Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #21
EarthBound
JeepGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
I'm an offroad enduro motorcycle racer, we quiet our bikes as much as possible, have sound checks before the event to make sure. We try not to piss off anyone but Harley riders are the opposite and it really irks me.

I'm thinking bicycles in is ok, but keep the motor vehicles out.
Yay Bikes! Just saying.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #22
fisher39

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
Yay Bikes! Just saying.
Unfortunately bikes get lumped in with motorized vehicles when it comes to the classifications - they aren't allowed in Wilderness areas. .

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if a road is open to bikes, it will also be open to cars and trucks.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #23
adkeditor

I don't think that's the law. The road to Hitchins Pond is open to mountain bikes but not motor vehicles.

DEC tells me the road to the Goodnow confluence will be open. The takeout will be at a bridge just downriver from the river's mouth.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #24
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher39 View Post
Unfortunately bikes get lumped in with motorized vehicles when it comes to the classifications - they aren't allowed in Wilderness areas. .

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if a road is open to bikes, it will also be open to cars and trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkeditor View Post
I don't think that's the law. The road to Hitchins Pond is open to mountain bikes but not motor vehicles.
Same with the road into Newcomb Lake, I believe.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #25
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Wilderness classification prohibits mechanized devices(such as motor vehicles, chain saws, bicycles). The road to Camp Santanoni is not classified as wilderness; likewise the camp. The road to Hitchens Pond is used by motor vehicles, as well.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #26
KeanGrad

I tend to agree Bill, allowing vehicles to get close increases the human impact and therefore lowers the serenity. I prefer the idea that to access the water you may have to walk a bit.
KeanGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #27
adkeditor

Bob, I am referring to the dirt road that approaches Hitchins Pond from the north. It is gated. DEC might use it to access a sandpit.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #28
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkeditor View Post
Bob, I am referring to the dirt road that approaches Hitchins Pond from the north. It is gated. DEC might use it to access a sandpit.
Phil, the roads you cited as examples (including Hitchins Pond) are not part of designated Wilderness Areas. Because of that, DEC has the discretion to allow bikes.

The statement that bikes are not allowed in a designated Wilderness is correct.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote