Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
MikeT

NYS DEC Issues Backountry Advisory

NYS DEC has issued advisory that all backcountry travelers should be out of the woods and off the water by sundown on Sunday (10/28/2012).

Fish Creek camground rerservations cancelled for next week.

See link below:

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.o...e-of-emergency

Last edited by MikeT; 10-27-2012 at 11:11 AM..
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Woods Elf

Will they enforce this? Meaning will they remove you from the trail if they see you out there?
Old 10-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Limekiln

They are requiring or advising? I don't believe they have the authority to tell people they can't be in the woods, and they certainly don't have the resources to enforce it.

There are lots of guys in hunting camps right now.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
MikeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiln View Post
They are requiring or advising?
My OP and the North Country Public Radio link used the word "advise", as does the offical DEC website: http://www.dec.ny.gov/62.html

Contacting local rangers may yield more information:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/50303.html
Old 10-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Bill I.

Quote:
They are requiring or advising? I don't believe they have the authority to tell people they can't be in the woods, and they certainly don't have the resources to enforce it.
DEC does have that authority, and in fact they exercised it last year immediately after Irene when they closed the High Peaks region. No public access until they had a chance to assess the trail damage.

In 2001 they had considered closing the entire Forest Preserve through the fall, after an unusually dry summer with high fire potential. When it finally started to rain, that threat went away.

Quote:
There are lots of guys in hunting camps right now.
I weathered Floyd in a small backpacking tent beside the Oswegatchie River in 1999. Once was enough. Being in the woods during a hurricane is a highly overrated experience.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
EagleCrag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill I. View Post
Being in the woods during a hurricane is a highly overrated experience.
But one that probably makes your "most memorable" list!
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Woods Elf

Thanks for posting the links Mike. I left a message with the local ranger regarding this question. Hopefully I hear back before Monday. Otherwise I guess I will find out if they ask me to leave the trail.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
But one that probably makes your "most memorable" list!
I certainly haven't forgotten it!

Floyd's impact on the Cranberry Lake region was comparatively light. There were 13 hours of continuous rain, but little wind where I was. The Oswegatchie River was starting to flood my campsite, so I had to vacate to higher ground as soon as the rain let up.

The experience would've been all the more memorable had there been strong winds too at my location, with trees coming down all around me, but I lucked out in that respect. Floyd did cause extensive blowdown near Newcomb
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
bethfit

[QUOTE=Bill I.;192961

I weathered Floyd in a small backpacking tent beside the Oswegatchie River in 1999. Once was enough. Being in the woods during a hurricane is a highly overrated experience.[/QUOTE]

We had the "good" fortune to be at least indoors. We were at Elk Lake Lodge in North Hudson and we really thought at one point the building was gonna come down. Probably the worst storm we ever experienced-thankfully...

Two guys came stumbling into the lodge the "morning after". They had been camped at the Slide Brook Lt-they looked like they were almost in a state of shock.
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
JoeCedar

This advisory means that DEC will be pulling their own personnel out of the woods, and they may not be assigned to respond to calls which come in from people who disregard the advisory. Use some common sense.
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCedar View Post
Use some common sense.
AMEN! Flash floods, erosion problems, high winds and falling limbs. They don't make this warning lightly...
Old 10-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
rollinslover64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCedar View Post
This advisory means that DEC will be pulling their own personnel out of the woods, and they may not be assigned to respond to calls which come in from people who disregard the advisory. Use some common sense.
This is exactly what I was thinking.The entire state is now under a high wind warning.We were up hunting during a blowdown in I believe 1995.While in our tents there were trees falling all over the place and to top it off it was storm during the night so you couldn't even see them.We were already there for a few days so we didn't have advance warning.I vowed to never live that scenario again.
rollinslover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #13
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinslover64 View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking.The entire state is now under a high wind warning.We were up hunting during a blowdown in I believe 1995.While in our tents there were trees falling all over the place and to top it off it was storm during the night so you couldn't even see them.We were already there for a few days so we didn't have advance warning.I vowed to never live that scenario again.
\

Frankenstorm......nuff said... good for 2 weeks off grid.....boring food tho....$2000 a nite....

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
MikeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
\

Frankenstorm......nuff said... good for 2 weeks off grid.....boring food tho....$2000 a nite....
John,

For "$2000 per nite" can I bring Rebecca; and do we get full South Bay outhouse privileges?

You and Ann be well and safe.

Mike
Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #15
fisher39

If you spend enough time in the woods you'll have plenty of opportunities to get caught in some unexpected and dangerous weather, worthy of a good story. No need to go out in it when it can be avoided!
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
geogymn

"Instead of camping out, as I usually do, I then chanced to be stopping at the house of a friend. But when the storm began to sound, I lost no time in pushing out into the woods to enjoy it. For on such occasions Nature has always something rare to show us, and the danger to life and limb is hardly greater than one would experience crouching deprecatingly beneath a roof." John Muir
Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #17
Woods Elf

I was compelled to go into the woods as I had to clear the drains on Cascade. It was raining and breezy but no worse than what I have seen on other days on the trails. Can't wait to see what trees Sandy pulls down over night!!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
darnedsox

This:
Interactive: compare Hurricane Sandy to Irene
Old 10-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #19
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnedsox View Post
This:
Interactive: compare Hurricane Sandy to Irene

You did not specify a link. Is this it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-to-Irene.html