Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Essex Chain Lakes

I just saw this in the morning paper...Timesunion article

Article says deal closed on Dec. 21, 2012, public access expected in the fall.

Am I the only one that is excited about this??! I have been eyeballing these waters since the '70's...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
ADK4ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post

Am I the only one that is excited about this??! I have been eyeballing these waters since the '70's...
You won't be disappointed!
ADK4ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

The article I saw on the purchase gave a date of Oct 1'st I believe, that is going to be one crowded body of water that day. I think I'll wait a couple weeks or until spring, but yes I'll have to check it out for sure.

John M. A Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Am I the only one that is excited about this??!
No.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Yankee View Post
The article I saw on the purchase gave a date of Oct 1'st I believe,
Yes, that is the agreement because that is when the hunting clubs' leases expire.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
nutmeg creeker

There must be a horde of paddlers waiting for the day!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
dpc34

anybody know for sure how far I will have to carry my Hornbeck to find water.....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
anybody know for sure how far I will have to carry my Hornbeck to find water.....
No, no one knows the answer ... least of which the state.

The public access points will depend largely on the proposed land classification. If the tract were designated Wild Forest, then DEC might consider allowing car access direct to one of the lakes. If the tract is designated Wilderness, then not only would cars be prohibited, but so would bikes.

Already there have been several competing proposals. Some of them have popped up as threads already on this forum.

My understanding is that the Gooley Club members currently access the property via a 3-mile-long road beginning near Goodnow Flow, and this figure is being used by some people to justify retaining the road for canoe access to the lakes. However, there are other, shorter ways to get there. My own study of topo maps of the area show there is another road along the periphery of the property that would allow the public to drive to within 1.5 miles of one of the lakes without the need to drive into the new Forest Preserve lands. The carry from the parking lot to the shore would then be along a closed road -- perhaps not the most visually stimulating experience, but it would be suitable for carts, and it would help keep the lakes a quieter destination.

But based on some of the proposals I've heard about so far for the overall designation of the tract (two of them complete opposites of one another) I expect this to be a contentious topic this year. The process will work like this: DEC makes a recommendation to APA, APA proposes a classification, the public gets to comment, the governor approves the APA's decision. However, the APA could theoretically postpone any classification action for several years, until the entire purchase is completed.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
hickoryskier
Dave

Quote:

I'm there!

The road from the Gooley Club looks like it passes over the Cedar River. Does anyone know if there's a bridge there?
hickoryskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
dpc34

no bridge, washed out years ago. That road is to the outer club..there are actually 2 separate Gooley Clubs with 2 different memberships..The main club is on 3rd lake(more$$$$)
Old 01-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
By my maps it looks like about a 500 ft carry and a handfull of beaver dams...
My route is already planned!!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
dpc34

I was a member for awhile, you must be talking about going in around 8th lake and work your way towards the other ponds, still not sure where you would park????
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
John P

Being unfamiliar with Essex Chain Lakes, I did a search on the name and found this article (among a lot of other info). It has more background and a map.

http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/st...gooleyclub.php
Old 01-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

I'm looking forward to the opportunity to paddle there, whatever the classification. There's some great paddling to be had in October.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

How about this? Put in at the swimming hole on the Cedar, paddle downstream all the way to the confluence with the Hudson, then down the Hudson to take out just before the Indian comes in. A little over 12 miles of fun, down river stuff, and a little under 7 miles back to the put in, an easy bicycle ride to avoid using an extra vehicle. Yeah, there's some bigger drops, but the area is riddled with old roads and maybe some informal carries.

Is it just me, or does the anticipation just make it better?!

Has anyone done this? Maybe some of you that have had access to the Gooley camps?

Here's a look...

Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
RichieC

Funny, I've been looking to do the very trip, well starting below the Rt 30 bridge. I did not want to run the big water in the Hudson below the Indian river, we have kevlar boats, and rock bouncing on those would be bad, . I had decided to take out and wheel out on the Gooley Club road that runs along the Indian, figuring, if anybody saw me, all they could do was ask me to leave, which I promptly would ;0)

I read there is a particularly attractive camp site where the Cedar enters the Hudson.

My options due to Cooley Club trespassing concerns, was a 2.? mi trail out to North WOods Club Road once you reach the Hudson Gorge, but people I asked said it would be a hand over hand climb out of there, and a difficult portage to follow. So I shelved the idea, now it looks like it will work!

I wonder if the Essex chain existing sites are all trashed up like the Whitney Park camp sites were from the campers when they were private. Every old site we looked at on Whitney had its own, well-used, dump and plastic and glass gobs in the fireplace... etc.

We took out what we could. Usually, the next people on on of our sites, finds our ashes, some left over wood, and nothing else. Mostly, that's how we find it, a testament to the quality of canoe campers in my experience, knowing its up to all of us to keep it nice.

This is why I think fees won't work as intended, people will figure the "maid service" will take care of it, and we'd all get to look forward to the constant visits from Rangers checking the status our various paperwork, and looking over our camp, etc.

Quote:
How about this? Put in at the swimming hole on the Cedar, paddle downstream all the way to the confluence with the Hudson, then down the Hudson to take out just before the Indian comes in. A little over 12 miles of fun, down river stuff, and a little under 7 miles back to the put in, an easy bicycle ride to avoid using an extra vehicle. Yeah, there's some bigger drops, but the area is riddled with old roads and maybe some informal carries.

Has anyone done this? Maybe some of you that have had access to the Gooley camps?

Here's a look...

RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
Bill I.

Quote:
By my maps it looks like about a 500 ft carry and a handfull of beaver dams...
My route is already planned!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
I'm looking forward to the opportunity to paddle there, whatever the classification. There's some great paddling to be had in October.
Quote:

This is why I'm completely baffled by the people who want road access directly to the lakes, as if access is impossible without it. Does the lack of direct motor vehicle access to Lake Lila, Lows Lake, or St. Regis Pond diminish the popularity of those places? Hardly! If anything, it enhances the appeal that there are no roads leading to the shores -- or at least no public roads. Even if the public could drive no further than the boundary of this new parcel, the Essex Chain is hardly remote. If you have to walk a bit to get there or wheel a cart, then that adds to the mystique of the place.

After all, these lands and waters are being added to the Forest Preserve, not the Road Preserve.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
cgill

Float planes?

i hope they don't allow float planes
cgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
RichieC

No, without ever reading or officially hearing about what the intention of .6 to .9 carries to bodies of water that obviously have road access past a gate or whatever, ( Lake Lila, Hutchinson, Little Long Lake, St. Regis Pond canoe area... etc, etc. ) it was always abundantly clear the sort of people such a barrier discourages. And as such I have embraced the idea wholeheartedly.

That being said, if some way of allowing disabled people through such gates would be workable, I'd certainly be for that.

I remember camping on lower Saranac, the sunrise was spectacular. I was sipping my coffee and watching the sky change over the lake and the distant, seemingly wilderness, shore... when I heard the distinctive, and normally pleasing, rumble of a Harley approach from the distant left and grow louder directly across from me and continue on for sometime off in the distance, toward Tupper, to the right.

Ruined it for me. I like Harley's, but they should be as quiet as they come from the factory- no straight pipes..., especially at 4:30 in the morning... I'd love to find the guys house and leave my sons stereo on at window rattle level ( it does do this!) right outside house one night. See how that would go over.

Roads should be kept as far away as possible from lakes for both these reasons!

LOL
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
spidennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieC View Post
when I heard the distinctive, and normally pleasing, rumble of a Harley approach from the distant left and grow louder directly across from me and continue on for sometime off in the distance, toward Tupper, to the right.

Ruined it for me. I like Harley's, but they should be as quiet as they come from the factory- no straight pipes..., especially at 4:30 in the morning... I'd love to find the guys house and leave my sons stereo on at window rattle level ( it does do this!) right outside house one night. See how that would go over.

Roads should be kept as far away as possible from lakes for both these reasons!

LOL
I'm an offroad enduro motorcycle racer, we quiet our bikes as much as possible, have sound checks before the event to make sure. We try not to piss off anyone but Harley riders are the opposite and it really irks me.

I'm thinking bicycles in is ok, but keep the motor vehicles out.

spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote