Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
geogymn

Decipher an anomaly

I hope this will display.... Can anyone figure out the discoloration in this satellite image (center)? New beaver meadow in the making?

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.41378,-75.02842&z=15&t=S
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.41403,-75.02838&z=14&t=S
Old 10-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

If you zoom in on it, you can get a much clearer image: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.41350,...%20County%20NY

I'd say that a new beaver pond is a good bet- looks like lots of recently killed trees (presumably due to the rising water). Also, if you switch to the topographic map tab, you can see that the topo map shows a swamp in that area: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.41350,...%20County%20NY
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
fisher39

Yep - a new beaver pond that killed the trees and has since drained is my guess. It looks like it must have been on a very minor stream that the beavers haven't bothered with in the past.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
WillisB

Given the downed trees, I would guess that this is the result of a microburst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microburst

There is a picture in the above article that closely resembles what we see in your satellite image.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillisB View Post
Given the downed trees, I would guess that this is the result of a microburst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microburst

There is a picture in the above article that closely resembles what we see in your satellite image.
That would explain downed trees, but it doesn't explain standing dead trees. I'm sticking with beaver pond.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
geogymn

The downed trees do seem baffling. Not only are they down but they look delimbed? I might have to go take a closer look.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Wldrns

The downed trees around the perimeter seem to have a random orientation. A microburst would align them all with the same orientation. The area seems way too small and isolated to be a microburst. Although near the center of the area many appear to be aligned west to east, that could be simply due to normal prevailing wind direction blowing them down over time. The topo map shows a wooded marsh in a drainage surrounded by low hills, which could contain a failed beaver pond.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marsh.jpg (54.6 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg random.jpg (45.2 KB, 105 views)
Old 10-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
The downed trees do seem baffling. Not only are they down but they look delimbed? I might have to go take a closer look.
At last check, the start of the Forty Mountain Trail was emphatically posted against public access by the private landowner. Only a small section of trail is on private land, but it's just enough to block access. The nearest state land access points are on Farr Road and Jim Rose Road; the latter involves crossing Little Black Creek.

Also, I was looking at additional views on http://aprgis.org/argis/, and it looked like a spruce swamp that may have been flooded for a brief time--just enough to kill the trees. I thought it was strange that the outlet could not be viewed. I would think beavers damming such an odd location would build a series of dams, not just the one.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Sapien
outlander

spotted another one just east of there at 43.418797, -74.866145

it's interesting to look at them in Google Earth and use the Historical Imagery view to see how they change over time.
Sapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
geogymn

[QUOTE=Bill I.;192691]At last check, the start of the Forty Mountain Trail was emphatically posted against public access by the private landowner. Only a small section of trail is on private land, but it's just enough to block access. The nearest state land access points are on Farr Road and Jim Rose Road; the latter involves crossing Little Black Creek.

QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up but I am familiar with said area. I've also had a run in with said private landowner who is "emphatic" to say the least and from whats been told to me doesn't own the small section of private land blocking access to the Forty Mt. trail. But I digress, I am heading in today for 4 or 5 nights as been my tradition for at least a decade. I am going to try to make my way over that way and check things out.
By the way I am so looking forward to the new release of DSWA guide.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien View Post
spotted another one just east of there at 43.418797, -74.866145

it's interesting to look at them in Google Earth and use the Historical Imagery view to see how they change over time.
Yes your right, the view in 2009 is quite telling. Thanks
Old 10-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
By the way I am so looking forward to the new release of DSWA guide.
Yeah, I've got to get my butt in gear on that one. It's pretty much all written (new historical information, a few new routes, etc.), all but one of the page maps are complete, a new cover design is in progress. Index and references yet to go. So close, yet so far! I've been working on it since February, seriously expected to have it done over the summer so that I could start the next book. Too many long days at work, so it's WRP that suffers.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote