Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Bill I.

The Last Trailless Wilderness

The state announced today that it completed a trail to Jay Mountain:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/86455.html

Itís great that they completed this trail to what is undeniably an outstanding mountain range. The Jays offer some of the best hiking around.

At the same time, itís also worth noting that with the construction of a marked trail to Jay Mountain there are no longer any trailless wilderness areas in the Adirondacks anymore. There were once two: the Pepperbox and Jay Mountain, both small wildernesses with no official facilities of any kind. The closest thing to a "facility" in the Pepperbox was once a sign at the boundary stating there were no maintained trails. The sign is still there, but boundary expansions in 2000 and 2006 added some modest trail mileage near Croghan and Stillwater.

That left the Jay Mountain Wilderness, which had the herd path but no official trails ... until now. Not that it's upsetting, but it does seem like the end of an era.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
geogymn

It has been said that people will protect the things they love and one only loves what one knows intimately.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
fisher39

The Forest Preserve is first and foremost a recreational resource, and will be developed and utilized accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
It has been said that people will protect the things they love and one only loves what one knows intimately.
I agree, but unfortunately there is also an inverse relationship between the number of lovers and health.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher39 View Post
I agree, but unfortunately there is also an inverse relationship between the number of lovers and health.
All these years I just knew monogamy was the way to go.

Seriously, though, remoteness vanishes in tiny increment until the place you once thought remote no longer is. There are fewer and fewer places now where one can just go and get lost for a while. I wish there was a way to preserve that.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
TBPDPTI

Not to ruin the "fun", and I DO NOT condone their creation or use, but aren't there a handful of jeep trails that existed in the NW area of the Jay Mtn. wilderness which are still being illegally used by 4-wheelers?

The other 56: Summer: 55/56 (1st); 12/56 (2nd); 4/56 (3rd); 3/56 (4th) Winter: 13/56 (1st); 3/56 (2nd); 1/56 (3rd); 4th (0/56)
TBPDPTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBPDPTI View Post
Not to ruin the "fun", and I DO NOT condone their creation or use, but aren't there a handful of jeep trails that existed in the NW area of the Jay Mtn. wilderness which are still being illegally used by 4-wheelers?
The management plan for Jay mentioned this:

Quote:
E. Nonconforming Uses

1. Roads

Present Conditions

There is a dirt road leading from the Nugent Road in the town of Jay that crosses the unit for roughly 0.5 miles through Lot 86, and leads to a private dwelling that is adjacent to the unit. This is the same road that was discussed earlier under Public Use in this section. The road effectively cuts off the northeastern portion of the unit in Lot 86 from the rest of the unit. Preliminary research has yet to determine the legal status of the road. Once the status of the road is determined, management actions can be formulated.

Objective
ē Determine legal status of road through JMWA and develop management proposals based on findings.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote