Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2019, 12:48 AM   #41
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Or how about taking a dump in every thunderbox?
That's even better yet. But SOME of them are real nasty.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:51 AM   #42
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I've often wondered why nobody has started a "46 walking backwards" club. It seems like that or hopping on one foot should be the logical next thing, and either would have the advantage of making the participants instantly identifiable to one another when they met on the trail.
Zach
Very Good Zach! (Cabin fever is starting early this year).
Old 12-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #43
backwoodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Or how about taking a dump in every thunderbox?
Please , no pictures .
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #44
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
Please , no pictures .
What...No love for the Thunderbox Selfie?

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #45
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
They are hemlock from my property, which I had logged last summer and sent these logs to my buddy who has a sawmill. He cut them flat on three sides (D-logs). Other than the floor base, the rest of the lumber is hemlock also. Heavy stuff to work with. It's not perfect, as I'm no contractor, but we like it.
Even with the "official" lean-tos, it's assumed that there is a fair amount of leeway with regards to making it "perfect." If something doesn't fit right upon assembly... it will be made to fit.

Quote:
Sorry DSettahr, didn't mean to get away from your original post. You should write a book about ADK lean-tos.
No worries, I think it's relevant. (And it would be hypocritical of me to be upset with anyone else contributing to thread drift, also. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
It looks like the stone ones may have integral fireplaces? Is that right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Your collection of pictures is great, I had not seen the stone kind before.
Yeah, the stone ones look neat at least- they're all in the Hudson Highlands (Appalachian Trail, Harriman State Park, and such). Honestly, though, as far as comfort... they tend to be kind of cold and damp (and a little bit smelly), especially during the colder months of the year. There's usually at least a wood platform to set up on. (A couple of them even have wooden bunk beds.) And yeah, some of them have built in stone fire places, which is neat nonetheless.

AT shelters in general can get really, really elaborate- with covered porches for cooking/hanging out, bunk beds, lofts, skylights, springs piped right to the shelter, etc.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #46
Woodly

Great pic...lol...I see the can was insulated in case you bumped against it
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #47
Buckladd

I can't "un-see" that, but this helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVRxY8hSk68
Old 12-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #48
nutmeg creeker

Reply to JUSTIN
Having a cold one takes on a new level of meaning
Old 12-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #49
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
I can't "un-see" that, but this helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVRxY8hSk68
Are you sure you didn't get that from Sero?
Old 12-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #50
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Are you sure you didn't get that from Sero?
Ya never know. We know that band from Jennybrook Bluegrass Fest. in VT.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #51
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg creeker View Post
Reply to JUSTIN
Having a cold one takes on a new level of meaning

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #52
SacandagaSchout

I hope this isnít hijacking the thread, and I hate to distract from that amazing photo of Justin, but this post got me counting my own lean-tos that Iíve stayed at. And I remember I stayed at two lean-tos on a college trip, but I just canít remember where.

Hereís what I remember: It was a two-night thru hike. Early on the first day the hike switch-backed straight up a big hill. The first lean-to was set back uphill in some trees, I donít remember the body of water it was on, e.g., stream, pond, flow. The second lean-to was in a flat clearing, just off a large pond with a great view and a nice big sandy beach. The hike was within a 45 minute drive of Camp Sagamore.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SacandagaSchout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #53
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacandagaSchout View Post
I hope this isnít hijacking the thread, and I hate to distract from that amazing photo of Justin, but this post got me counting my own lean-tos that Iíve stayed at. And I remember I stayed at two lean-tos on a college trip, but I just canít remember where.

Hereís what I remember: It was a two-night thru hike. Early on the first day the hike switch-backed straight up a big hill. The first lean-to was set back uphill in some trees, I donít remember the body of water it was on, e.g., stream, pond, flow. The second lean-to was in a flat clearing, just off a large pond with a great view and a nice big sandy beach. The hike was within a 45 minute drive of Camp Sagamore.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
My guess would be Tirrell Pond for the second lean-to- there's a sand beach on the north shore of the pond near the lean-to.

Logically, the first lean-to was probably also along the NPT if that is the case- but switchbacks is kind of hard to place on the NPT (as that trail is known for being pretty flat). Maybe Stephens Pond? If you were coming from Camp Sagamore, it would make sense if you were dropped off at the Cascade Pond trailhead, hiked to Stephens Pond and camped there, hiked north on the NPT to Tirrell Pond and camped there, then hiked out to the Blue Mountain trailhead to get picked up. Easily shuttling to/from Camp Sagamore that way.

South Lake in the West Canada Lakes also comes to mind given your description of the second lean-to, but that would be pretty well outside your "45 minute from Camp Sagamore" criteria.

Another option would be something in the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness, but beaches and switchbacks aren't ringing any bells there, either.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #54
webby459

D, if it was Cascade to Stephens, NPT to Tirrell, they may remember a few things. Soon after getting on the trail to Cascade, they will have gone over a pretty long pier bridge over the western end of Durant, Rock Pond. Then the approach to Cascade, there's the two-hewn-log crossing over the waterfall outlet from Cascade, then the 50 yards of large bolder-strewn trail to the Cascade lt.

I happen to really like the trail from Cascade to the npt/Stephens Pond, but it's admittedly unremarkable.

Going from Stephens Pond on the NPT to Tirrell, they will have gone through Lake Durant SP, through a camp site, past the bathroom and shower buidling, and a road bridge over a Durant outlet. They will have crossed route 28 at Durant to get to Tirrell.

Switchbacks don't stand out to me on this route, there are some rollers before getting to Cascade though that maybe sufficed. When I think of switchbacks I think of the western approach to 5th Peak on the Tongue range, or a section by Cranberry Lake I think on the Otter Brook or South Bay trail. But Cranberry Lake doesn't suit the criteria of being close to Camp Sagamore.

Edit add: there are more of what I'd consider to be switchbacks on the NPT coming from Wakely to Stephens Pond, they could have been dropped at Wakely and gone to Tirrell. It does take me an extra ~half hour to get from 28 by the golf course to Wakely though.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:57 PM   #55
SacandagaSchout

Thanks so much for your help, guys. I hadn't responded because I wanted to get back home and check a few of my external hard drives for a photo of the crew at the end of the trail, in front of several trail signs, that I know is out there somewhere (the original owner deleted her Facebook). But I couldn't find it.

I think you're absolutely right that the second lean-to was Tirrell. That definitely looks like the spot. Facing south across the lake, are there prominent boulders on the shore on the left side of the lake? I remember challenging our guide to a swim race out to them. Funny what you remember and what you forget.

As for the first lean-to, I've looked at some photos, including D's, and I feel like it may have been Cascade Pond we were camped at. I don't remember going through Lake Durant campground, but that would make sense for a guide to take a group he doesn't know through that way so we'd never be more than half a day's hike into the woods.

I believe that photo showed us on a dirt road. We were sprawled out relaxing waiting for the shuttle back to Sagamore. So probably not Route 28. Could it have been Salmon Pond Road? Is the trail well-signed there where it lets out onto the road?
SacandagaSchout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #56
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

If my memory serves, much of the trail between Tirrell Pond and the Blue Mountain trailhead follows an old road- so it's possible that the photo may have shown you on that trail.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:31 PM   #57
TrailBlaser

A great piece of work! Really fascinating to go through all the images, noting the unique features of each one. Thanks so much for sharing these, much appreciated!
Old 12-30-2019, 10:19 PM   #58
JW

What a treasure! Publish! Would love to see some of the non existent ones from my yout - wolf jaws and lake tear. Was spruce lake 2 in the last couple years? will have to find a Photo I have from the late 80's when it was a lot more rustic - giant yellow birch smashed across the original fireplace. I think we were the second crew to stay in Holmes lake after our ranger , who i think helped build it about 10 years ago - John Ploss , stayed the first night. Lot o' memories in that thread!
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #59
JohnnyMac

Thank you for sharing this!

Lots of ADK folks are nostalgic about Fire Towers, even Out Houses. I'm a leanto guy and in awe of the effort you put into this project. Not just for taking, processing the photos but spending a night in each shelter.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #60
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
A great piece of work! Really fascinating to go through all the images, noting the unique features of each one. Thanks so much for sharing these, much appreciated!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
What a treasure! Publish! Would love to see some of the non existent ones from my yout - wolf jaws and lake tear. Was spruce lake 2 in the last couple years? will have to find a Photo I have from the late 80's when it was a lot more rustic - giant yellow birch smashed across the original fireplace. I think we were the second crew to stay in Holmes lake after our ranger , who i think helped build it about 10 years ago - John Ploss , stayed the first night. Lot o' memories in that thread!
All of the photos of the Spruce Lake Lean-tos are somewhat recent; they are from my NPT thru-hike in October 2013. So the photo was taken after Spruce Lake #2 was relocated back away from the water.

I haven't met John Ploss but I did teach his son/nephew (can't remember which) when I was an adjunct at Paul Smith's. The son/nephew was also the seasonal assistant ranger assigned to the West Canada Lakes for a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
Thank you for sharing this!

Lots of ADK folks are nostalgic about Fire Towers, even Out Houses. I'm a leanto guy and in awe of the effort you put into this project. Not just for taking, processing the photos but spending a night in each shelter.
Thanks! I agree that trying to stay in them all is a pretty neat idea for a challenge. It's definitely taken me to some really unique, neat, out of the way locations that I likely never would've devoted the time to visit otherwise.

The Finger Lakes Trail especially has a lot of really nice lean-tos that get hardly any use. What I've seen of the FLT has definitely piqued my interest enough that if I ever had the time, I'd seriously consider a thru-hike of the trail (plus maybe adding on the Allegheny National Forest section of the North Country Trail).

Last edited by DSettahr; 01-20-2020 at 08:10 PM..