Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
BreakheartDan

Question Piseco Lake to Wakely Dam

Has anyone traveled the NPT from Piseco Lake to Wakely Dam lately? I'm doing a run to/from there in 4 weeks and wondering what the conditions are like. Especially interested to know if there are a lot of blowdowns.
Thanks
BreakheartDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakheartDan View Post
Has anyone traveled the NPT from Piseco Lake to Wakely Dam lately? I'm doing a run to/from there in 4 weeks and wondering what the conditions are like. Especially interested to know if there are a lot of blowdowns.
Thanks
If a couple of my clients email me when they get out, I'll have some info. 2 should be out this weekendm the next two in about eight days.

There is also a member of this forum doing Wakely to Benson beginning the 1st of July so hopefully you'll have some info before your run.

I'm not sure but there were a couple of recent trail reports or posts from people who did the West Canada's in the last month or so. You might serarch and see who they are and PM them if they don't see this post.

hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
BreakheartDan

Halk

Any update you can provide would be great. In the meantime, I'll do a search.

Dan
Old 06-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Dan J

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakheartDan View Post
Thanks

I'm heading out June 26th doing an 8 day thru hike from Upper Benson to Lake Placid. I'll let you know how it goes. If you don't hear from me send me a PM to remind me.

Dan
Dan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
BreakheartDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan J View Post
I'm heading out June 26th doing an 8 day thru hike from Upper Benson to Lake Placid. I'll let you know how it goes. If you don't hear from me send me a PM to remind me.

Dan

Thanks Dan, Will do.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

I was thru there june 11th -14th, pisceco-wakley was Very wet, few blowdowns, nothing serious. Once past west canada lakes areas the trail became much drier and flatter. Mosquitoes where terrible thru out and at wakley, the Black flies will pick you up and carry you away.. should be able to do this in two days. hope this helps
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
BreakheartDan

Viewseeker

Thanks for the update. Maybe the weather will cooperate a bit and the trail will dry out some in the next few weeks. I doubt the insects will so kind and disappear as well.

Dan
Old 06-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
mountain chick

Dan,

I am going to add a request on to your Piseco Lake Wakely Dam trip.
I recently heard that the bridge over West Canada Creek was washed out during the winter-it's the bridge near Mud Lake. If anyone has recent information on this bridge that would be great.
mountain chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 AM   #9
BreakheartDan

Mountain Chick,

Thanks for asking the question. That's important to know. Hopefully we can get an update on it.

Dan
Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 AM   #10
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain chick View Post
Dan,

I am going to add a request on to your Piseco Lake Wakely Dam trip.
I recently heard that the bridge over West Canada Creek was washed out during the winter-it's the bridge near Mud Lake. If anyone has recent information on this bridge that would be great.
I dont remember seeing any bridges washed out, there are alot of river crossings though that rock hooping is needed , rocks were underwater on some of them but not over my boots. There is an area just before Mud lake that has logs layed down with a small bridge inbetween each side, thats where water went over my boots and along the sides look solid but is deeper underneath the grasses. if you look thru my pics you can see what im talking about.

edit: This is near the first Mud Lake. but still dont remember any bridges out.
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
Dan J

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewseeker View Post
I dont remember seeing any bridges washed out, there are alot of river crossings though that rock hooping is needed , rocks were underwater on some of them but not over my boots. There is an area just before Mud lake that has logs layed down with a small bridge inbetween each side, thats where water went over my boots and along the sides look solid but is deeper underneath the grasses. if you look thru my pics you can see what im talking about.

edit: This is near the first Mud Lake. but still dont remember any bridges out.

I do not remember there being a problem crossing the West Canada Creek. Up to there the trail was in good shape minus some mud around Spruce Lake. I stayed in the West Canada Lake Lean-to and there was a lot of rain that night. From West Canada Lake to Wakely Dam was the worst part of the trail with numerous blow downs and interesting stream crossings. All of the small streams were flooded over their banks, so I got wet at most crossings. In general the blow downs were nothing I couldn't easily get around, but some streams I had to walk a ways upstream to cross. There was one stream just after the Cedar Lakes that had a two log bridge with one log broken and the other not to far behind it. We crossed it successfully, but it wasn't fun. Again, this is just based on my experience following a lot of rain.
Dan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
BreakheartDan

Thanks for the update Dan. Sounds like you had a good time even with the rain.