Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #21
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher39 View Post
There's not much other than twigs and spruce needles in the pockets of bushwhacking wilderness idealists - the money is in the middle.
You are wrong, and nothing need more be said. Speaking for myself, where I spend my money before or after a hike in the Adirondacks is no one's business. Just because I don't wear a flashing neon sign announcing myself as a hiker when I stop at a restaurant or store doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #22
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill I. View Post
You are wrong, and nothing need more be said. Speaking for myself, where I spend my money before or after a hike in the Adirondacks is no one's business. Just because I don't wear a flashing neon sign announcing myself as a hiker when I stop at a restaurant or store doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
I don't think fisher was referring to individuals with his "bushwacking wilderness idealists" comment. Lets face it- spending time off trail deep in some remote corner of the forest preserve is without a doubt a "fringe" activity when it comes to recreational use of the Adirondacks. Much of what ADKForum members do (hundred highest, lean-to challenge, 3,000 footers, etc) clearly does not put us in the majority in terms of how the public uses the woods.

That's not to say that the general public can't or won't value true wilderness if it doesn't fit within their scope of how they recreate. There are other ways to value wild areas besides how we use them for recreation. Environmental benefits are important, and it's pretty clear that members of the public can and do value the intrinsic benefits of having preserved wilderness, even if they never go there.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #23
fisher39

Bill, my twigs and spruce needles comment was supposed to be funny! It came to mind after I dumped all sorts of debris from a weekend bushwhack onto my bedroom floor.

I just don't think there are enough hardcore bushwhacking wilderness idealists out there to lobby the DEC and send their money to the groups that shape the policy such as PROTECT! Most members of the public want relatively easy access to what they feel are their recreational resources, which are supposed to generate pleasure and revenue for the general public. I strongly disagree with this view, but this is how our leaders are selling these deals and making the case for "protecting" wild areas.

I think PROTECT! realized there aren't many supporters on the periphery and that's why they've taken the apparent hard turn towards the center with a map designed to provide a little something for everyone.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #24
Bill I.

Well, then I apologize for misreading the comment. But make no mistake, a lot of what I don in the Forest Preserve might be considered "fringe," but my money spends just as well in town. On the 18th of this month, after camping out in 16-degree weather, I stopped at a family-owned bar/restaurant in the central Adirondacks. At 2:30 in the afternoon I was the first customer of the day, and the proprietors were about to close up early when I walked in for something to eat. A couple other patrons arrived after me. And in October I dropped close to $200 in a gear shop in the western Adirondacks.

Not to mention the fact that I've been known to produce a few items for Adirondack businesses to sell that promote others to engage in my fringe activities.

But let's not get hung up on "fringe." Because if you were to take any one outdoor activity and isolate it as a unique behavior in and of itself, then you will quickly find that they are all practiced by a minority of the overall population.

Getting back on topic, PTA! should be the first to realize that you can't take one small piece of the Finch Pruyn acquisition and use it to try and satisfy everyone. Taken in its entirety, there will already be opportunities for a variety of recreational pursuits.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #25
cityboy

When it comes to spending money in the local economy I'm sure the Gooley club would say they spent far more than future hikers. As a Camp leasee from another club I know I contribute more than any visiting recreationalist, simply because I'm there more often.

I think both DSettahr and fisher39 hit it on the head. It's about use for all the public rather than a limited few and the PTA is simply reacting to the reality of who will be making future contributions. It's called compromise and as in most compromises no one comes away completely satisfied.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote