Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
fisher39

If your dog is going to be off-leash where there might be traps, familiarizing yourself with leg hold traps would be a very good idea so you can quickly get your dog out of it. What attracts a coyote is sure to attract a dog.

They probably aren't going to cause any real physical harm, but there's no doubt that getting caught in one would startle and stress your dog.

The quicker you release your freaked out dog the better, and I'd hate to have to learn how the thing works when my beloved pet is caught in one.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
mphilli2

Once one of my dogs was caught in a fox trap while we hunted grouse. And I once released a neighbor's dog from someone's fox trap set a quarter mile or so from the neighbor's house; turned out the dog had been missing for 12 hours. Both dogs were relased without fractures, but the neigbor's dog developed an infection that was then treated successfully.

I trapped when I was a boy, and while it was rare for an animal's leg to be broken by a trap, it happened once in a while.
mphilli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #23
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilli2 View Post
Once one of my dogs was caught in a fox trap while we hunted grouse. And I once released a neighbor's dog from someone's fox trap set a quarter mile or so from the neighbor's house; turned out the dog had been missing for 12 hours. Both dogs were relased without fractures, but the neigbor's dog developed an infection that was then treated successfully.

I trapped when I was a boy, and while it was rare for an animal's leg to be broken by a trap, it happened once in a while.

It's not like it used to be when we simply grabbed some mix-match traps out of Grandpa's shed and set them wherever for whatever.

Trappers have so many more tools and methods than back when I was a kid. All new trappers are required to go through an 8-hr. training course before they receive their license. There's a lot of emphasis on regulations, proper use and sizes of traps, anchoring systems, baits and lures; humane treatment of captured animals and proper dispatch methods; conservation of resources; avoiding non-targets/incidentals and releasing unwanted catches; public and landowner relations; etc.

There are many publications and articles for modern trappers, not to mention on-line trappers forums like Trapperman or NY Trappers Forum. There are plenty of organizations too like NYSTA and NTA that promote modern methods and technological advances and legislative updates. Most trappers are happy to mentor new trappers to promote the sport and foster interest and appreciation for wildlife and the outdoors.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #24
wellsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
I don't worry about the dog getting caught, he is a hunter by nature, he needs to understand what's right and wrong. He's a bigger danger to himself with the speed and strength he using going through the woods or fields than probably any trap If he were to be caught by a trap I'd be close by to help at least where leg hold traps are used.

As kids (70's) our neighbors were trappers and i have several friends that trap today. I don't have a problem with trappers, rather the opposite.
I was wondering how a set was made that did not entice a dog.
Sets made with bait are more likely to attract dogs. In areas where I know there are dogs near I would not use bait. Lures and urine and the proper location will catch just as many coyotes as bait will. A beaver carcass or deer carcass will attract the coyotes and dogs to an area. A dog will come straight in where the coyotes are likely to circle. Lure or urine away from the carcass will have the coyotes checking it out. So the traps are set away from the carcass and near a vantage point that the coyotes will go to check the carcass out from.

As far as staying out of the woods for fear of a trapper in the area, please don't the woods belong to all of us. No one should be afraid of enjoying adirondacks at anytime of the year. It's to special of a place and I think there is room for all of us.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #25
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

I found these quick videos on setting and releasing both #1 1/2 longspring trap and #3 coil spring trap. These are common size traps used in NYS. Bigger is not better with traps.Both traps work the same way,pushing the lever down releases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vY685JIfY0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpu-EPStTVg

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Last edited by chairrock; 12-12-2012 at 09:58 AM..
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #26
Huginn og Muninn

One of my dogs was caught in a jump trap (foot hold) in early November. He was very scared and screeching for about 30 seconds while I tied my bird dog puppy before going to him. At first I thought he had gotten into a porcupine. Luckily, it was my older dog and I was close to him and able to release him easily with no physical harm done.

I wasn't terribly upset, but the trap wasn't tagged which made me wonder if there was an unethical trapper in the area, which made me wonder what else I could run into, such as the possibility of a dangerous ungaurded Conibear land set. So I reported it to a local Encon officer, who was professional and investigated. He said he knew who the trapper was because of the set up and that he was also able to find a few other of this trappers sets, which were tagged. The officer deemed the set legal. I didn't really disagree and can believe that a tag falls off one of many traps someone is trying to manage.

What I did disagree with was where this trap was set. It was only about 20 yards off a public wildlife management area access road and was a baited set with an attractor feather. Of course, any dog is going right there. This trapper was lucky it was my dog that was caught (not being an anti-trapper) and that I know something about trapping and how to release them. This is an area where pheasants were released the week before and this was published in the paper. Also, I know a few non-hunters who walk their dogs in this area since it is one of the few places around where you can let them off leash. If one of their dogs was caught and they couldn't get their dog out, it probably would have made the paper too and given trappers another black eye or worse.

Most of the trappers in this area that I run into put many, many miles in-both on their vehicles and walking, sometimes dragging a sled onto the ice. They work really hard and I respect them a lot and think it is important to keep trapping alive for many reasons. This set, in my opinion, was a set of convenience that could be checked almost from the comfort of ones vehicle. Due to this particular land being public, stocked with pheasants, having good grouse hunting and also being used by the non-hunting public, I hope this trapper chooses to relocate his coyote or fox sets.
Huginn og Muninn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #27
mphilli2

"It's not like it used to be when we simply grabbed some mix-match traps out of Grandpa's shed and set them wherever for whatever."

St. Regis, you're right, young trappers are better trained or educated these days. Nonetheless, since they are young, they don't always apply what they are taught.

And as a boy I wasn't using traps of the wrong size, nor did I set them "wherever for whatever," but two or three animals did end up with broken legs during my years of trapping. Perhaps I was doing something else wrong or perhaps modern traps are less likely to break legs--I don't know--but to me it seems possible that an animal suddenly caught by a trap might in its terror react in such a way, while its leg is gripped in the trap, that the leg could break even though the closing of the trap did not cause the fracture. Rare, maybe, but possible.

Anyhow, I think we can agree that spending 20 hours or so in a trap wouldn't be pleasant.

I no longer trap, but I do hunt and fish. I am a careful hunter, but over the years I have wounded a few animals. For example, I hunt with a bow and never make a shot longer than 20 yards, but I did once gut-shoot a deer that I did not manage to recover. It's suffering must have been horrible.

Granted, the suffering that hunters and trappers cause to animals is less than the cyle of nature causes them. Granted, I indirectly contibute to more damage to nature by buying a pound of bread than I do by eating a pound of venison.

So this is not an anti-trapping or anti-hunting post: I'm trying to be realistic, is all.

As to the question way back at the beginning of this thead, how to avoid traps, my only, and probably not useful suggestion, is that someone worried about traps might learn about the various sets that trappers use and look for signs of such sets.
mphilli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #28
turtles11756@yahoo.c

best way to stay away from traps is to find them pull them then bury them. i find my dog in a leg trap the trapper is gonna be walking into a trap himself !
turtles11756@yahoo.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #29
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtles11756@yahoo.c View Post
best way to stay away from traps is to find them pull them then bury them. i find my dog in a leg trap the trapper is gonna be walking into a trap himself !
And you could be going to jail. Granted I don't want to see any dog in a trap of any kind but the law is the law. It is not leagle to touch anyones traps. Kind of like a trapper finding your things in a camping spot and taking it. Not a good idea.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #30
Alpine1

Quote:
This is a disturbing statement! Remember a trapper usually arms himself due to the nature of his sport, I'd be very cautious about those kids of statements. I'm not a trapper either! I hike and hunt with my dog(s) and am ready to accept the consequence if one of them were to step in a trap!
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #31
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsley View Post
Yes I'm familiar with coyote trapping and never caught a dog while trapping coyotes. In my early days of fox trapping I caught a few dogs until I learned how to avoid them. I've caught a total of three dogs in the 10 plus years I trapped. All three dogs were release unharmed no broken bones no chewed paws. Two of the dogs had collars and I notified the owners. One of those dogs was 5 miles from its home the other was 2 miles. Both dogs were running free and not [e]ngaged in some type of hunting or training, which by the way is not legal on lands inhabited by deer. I worried more about people than pets. If I do my job the chances of me catching your dog are slim. But the human factor is if some people think there is a trapper in the area they start looking for the traps and contaminate the whole area. As said in a later post the leg hold trap really is a foot hold trap. Some are actually caught by a toe. Regardless of what they are caught by no one wants to catch your pet.

This is disturbing too (see bold), as much hot air gets thrown around about how dangerous trapping is to pets, folks see nothing wrong with letting their dogs out for days to run wild. At the end of the day we are supposed to share the park, everyone shouldn't be subjected to poor dog ownership practices. Which seems much more common than any trapping incident.

So long story short:
Keep your dog nearby and under control and you should not have a problem.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #32
azimuth

Quote:
Yes, that will definately get you a ticket.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #33
Limekiln

Quote:
That's one of the most ignorant statements I've seen in a while. For one, tampering with a legally placed trap is against the law. For two, trappers have just as much of a right to use the woods and waters of the Adirondacks as you do. And lastly, posting physical threats on the internet is childish.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #34
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiln View Post
That's one of the most ignorant statements I've seen in a while. For one, tampering with a legally placed trap is against the law. For two, trappers have just as much of a right to use the woods and waters of the Adirondacks as you do. And lastly, posting physical threats on the internet is childish.
Specially when someone is stupid enough to use an email address for a username.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #35
Holdstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
So long story short:
Keep your dog nearby and under control and you should not have a problem.
Well, to be fair, dogs that are 2 to 5 miles away from their homes are not the only ones who can fall victim to a trap. I've heard plenty of stories of dogs getting caught when they wander down to get a drink from a stream or take a dip in a beaver pond, all while being no farther from their owners than a few dozen feet.

Scary stuff.
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:17 AM   #36
Huginn og Muninn

My dog was about 30 yards from me when he was caught this fall. It can and does happen without the dog ranging out of control. It has happened to me twice in my life and both times I was able to release my dog unharmed. The fact that this has happened to me twice does not keep me from bird hunting with a dog. I am as concerned about encountering a porcupine, coyotes or having my dog fall through the ice out of reach.

Re: turtles11756... Anonymity on the internet is really something. Most of us try to say something intelligent and never write anything down that we wouldn't be willing to say to someone in person.
Huginn og Muninn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #37
adkman12986

I thought that this posting would lead to a big war. I am glad to see that both sides have for the most part realized that each has the same rights as the others to use this land. Granted there will be some on each side that think that they shouldn't have to put up with someone trapping or a dog walking in a trap line but responsibility is the key here.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #38
ADKHUNTER

Just dug this up

Environmental Conservation Law. Chapter 43-B Of the Consolidated Laws. Article 11. Fish and Wildlife. Title 9. Hunting.
11-0901. Prohibitions

11-0923. Dogs

1. No owner or trainer of a dog shall:

a. allow it to hunt deer, or to run at large on enclosed lands on which wildlife or domestic game is possessed under license issued pursuant to the Fish and Wildlife Law or in any state park, state park reservation, state-owned game farm or wildlife refuge or state-owned or leased wildlife management area;

b. allow it to run at large in fields or woods inhabited by deer outside the limits of any city or village, except on lands actually farmed or cultivated by the owner or trainer of the dog or a tenant of such owner or trainer.

New York State law requires that dogs be "adequately restrained" when off an individuals property. I don't know if a well behaved/trained dog is considered "adequately restrained" but if push came to shove I would doubt it. It appears to me the conservation law is pretty clear and I'd bet it can be applied year round not just during hunting season.
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #39
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKHUNTER View Post
Just dug this up

Environmental Conservation Law. Chapter 43-B Of the Consolidated Laws. Article 11. Fish and Wildlife. Title 9. Hunting.
11-0901. Prohibitions

11-0923. Dogs

1. No owner or trainer of a dog shall:

a. allow it to hunt deer, or to run at large on enclosed lands on which wildlife or domestic game is possessed under license issued pursuant to the Fish and Wildlife Law or in any state park, state park reservation, state-owned game farm or wildlife refuge or state-owned or leased wildlife management area;

b. allow it to run at large in fields or woods inhabited by deer outside the limits of any city or village, except on lands actually farmed or cultivated by the owner or trainer of the dog or a tenant of such owner or trainer.

New York State law requires that dogs be "adequately restrained" when off an individuals property. I don't know if a well behaved/trained dog is considered "adequately restrained" but if push came to shove I would doubt it. It appears to me the conservation law is pretty clear and I'd bet it can be applied year round not just during hunting season.
Interesting, wonder how the law would be enforced where it concerned a rabbit hunter and his hound(s). Of course if the dog were chasing deer it would be a clear cut case but to be effective hounds usually range pretty far!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #40
adkman12986

I do believe there exceptione like any other laws for hunting such as birds and rabbits, as long as they are in season.