Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
cityboy

DEC- "bigfoot doesn't exist"

It's official now.

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/a...ll-good-mambo/
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
dundee

"bigfoot doesn't exist".

Oh, crap! Are they serious? I was hoping to see one, along with Elvis, Martians, Jimmy Hoffa, Santa Claus & Robin Hood.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
wiiawiwb

I guess the DEC isn't aware of DNA results, currently under peer review, which they claim will confirm the existence of Sasquatch. It is a "novel hominin hybrid species" and a human relative.

We'll await the final peer-reviewed report and see.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/11/prweb10166775.htm

Last edited by wiiawiwb; 11-25-2012 at 11:44 AM..
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
cityboy

wiiawiwb, as of today it has not yet been picked up in mainstream press and that does not bode well.
Reading her statement it appears she is stating it is a cross between an unknown species male and a female human that occurred roughly 15,000 years ago. Sounds dubious to me although I will admit I've seen some girls with rather dubious choices for mates. I think Meldrums apelike creature is more likely.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Sasquatch is one foot ahead of DEC
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1207714
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Neil
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
This picture proves beyond a doubt that Bigfoot exists.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
This picture proves beyond a doubt that Bigfoot exists.
If couldn't possibly be anything other than
An owl? (what a silly idea )
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
dpc34

Another pot to put the spoon in......great, a new adventure.....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
wiiawiwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
wiiawiwb, as of today it has not yet been picked up in mainstream press and that does not bode well.
Reading her statement it appears she is stating it is a cross between an unknown species male and a female human that occurred roughly 15,000 years ago. Sounds dubious to me although I will admit I've seen some girls with rather dubious choices for mates. I think Meldrums apelike creature is more likely.
It's a no-win situation for the MMP at this point. Having said that, either Dr. Ketchum's genome sequencing has confirmed the existence of a novel hominin hybrid species, and in the process followed proper protocol, or it hasn't.

As I understand it, the peer-review process would not change the results, whatsoever, but would lend credibility to the scientific process used to produce those results.

It's a wait-and-see game at this point.

If her results stand muster, it obviously blows the whole Gigantopithecus theory sky high. Frankly, it makes more sense to me to for Sasquatch to be a human/near human, rather than something more akin to GP, because it would explain a lot about how they've mastered their environment in such a clandestine manner.

Last edited by wiiawiwb; 11-26-2012 at 08:38 PM..
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
ADKHUNTER

Looks like a guy in a bad gillie suit.

Ed
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Neil
Admin

Quote:
A team of scientists can verify that their 5-year long DNA study, currently under peer-review, confirms the existence of a novel hominin hybrid species, commonly called “Bigfoot” or “Sasquatch,” living in North America. Researchers’ extensive DNA sequencing suggests that the legendary Sasquatch is a human relative that arose approximately 15,000 years ago as a hybrid cross of modern Homo sapiens with an unknown primate species.
LOL! If they interbred the unknown primate species is obviously Homo sapiens jokemus
Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
cityboy

Neil, as a father of two girls I can attest that sometimes I find their choices in boys baffling.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
Neil
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Neil, as a father of two girls I can attest that sometimes I find their choices in boys baffling.
Can any of them communicate using words with more than one syllable?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
cityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
LOL! If they interbred the unknown primate species is obviously Homo sapiens jokemus
What she is proposing (interbreeding) has happened before. The Denisova hominin was even less similar to modern humans than Neanderthals.

"According to recent genetic studies, modern humans may have mated with "at least two groups" of ancient humans: Neanderthals and Denisovans. Genetic study indicates approximately 4% of the DNA of non-African modern humans is the same as that found in Neanderthals, suggesting interbreeding. Tests comparing the Denisova hominin genome with those of six modern humans: a ǃKung from South Africa, a Nigerian, a Frenchman, a Papua New Guinean, a Bougainville Islander and a Han Chinese showed between 4% and 6% of the genome of Melanesians (represented by the Papua New Guinean and Bougainville Islander) derives from a Denisovan population. This DNA was possibly introduced during the early migration to Melanesia."
Old 11-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
cityboy

Just made FOX news.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
Neil
Admin

If they interbred that puts them all into the same species I would think.

Quote:
Yet the new genetic analysis does support the hypothesis that Neandertals and Denisovans were more closely related to one another than either was to modern humans. The analysis suggests that the modern human line diverged from what would become the Denisovan line as long as 700,000 years ago—but possibly as recently as 170,000 years ago.
Interesting stuff. To me it supports the candelabra theory more than "out of Africa". One gets the impression of ancestral Homo sapiens populations (not species) separating for long periods and becoming genetically distinct but not so much so as to prevent interbreeding upon contact. Back in those good old days the climate changed a lot which resulted in populations moving about. (spreading more important perhaps than migrating) Many groups or populations didn't make it. Well, I guess only one did, and they became your daughters' boyfriends.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
riverstrider
Sir Rhosis of the River

Regarding the bounty offered by Spike TV, I liked this quote:

“I don’t agree with that approach,” Wiemer said. “I’m trying to prevent Bigfoots in New York State … from being shot.”

How about shooting people? My first thought was that such a bounty offered would get some big, tall dude shot. Although I spend a lot of time in the woods, I am fortunately pretty short, lol!

-rs
Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
cityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverstrider View Post
Regarding the bounty offered by Spike TV, I liked this quote:

“I don’t agree with that approach,” Wiemer said. “I’m trying to prevent Bigfoots in New York State … from being shot.”

How about shooting people? My first thought was that such a bounty offered would get some big, tall dude shot. Although I spend a lot of time in the woods, I am fortunately pretty short, lol!

-rs
I've always believed that when it comes to Bigfoot there should be a "stand your ground defense". This would eliminate a lot of the hoaxes and hoaxers.

One of the most believeable sightings in NY was in Whitehall. It involved a police officer who actually drew his gun. If that was a hoaxer he was pretty brave.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #19
Loopin for the Lama

From MSNBC....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49980829...ience-science/

Some good points brought up..

Because Ketchum has released no information at all about her findings (nor have they been examined by outside experts), it's impossible to evaluate the validity of her conclusions. But an important clue can be found in her statement that "Sasquatch mtDNA is identical to modern Homo sapiens."

If the mitochontrial DNA is identical to Homo sapiens (i.e., modern humans), then this suggests one of two options. The first, endorsed by Ketchum, is that Bigfoot ancestors had sex with women about 15,000 years ago and created a half-human hybrid species currently hiding across North America.

There is, however, another, simpler interpretation of such results: The samples were contaminated. Whatever the sample originally was — Bigfoot, bear, human or something else — it's possible that the people who collected and handled the specimens accidentally introduced their DNA into the sample, which can easily occur with something as innocent as a spit, sneeze or cough. No one outside of Ketchum's team knows how this alleged Bigfoot DNA was collected, from where or by whom. It could have been collected by the world's top forensics experts, or by a pair of amateur Bigfoot buffs with no evidence-gathering training.

How did the team definitively determine that the samples were from a Bigfoot? Did they take a blood or saliva sample from a living Bigfoot ? If so, how did they get that close, and why didn't they simply capture it or photograph it? If the samples were found in the wild, how do they know it wasn't left by another animal — or possibly even a hunter, hiker or camper who left human genetic material?

Previous alleged Bigfoot samples subjected to DNA analysis have been deemed "unknown" or "unidentified." However, "unknown" or "unidentified" results do not mean "Bigfoot." There are many reasons why a DNA sample might come back unknown, including that it was contaminated or too degraded by environmental conditions. Or it could simply mean that the animal it came from was not among the reference samples that the laboratory used for comparison. There is no reference sample of Bigfoot DNA to compare it with, so by definition, there cannot be a conclusive match.

Ketchum also issued a statement requesting that the U.S. government immediately recognize Bigfoot as "an indigenous people and immediately protect their human and Constitutional rights against those who would see in their physical and cultural differences a 'license' to hunt, trap, or kill them." Since no Bigfoot has ever been hunted, trapped or killed, it's not clear that the creatures — if they exist — require any special federal protection.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #20
cityboy

I also read an accusation that Ms Ketchum is in the process of either a book or film so there may be an ulterior motive behind her study.

In any event, even if legit it won't be accepted until someone also comes up with a successful DNA study. It would be HUGE news though.