Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
jam66

Lows Lake Paddling Time??

Anyone have an idea how long it would take to paddle form the Lower Dam to the main body of Lows Lake with a lightly loaded canoe(MNII) ,2 experienced paddlers?s Its been many years since I've been there. I figured the distance at 8 miles. Is that correct?
jam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam66 View Post
Anyone have an idea how long it would take to paddle form the Lower Dam to the main body of Lows Lake with a lightly loaded canoe(MNII) ,2 experienced paddlers?s Its been many years since I've been there. I figured the distance at 8 miles. Is that correct?
I've done this many times. Two experienced paddlers with a light load in a MinnII can make the short 3 mile trip between lower dam and upper dam in about 45-50 minutes. An hour easily. How long for the short carry from the landing to put-in above the upper dam? It always takes longer than you expect. Unload, single trip, load back in the water, 15-20 minutes. If you must double trip, add another 15.

It is another 4.4 miles from the upper dam to BSA property of Lookout Point, where the main lake obviously opens up wide. It can be done in an hour in a MinnII without much effort, figure easily 90 minutes against the normally present mid-day head wind. So you've got a total of less than 3 hours without a sweat - if you simply want to get from point to point. But do take more time to enjoy the area.

I've made it from the lower dam to the north end of Grass Pond paddling solo in a tandem canoe in less than 3.5 hours without working too hard, but I was on my to much deeper destinations where I would then spend more time , so I wasn't paddling in at a leisurely pace.

Last edited by Wldrns; 08-22-2014 at 12:35 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I generally recommend to plan for it to take the majority of a full days paddle to get all the way to Grass Pond. As wldrns stated, it can be done in a half day if really want to do it that quickly, but when you factor in time spent loading the canoe, exploring the islands and taking in the sights along the way, and doing the portage, you'll usually find that you don't get there very quickly.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

Pretty good advice.

First time it took me two days to get out and 3 hrs to get back.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote