used this method on Lake George and had quite a bit of success. The copper/brass/silver spoons he used were very small and very thin, but he always brought home lakers/salmon.

Eagle Ed

P.S. No! It wasn't Eagle Crg.
Eagle Ed,
The old time ADK Lake Trout fishermen used those paper thin "flutter" spoons.
Sometimes they'd tip them with a perch belly to add scent.
They'd use the old wind up record player box to take up slack wire line.
The last time I saw one used was by the caretaker (Gordon Bushie) at Taylor Pond.
Rest in Peace, Gordon.
Jim
Old 12-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #17
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
Eagle Ed,
The old time ADK Lake Trout fishermen used those paper thin "flutter" spoons.
Sometimes they'd tip them with a perch belly to add scent.
They'd use the old wind up record player box to take up slack wire line.
The last time I saw one used was by the caretaker (Gordon Bushie) at Taylor Pond.
Rest in Peace, Gordon.
Jim
Gordon Bushie, now there's a name from the past. I met him at Taylor Pond in 1985. I was in college at SUNY Plattsburgh and was looking for a place to hunt and that's where I wound up going a few times each fall in 1985, 86 & 87. I brought my parents there one time and he invited us in for coffee. I think he got a kick out of a couple of college kids wanting to hunt there.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #18
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Gordon Bushie, now there's a name from the past. I met him at Taylor Pond in 1985. I was in college at SUNY Plattsburgh and was looking for a place to hunt and that's where I wound up going a few times each fall in 1985, 86 & 87. I brought my parents there one time and he invited us in for coffee. I think he got a kick out of a couple of college kids wanting to hunt there.
Buck,
After a few years, Gordon accepted me as a friend.
Old time Adirondackers don't take that lightly.
I'll take that to my grave.
Jim
Old 11-26-2019, 06:38 AM   #19
deep250

Great Subject

Great subject you guys have brought up here since I troll out of my Radisson canoe with two fly rods with sinking lines and streamers, and sometimes fly cast with a fast sinking line. Generally the water is deprived of oxygen below the thermocline in the summer but the whole subject is confusing, even when I discuss it with biologists. Lake trout pretty much hug the bottom all year except when they spawn in the late fall, so there is evidently enough oxygen for that trout specie below the thermocline. Same with smelt. Plenty of oxygen can get trapped below the thermocline in some lakes depending on how the lake sets up and stratifies in early summer. Guys, get your self a Garmin Striker 4 fishfinder. For about $100 dollars if you see fish on the screen below the thermocline, then there HAS to be enough oxygen there. Simple. You can't identify fish species but a lot of the ADK lakes have trout species as the only predatory fish of any size. I use an old fishfinder that keeps on ticking. If it dies I'll buy that Garmin model which has a GPS and speedometer too.
deep250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:41 AM   #20
deep250

You use lead core, the typical 18 pound test?
deep250 is offline   Reply With Quote