Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
runslikeajohndeere

Green Garnets

Has anyone else stumbled across green garnets in the ADKs? I believe they are called demantoids or andradites, and some have been discovered in Quebec. My son picked up a few stones with hundreds of glittering green stones embedded while we were bushwacking, and he thinks of the stones as his treasure. I'm not sure what he has, and my inept geological sense has me wondering what have we found.
runslikeajohndeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Prometheus
Adrift

From USGS.gov:

"New York.--Deposits of industrial garnet are found at two locations in New York. In the Gore Mountain area, industrial garnet is mined as the primary product; and near the town of Willsboro, byproduct of it is recovered as wollastonite mining.

The deposit near Gore Mountain is an almandite-bearing diorite of uncertain, igneous or metamorphic origin. The garnet is present as imperfectly developed crystals surrounded by a rim of coarsely crystalline hornblende. The crystals range from about 1 millimeter to almost 1 meter in diameter but average about 100 millimeters in diameter. The garnet has a pronounced laminated structure, which enables it to naturally break into thin plates from about 2 to 6 millimeters in thickness. Garnet fragments maintain this platy particle shape even as they are crushed smaller and smaller.

These same deposits in Warren County contain good to fine quality facet-grade garnets. The garnet is a solid solution of pyrope-almandite-grossularite that results in a pleasant deep brownish-red material which often has an orange cast. Beautiful small stones can be cut, but larger stones are too dark to be attractive"
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Bob K

I've never seen green garnet stones but did happen to see some small, traditional red ones yesterday on the summit of Buck Mtn. No where near the quantity or size near Gore or the Garnet Hill area but interestingly at about the same elevation as the former + current commercial mines around 2300 ft.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
ChrisX24

Green Garnets

Yes. Lots of RED garnets to be found underfoot when hiking up the gravel road to Mt. Gore. Apparently they recycled the mine detritus as road filler on the hiking path. Took home about 10 nice red garnet stones. No green, though. I was working on my Fire Tower challenge.
46R #5621 -- NE111 #627 -- CL50 #343 -- Firetowers Quest 28/28 -- Welsh 3000s -- working on TO54, NPT
ChrisX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Rusty and the Maniac

You have found diopside.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
runslikeajohndeere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty and the Maniac View Post
You have found diopside.
Thanks. Sounds and looks correct.
runslikeajohndeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Rusty and the Maniac

No prob, i knew that geology degree would pay off some day!!
Old 01-23-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
jwwalker81
TrailRunner

could be green garnets or diopside

Depending on the general area he was bushwacking it could either be green grossular garnet or green diopside or even possible andradite garnets. Any idea where he was when he picked them up?
jwwalker81 is offline   Reply With Quote